Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Yes I know
    The issue is the stabilizers IMO. I can without a doubt say that every camper that pulled in and out beside us this season (likely over 50 units) all used an impact gun to stabilize. As I have stated I always level my trailer with the axles then deploy slides then stabilize

The shorter the trailer ,like yours, imo they flex much less
    The reflections like in this post have auto leveling. To think there is minimal torque applied to the frame and body when auto leveling on these long units can be a problem IMO
    IF I owned an auto leveling coach I would always still level with the axles first then deploy slides then hit the auto level
    It might be something you would do, but I believe the manual actually says to auto-level first, then deploy the slides.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just brought home from dealer, slide inop already!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    It might be something you would do, but I believe the manual actually says to auto-level first, then deploy the slides.
    It says to “auto level” or “level”?
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It says to “auto level” or “level”?
    Level, and stabilizers down. Every 5th wheel I've had say to level, put down the stabilizers and then extend the slides. Auto-level says not to extend slides until the trailer is leveled with the legs down. I've never seen one that recommended extending the slides before the trailer was level and stabilized. Your way runs counter to everything I've seen recommended by the manufacturers.

I'm not saying it's wrong, per se, but not recommended by the builders. But if it works for you...

But I could be wrong, it's happened before.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Hoopy Frood; I've never seen one that recommended extending the slides before the trailer was level and stabilized. Your way runs counter to everything I've seen recommended by the manufacturers.

. [/QUOTE]

I have never once said to not level the trailer. This is a very important part it is the stabilizers that “I”think are the issue
    With an auto level system it could lift the wheels off the ground or at least almost lift on the slide side. This would have to allow the frame to flex some
    I know on my 2400 bh the bathroom door does not latch I “can” make it latch by over wrenching the stabilizers which must mean I am flexing the frame
    But again I have never said to “not” level first. This is a very important step
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never once said to not level the trailer. This is a very important part it is the stabilizers that “I”think are the issue
    With an auto level system it could lift the wheels off the ground or at least almost lift on the slide side. This would have to allow the frame to flex some
    I know on my 2400 bh the bathroom door does not latch I “can” make it latch by over wrenching the stabilizers which must mean I am flexing the frame
    But again I have never said to “not” level first. This is a very important step
    But notice the "stabilized" part. You've repeatedly said you extend your slides before you put down the stabilizers. I'm just saying all the information I've read
    say to level and put the stabilizers down before extending the slides. Personally I see no issues with the auto-level lifting the tires off the ground in certain
    instances. Grand Design says not to do this for "safety reasons". But I think it's just a CYA.

We'll just have to agree to disagree about this particular issue.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    But notice the "stabilized" part. You've repeatedly said you extend your slides before you put down the stabilizers. I'm just saying all the information I've read
    say to level and put the stabilizers down before extending the slides. Personally I see no issues with the auto-level lifting the tires off the ground in certain
    instances. Grand Design says not to do this for "safety reasons". But I think it's just a CYA.

We'll just have to agree to disagree about this particular issue.
    I am just trying to figure out what is causing such grief for some and zero problems for others
    Just a theory of mine
    Have a great day
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I make sure I deploy and retract my slide before any stabilization is done Doesn’t your trailer have auto leveling? I would never use it before deploying slide
    This statement is in contradiction to my owner's manual. My manual specifically states as the first step, "1) Level and stabilize the RV." (page 125 of the 2017 Solitude owners manual)
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
    This statement is in contradiction to my owner's manual. My manual specifically states as the first step, "1) Level and stabilize the RV." (page 125 of the 2017 Solitude owners manual)
    And what makes the owners manual correct?
    If you read this entire post I stress to level the trailer first The issue is with auto leveling is that it could theoretically lift the wheels off of the ground which would undoubtedly flex the frame and body
    If you don’t agree with this that is okay. It is my opinion it does
    Now with coach’s without auto leveling it has been my experience that everyone uses an impact gun to run down stabilizers
    Imo this can flex the frame also.
    This is all theory but something is binding these slides so that they jump track and fail

I use a level mate pro on my trailer. I back in and always level side to side immediately then unhook and level nose. Hook up power and then deploy my Schwintek. It glides out flawlessly. Then I drop my stabilizers with the hand crank
    YMMV
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And what makes the owners manual correct?
    If you read this entire post I stress to level the trailer first The issue is with auto leveling is that it could theoretically lift the wheels off of the ground which would undoubtedly flex the frame and body
    If you don’t agree with this that is okay. It is my opinion it does
    Now with coach’s without auto leveling it has been my experience that everyone uses an impact gun to run down stabilizers
    Imo this can flex the frame also.
    This is all theory but something is binding these slides so that they jump track and fail

I use a level mate pro on my trailer. I back in and always level side to side immediately then unhook and level nose. Hook up power and then deploy my Schwintek. It glides out flawlessly. Then I drop my stabilizers with the hand crank
    YMMV
    We are in violent agreement that no one data point (such as an owners manual) makes anything correct, and it is up to each owner to form their own opinion. I simply provided a factual data point to add to the ability of owners to form their own opinion.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my thoughts and why I do it the way I do it. First, I think that there's a difference between tt and 5th and also rig length. Second, the manufacturer does state to level and stabilize the rig first. So if you level the rig, then extend the slide before stabilizing, the weight of the slide will put the rig out of level.
    The manufacturer also states that stabilizers are not to be used to level. So, if one ignores it or chooses not to read the manual or follow instructions then......
    And yes, we've all seen some using impacts as if they were removing a rusted lug nut from a tire.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast