Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

337 RLS replacing refrigerator

Has anyone replaced their refrigerator in this unit with a 12 volt model?
    Not sure I want to go to a residential model but like what I have read about the 12 v model.
    D & J
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2014 F350, 6.7, Anderson Ultimate

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieline View Post
    Has anyone replaced their refrigerator in this unit with a 12 volt model?
    Not sure I want to go to a residential model but like what I have read about the 12 v model.
    I'm not sure what model fridge in in yours, but instead of replacing the whole fridge, we went to JC Refrigeration and had our Norcold 2118 absorption fridge converter to a 12VDC fridge with twin compressors. I've written about the conversion several times on here and it was money well spent as far as I'm concerned. Today, we are camping and the outside air temperature is right at 90° and the afternoon sun is on the fridge side of the trailer. Here is a pic of the Accurite temperature sensors display unit......fridge and freezer. Not to bad and certainly a lot better than before, when it was OEM and not so good as an absorption fridge.....

2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. I have read about the conversion but unfortunately won't solve one of our problems. I like the idea but here is our issue.
    Last year while we were away from our trailer for 3 weeks (trailer was in an RV park on a seasonal site). The trailer was unplugged (I noticed the cable was laying different than what I had done) and who ever plugged it back in did not seat the plug, no power. Well the refrigerator stopped working and defrosted the freezer. Yes I should have emptied the refrigerator. A costco size bag of chicken wings were in the freezer. Need I saw more?
    Have worked for a long time to get rid of the odor but it's still there.
    D & J
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2014 F350, 6.7, Anderson Ultimate

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The folks we sold our 2016 Reflection 337 to replaced the Norcold 1210 with a residential fridge - not sure what make or model. The 12VDC compressor fridges are working well in other, newer GD models (with the exception of the Furrion fridges which seem to have a higher failure rate). Most of the on-line stores that sell RV parts and appliances are carrying them now. The main thing to keep in mind is that, unless you've already done so, you'll need to upgrade your battery bank and probably install some solar. For a residential fridge, an inverter would also be needed. For the 12VDC fridges, check RecPro. They have a line they've put their own brand name on.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had an Atwood refrigerator that came in our 2015 model 323BHS. Due to an accident, the insurance company replaced it. We have a local RV refrigerator reman. business, and he suggested I just go with a same size (and comparable) Dometic refrigerator that was an ammonia unit. Lippert had bought Atwood and they were doing away with fridges.

Swapping out the units was easy, however I had to cut some of the insulation off the fiberglass in the back to get it to fit. I didn't like the way that Grand Design had the side mounted chimney in the slide and how the exhaust fan was mounted. The entire cavity around my refrigerator was full of hot air. I rebuilt baffles in the chimney to take the hot air exhaust straight out the back, and the fridge performs great.

I didn't go with a residential unit. The present two door fridge does fine, and I'm fortunate to have a 4 cu. ft. electric fridge in my outside kitchen for additional cold storage.