User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must have gotten lucky. Ordered Jan ‘22. I got the 18k GVWR, but I don’t think the dealer asked for it.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post

“There is nothing special about the bearings on the 8K axles - just heavier-duty versions of what's on the 7K axles. Maintenance is the same.”

Rob
    When I did my disk brake conversion I went with the oil bath hubs. When you do this you get 9/16” studs and the outer bearing is larger. The inner bearing is the same size as a 7k axle set up. You had to go this route in order to get the threads to screw on the outer fill cap.

The only issue I had was right from the beginning the seals did not seal up well and leaked out my oil. I found a much better two piece seal and have had no issue with well over 7k mikes on the set up.

Yes disk brakes are the greatest, I’m not sure why they are not standard equipment in heavier trailers.

Keith
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F2B7E589-FEE3-47CB-9DDC-97BDFE9BA7C0.jpeg  
    2021 F350 CC LB
    DW, diesel, 4x4
    2020 Momentum 320G

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I had a conversation with a MORryde engineer about this after it was suggesting by a Coast Guard naval engineer in our FamCamp that I could do that with the hubs on our IS. (This naval engineer admitted that he's used to working with machinery that it takes a hoist to lift.) The MORryde engineer's response was that they don't recommend it. He explained that the tractor trailers that use oil bath can count the internal volume of the hubs and axles in liters - similar to the rear axles on our trucks that have a cavity all the way across and a large volume of lubricant; the internal space of the hubs on our rigs is measured in milliliters. The resulting lack of air space for oil to expand into (compressing the air) results in much higher pressures in the smaller hubs, forcing oil out the seals and sometimes compromising the oil caps. If it weren't for that, I would also love to gain the maintenance advantages of oil bath. Can you point me to some reputable sources to do some more reading?

Rob
    I just had Morryde IS/Disk brakes installed on my Solitude. They told me that the bearing covers had "oil bath only" on them. This was apparently the only cover they had found that would not break frequently and they specifically told me to use grease only! For all of the reasons that Rob listed above, along with the fact that semis operate constantly, while RVs sit a lot. The oil settles and corrosion can occur on the top half of the bearing.

So, Rob is correct. Use grease only.

BTW, the brakes and suspension are the BOMB!!! Especially the brakes!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiejack75 View Post
    I just had Morryde IS/Disk brakes installed on my Solitude. They told me that the bearing covers had "oil bath only" on them. This was apparently the only cover they had found that would not break frequently and they specifically told me to use grease only! For all of the reasons that Rob listed above, along with the fact that semis operate constantly, while RVs sit a lot. The oil settles and corrosion can occur on the top half of the bearing.

So, Rob is correct. Use grease only.

BTW, the brakes and suspension are the BOMB!!! Especially the brakes!
    At least in my case, I am not buying the dry bearings issue. I have a 1985 Camaro IROCZ that I purchased new. For the last 30 years I have only driven it every 2 years, when it needs to be emission tested. I usually burn a tank of gas out of it, refuel it, wash it and put it to bed for another 2 years. I haven't had any bearing issues.... Yes I know the wheel bearings have grease,,, but many other bearings like the rear end and tranny do not. This has not proven to be a problem for 30 years. I think my Momentum's bearings will be fine when I go to oil bath. They will likely out live me
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    At least in my case, I am not buying the dry bearings issue. I have a 1985 Camaro IROCZ that I purchased new. For the last 30 years I have only driven it every 2 years, when it needs to be emission tested. I usually burn a tank of gas out of it, refuel it, wash it and put it to bed for another 2 years. I haven't had any bearing issues.... Yes I know the wheel bearings have grease,,, but many other bearings like the rear end and tranny do not. This has not proven to be a problem for 30 years. I think my Momentum's bearings will be fine when I go to oil bath. They will likely out live me
    I agree with you, I haven’t worried about my wet hubs at all.
    2021 F350 CC LB
    DW, diesel, 4x4
    2020 Momentum 320G

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am just relating what I was told at Morryde on delivery of my install.

But what do they know anyhow? They just engineer and build the system.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, TBH, driving it for a tankful of gas every couple years, you could probably run the differential and transmission dry with no ill effects for many years.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 12000 lb boat I tow on a 3 axel trailer. It’s built by EZ loader has oil hubs and disc brakes. Never had a problem with it in over 10k miles of towing. Can’t see where oil base hubs would be a problem.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Well, TBH, driving it for a tankful of gas every couple years, you could probably run the differential and transmission dry with no ill effects for many years.
    You have not seen the way I drive it.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have not seen the way I drive it.
    Well, there is that. LOL
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast