User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

8k axle and electric over hydraulic upgrade

For those of you that have it from the factory, specifically on the G class 5th wheels, what do you think about the stopping power? How much of an increase in payload/gross weight do you see? I'll have a pioneer 700-4 in the garage that weighs about 1500lbs so I'll be close on weight if I stick with the 7k axles. Are the bearings still the traditional kind and if so, how is maintenance on them?

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we converted our Reflection fifth wheel from electric drum to EOH disc brakes (with the MORryde independent suspension installation), there was about a 40% decrease in stopping distance.

There is nothing special about the bearings on the 8K axles - just heavier-duty versions of what's on the 7K axles. Maintenance is the same.

On the Solitude 310GK, the factory 8K axles with disc brakes option increases the GVWR from 15,000 lbs. to 18,000 lbs. (it's not just about the weight). As an aftermarket upgrade, though, nothing can change the GVWR sticker that came on the trailer from the factory. You'll have more peace of mind - even if "legal" GVWR doesn't change.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hydraulic disc brakes alone are worth it. The stopping power is night and day better than the electric drum brakes. On my trailer (320G), the GVWR went from 16,800 lbs to 18,000 lbs by putting on the larger axle. Put a couple of bikes, or a heavy toy like you mentioned, add any water, and you will be over the 7K axle weight rating for the trailer. With the 8K axle's you most likely will not be over the axle weight.

Maintenance is easier with the disc brakes. Looked at my pads, and with 10,000 miles, maybe a 1/4 has been used, if even that. Bearings are the same, and maintenance is no different than any other.

One thing to know, is that in order for the higher GVWR, the 8K lb axle's must be done on the production line, if you do it yourself afterwards with all the same parts, it will still be listed as the lower GVWR, they will not increase it after production even though it would be the same.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 08-26-2022 at 07:34 AM.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    When we converted our Reflection fifth wheel from electric drum to EOH disc brakes (with the MORryde independent suspension installation), there was about a 40% decrease in stopping distance.

There is nothing special about the bearings on the 8K axles - just heavier-duty versions of what's on the 7K axles. Maintenance is the same.

On the Solitude 310GK, the factory 8K axles with disc brakes option increases the GVWR from 15,000 lbs. to 18,000 lbs. (it's not just about the weight). As an aftermarket upgrade, though, nothing can change the GVWR sticker that came on the trailer from the factory. You'll have more peace of mind - even if "legal" GVWR doesn't change.

Rob
    Did you mean 40% better over drum brakes?
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Did you mean 40% better over drum brakes?
    Yes - a 40% decrease in stopping distance means the EOH brakes stopped the rig in 60% the distance of the electric drum brakes. The difference was astounding.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the 8k axles and EOH brakes. Once you get used to them, they are amazing. They have a little delay as the bump builds pressure but you get used to it after the first few brake applications. Very happy we had them installed on our unit when it was in production.
    Former 2022 Solitude 310GKR w/8K axles & disc brakes, factory solar
    Formerly 2019 Reflection 230RL, 2019 Reflection 320MKS, and 2015 Outback Terrain 230TRS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post

One thing to know, is that in order for the higher GVWR, the 8K lb axle's must be done on the production line, if you do it yourself afterwards with all the same parts, it will still be listed as the lower GVWR, they will not increase it after production even though it would be the same.
    Whatever I end up getting, I'll be ordering it from the factory with this upgrade.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    Whatever I end up getting, I'll be ordering it from the factory with this upgrade.
    In that case, I have three responses: 1) yes, 2) yes, and 3) yes.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post

Rob
    From what I have read, there is one big advantage in favor of 8K axles. You can convert to oil bath hubs. I will be doing this at service time.
    Then the maintainence is a lot less frequent.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    From what I have read, there is one big advantage in favor of 8K axles. You can convert to oil bath hubs. I will be doing this at service time.
    Then the maintainence is a lot less frequent.
    I had a conversation with a MORryde engineer about this after it was suggesting by a Coast Guard naval engineer in our FamCamp that I could do that with the hubs on our IS. (This naval engineer admitted that he's used to working with machinery that it takes a hoist to lift.) The MORryde engineer's response was that they don't recommend it. He explained that the tractor trailers that use oil bath can count the internal volume of the hubs and axles in liters - similar to the rear axles on our trucks that have a cavity all the way across and a large volume of lubricant; the internal space of the hubs on our rigs is measured in milliliters. The resulting lack of air space for oil to expand into (compressing the air) results in much higher pressures in the smaller hubs, forcing oil out the seals and sometimes compromising the oil caps. If it weren't for that, I would also love to gain the maintenance advantages of oil bath. Can you point me to some reputable sources to do some more reading?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast