User Tag List

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

T‑Mobile Takes Coverage Above and Beyond With SpaceX

This could be a game-changer! Coverage everywhere via satellite using most cellphones.

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/un-car...nd-with-spacex
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well. that could certainly be a game changer.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been waiting for this. It is only a matter of time till cell phones go the way of rotary phones.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read about this on a tech news site that I read, and there are a couple of caveats that aren’t clear from the PR statement. 1) They’re anticipating supporting only text and voice (no data) at first. 2) This requires a new version of Starlink’s satellites, and those satellites require SpaceX’s new rocket which has not had a test launch yet.

That being said, being able to use your phone instead of having to get a dedicated satellite messenger would be really nice.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having grown up with the rotary on Ma Bell, with the cord my sisters stretched to unreal lengths and knotted, to my first cell phone in 1994 - "the brick" after a legion of pagers, to the unreal commuting power in the palm of our hands today... Technology has been incredible in the course of my lifetime!

It's been great to use Starlink from the camper - effectively - for Teams, Zoom, and VoIP, such partnering would open a whole new dimension to instant communication - good or bad, the perspective is yours... It'll be some time before Starship is deploying v2.0s to put a capable mesh is in place, but really fascinating what's on the horizon!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a good review from what I consider a trusted source.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading the article, I'm confused on how this will make it any better for those areas that dont have coverage in far remote areas. Sure, Musks satelites can propagate communications around the world (as does other satelites currently do BTW) without interference from earths geography or land based limitations. But, the article stated that current cell phone tech would not need to be updated and could use this new network as is. Maybe, Ive been asleep technology wise for the last year or so, but dont cell phones still need towers or transmission structures of some kind to convert whatever signal to cell, and broadcast/recieve such signal no matter what backbone their service/capacity is using?

Agree that beaming up/down to these "converters/broadcast/receivers" would be less expensive and possibly easier than running wire/fiber, but, land (and all the access issues), terrestrial interference, power requirements, numbers needed and the maintainability of, are just a few questions that come to mind. And if they only do limited service as what the video supplied mentioned direct from the sats, it sounds like capacity and/or terrestrial issues could still exist.

Otherwise, sure I can't wait till we colonize the moon.
    Last edited by trailrydr; 08-27-2022 at 03:23 PM.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    After reading the article, I'm confused on how this will make it any better for those areas that dont have coverage in far remote areas. Sure, Musks satelites can propagate communications around the world (as does other satelites currently do BTW) without interference from earths geography or land based limitations. But, the article stated that current cell phone tech would not need to be updated and could use this new network as is. Maybe, Ive been asleep technology wise for the last year or so, but dont cell phones still need towers or transmission structures of some kind to convert whatever signal to cell, and broadcast/recieve such signal no matter what backbone their service/capacity is using?
    The satellites would act like cell towers. I’m assuming that’s part of the reason they’re only supporting text and voice, because the signal won’t be strong enough from orbit to transmit much data.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This isn't new, technology you can already have. The new part would be the utilizing the cell phone all in one, rather than two devices.

I currently use an InReach that pairs to my phone then connects to Satellite. It has SOS & the ability to txt or email using my phone contacts. Beides all the GPS capability.

I've been using this for years as a backcountry snowmobiler & traveling remote rural areas.

They have added a new device called Zoleo that will seamlessly hand your phone off to WiFi, satellite or cell service. I will most likely upgrade to this late this year or early next.

What this does not do like T mobile is have data plans or voice communications. That will be new when it happens.
    2022 Solitude 310GK, Factory option Include, Dual Pane Winders, Slide Toppers, Solar pacakge, Gen Prep, Pull Out Kitchen & Heat Pump
    Cheaters list so far Includes, Snap Pads, 2ea 200ah Smart Heated Lithium Batteries
    2014 Sierra 3500HD Duramax LWB SRW