Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slow Draining Gray Tank

Just purchased a new Imagine TT and seem to have a problem with the gray tank draining correctly (this trailer only has one gray tank). This is my fourth trailer and my experience draining gray tanks has always been that they drain pretty fast and with enough force to flush out the sewer hose after draining the black tank first. However, this new gray tank drains at about half the volume (when the tank is clear full) that I have experienced with my past trailers (all of the drain plumbing is the same size as on my other trailers). So, I don't get enough flush force/volume to adequately flush out the sewer hose after draining the black tank, and it takes a long time to drain (haven't actually timed it yet) which creates a problem at the dump station when others are in line behind me. The gate valve lever seems to be working correctly. I have an endoscope that I can use with my cell phone, but I can't get it to go past two 90-degree bends to get up to the valve. So, while I will be taking the trailer back to the dealer in a couple of weeks for several warranty items and will mention this issue, I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem with your gray tank(s).
    Last edited by littleapple; 08-27-2022 at 03:50 PM.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been problems reported when a cut-out disc (created when the holes for the vents are cut in the tanks) is allowed to fall into the tank and left there. The disc can then make its way to the outlet with the flow of liquids and either partially or completely block the outlet. The fiberoptic scope is a great way to find out whether or not this is the case - too bad you can't get it past the bends. Does the valve handle seem to travel it's full stroke length?

BTW - welcome to the forum and the Grand Design family. You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine doesn’t drain with a big rush either
    I noticed this more this year than last though
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is slow as well. I try to get it to full and the wife tells me the sink is ot draining fast. Then it has a good rush for half an empty and then slows considerably.
    Randy and Kris

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the welcome! Yes, the valve handle has the same stroke as the black tank.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littleapple View Post
    Thanks for the welcome! Yes, the valve handle has the same stroke as the black tank.
    It sounds, from what others are saying, that the slowness may be a "feature" of that model. Perhaps your dealer can shed some light when you take it in.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On mine, it will start off with a good flow, then at the end it's what I call a never ending trickle. When ever I get a reason to drop the coroplast, I'll investigate the gray tank. Maybe it's on an angle or maybe there's not enough angle on the drain tube.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get the same. Bug rush then the never ending trickle. When it trickles I shut the valve and move on. Not especially patient.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    On mine, it will start off with a good flow, then at the end it's what I call a never ending trickle. When ever I get a reason to drop the coroplast, I'll investigate the gray tank. Maybe it's on an angle or maybe there's not enough angle on the drain tube.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    I get the same. Bug rush then the never ending trickle. When it trickles I shut the valve and move on. Not especially patient.
    The gray tanks on our 310 do the same thing. I think it's because they are very wide/flat/shallow tanks (as most are, now). As long as there's several inches of liquid in them, there's enough pressure to drain decently; when it gets down to the dregs, the trickle goes on... I do as @FlyStar does - close the valves and move on.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littleapple View Post
    Just purchased a new Imagine TT and seem to have a problem with the gray tank draining correctly (this trailer only has one gray tank). This is my fourth trailer and my experience draining gray tanks has always been that they drain pretty fast and with enough force to flush out the sewer hose after draining the black tank first. However, this new gray tank drains at about half the volume (when the tank is clear full) that I have experienced with my past trailers (all of the drain plumbing is the same size as on my other trailers). So, I don't get enough flush force/volume to adequately flush out the sewer hose after draining the black tank, and it takes a long time to drain (haven't actually timed it yet) which creates a problem at the dump station when others are in line behind me. The gate valve lever seems to be working correctly. I have an endoscope that I can use with my cell phone, but I can't get it to go past two 90-degree bends to get up to the valve. So, while I will be taking the trailer back to the dealer in a couple of weeks for several warranty items and will mention this issue, I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem with your gray tank(s).
    One thought worth trying is to go up on the roof, if you are comfortable with that, & use a garden hose to flush out the roof vent. Be sure to leave the grey tank valve open. If the vent pipe fills up it was never connected or is clogged with who knows what. I had this problem with a black tank in a former fifth wheel & I suspected I had filled the tank too far before flushing & the vent was clogged.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast