User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    It's not rocket science, they give you a range because they don't have to be an exact torque setting. It's one of those things where close is good enuff. They have to tell you how tight to set them, but the exact number, as long as it's not too loose, is pretty much "close enough for government work". The lug nuts just have to be tight enough so they don't let the wheels wobble, and the nuts don't loosen up.
    I'm 70 years young and have been changing my own tires, swapping on snow tires for the winter, etc. all life. I've never had a lug nut loosen. Granted most of those changes were with old fashioned steel rims that act like a lock washer, but also many aluminum rims.
    I also never used a torque wrench until I started RVing and reading all the warnings about checking every so many miles, etc.
    So I started checking the nuts with a torque wrench and found I was right in the ballpark without one. Now I use a battery impact wrench and torque sticks because my concience seems to be telling me to.
    So far on our grand adventure from Florida to Colorado to Connecticut (and back to Fl end of Sept) I've pulled about 7500 miles and they are still tight.
    Call me crazy
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I understand, for what it's worth. The lug nuts loosening is if you have completely aluminum wheels. The Lion head wheels on my trailer and other aluminum wheels I've looked at have a steel insert in each one of the lug holes that is supposed to prevent the nut from loosening. I have never found a loose lug nut on my trailer so I only check them at the beginning of the season or 50 miles or so after the wheels have been removed/reinstalled for maintenance.
    2021 Reflection 340RDS
    2022 Ram 3500 Big Horn/CCSB//4X4/SRW/HEMI/4:10
    2019 Imagine 2250RK~Sold

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    40 years twisting wrenches for a living and I know that only a loose nut/bolt comes loose. A torque wrench for tightening a lug bolt/nut is recommended, if you have no idea what you are doing. For those that do, you know what good enough is. Those that do it for a living, can probably torque hardware as accurate as a torque wrench. That is using an impact gun. I have my gun and know it well. I do not use others and I never have understood why you would want a gun that produces 500ft/lbs. I would never use that much force and would only cause problems if I did.

If a torque wrench is that important, why do they not include it with the spare? For the average person, you need to tighten it up as much as you can. Normally the wrench they provide is so short, it would be almost impossible to over torque it.

The proper torque on any hardware is no joke but all too often, it is way over rated. People that are snapping off bolt heads probably should not have a wrench in their hand. Same goes for people having wheels fall off. Not everyone should be doing their own work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12