User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RVtravel.com: Know Your RV: Go lug nuts

here is a great article about lugnuts and most importantly, how they should be torqued. I know there are many differing opinions about torquing lugnuts, but the article explains why the nut should be moving before the torque wrench clicks. The article also explains what happens to the studs and why torquing the lugnuts is important.

https://www.rvtravel.com/know-your-r...nuts-rvt-1067/
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, many people are unaware the nut/bolt needs to be moving when checking/setting torque to get an accurate reading. They put the wrench on the nut/bolt, try to turn it, the wrench clicks, so they think they're good.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question. So. just putting the wrench on and clicking is not accurate. And results in over torque. Is their a reduced torque setting for the wrench to be able to just “check” the torque this way without having to loosen and retighten everything time? Say maybe back off 10% or something?
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Yes, many people are unaware the nut/bolt needs to be moving when checking/setting torque to get an accurate reading. They put the wrench on the nut/bolt, try to turn it, the wrench clicks, so they think they're good.
    I see recommendations of checking the torque on lug nuts, 20, 50, 100 miles down the road. If the nut needs to be moving when the torque wrench clicks how do you recommend to check torque after initial installation of the wheel?

Edit: to be clear I was not saying check the nuts three times. I was saying check the nuts once after use so the above should read 20 miles or 50 miles or 100 miles.
    Last edited by Always Learning; 08-28-2022 at 09:43 AM.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That I couldn't say, never heard of such a thing. But the thing is when you use a torque wrench on a tight stationary nut/bolt, what you get when it clicks is friction torque, not rotating torque. And it won't result in an overtorque amount since the friction torque will be more than the rotating torque. OTOH, if you try to tighten the nut/bolt past the friction torque, you could end up over tightening the nut/bolt. Quite the conundrum.
    Howard and Peggy

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the only way to accurately set the torque, is to loosen the nut and retighten to proper torque setting. Personally I'd check the nut with the torque wrench set to the suggested setting and if it clicked, then I'd call it good. And you shouldn't use a torque wrench to loosen the nuts, unless the wrench specifically says it is okay to do so. Of course if a person wanted to be anal about it, they could mark the location of the nut, loosen it, retighten it and see how the location matches up with the previous mark.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of which is interesting because further confusing the issue is there is a torque range of 20 ft lbs on my lugs - 130-150 ft lbs. So what's the proper torque? After we first took delivery, I split the difference and torqued to 140. Put the torque wrench on at every site and for the first 2,000 miles of the first trip, one or two lugs would turn before hitting 140. Eventually, I bumped the torque wrench up to 150 and re-torqued all of them checking every two stops over the next 2,000 miles with everyone clicking and no tightening needed. The torque range frustrated me a bit and I've been contemplating keeping the wrench set at 140 to avoid over tightening figuring if it needed it at 140, I'd re-torque from scratch to 150. 2500 miles into this trip and nothing yet.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not rocket science, they give you a range because they don't have to be an exact torque setting. It's one of those things where close is good enuff. They have to tell you how tight to set them, but the exact number, as long as it's not too loose, is pretty much "close enough for government work". The lug nuts just have to be tight enough so they don't let the wheels wobble, and the nuts don't loosen up.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We used plastic lug nut indicators on our commercial trucks. That was in a former life when I worked Don't know if they make them for light or medium vehicles/trailers. I did a quick check on Amazon & didn't find them.
    Is a quick way to check during pre-trip inspections.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    It's not rocket science, they give you a range because they don't have to be an exact torque setting. It's one of those things where close is good enuff. They have to tell you how tight to set them, but the exact number, as long as it's not too loose, is pretty much "close enough for government work". The lug nuts just have to be tight enough so they don't let the wheels wobble, and the nuts don't loosen up.
    I think you are so right on this one. There have been a million posts on this subject, and a lot of over kill it seems. I carry a torque wrench and check lug nuts about every 300 miles. Unless I've just taken the wheels off for service, I never find one loose.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast