User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RAM 6.7 CTD engine brake

How are you folks using the selectable engine braking? Full vs Auto? I am driving through most of southern Colorado and I just use the Full engine brake, which is priceless. But when and how do you use the Auto function?

Better MPG one vs other?

Thanks
    Randy and Kris

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    How are you folks using the selectable engine braking? Full vs Auto? I am driving through most of southern Colorado and I just use the Full engine brake, which is priceless. But when and how do you use the Auto function?

Better MPG one vs other?

Thanks
    I use mine on Auto all of the time. Auto lets me coast if I want to where full doesn't. Auto will let me coast down hills but also engage if the truck starts going down faster then when I let off of the gas. I much prefer auto because I don't want the exhaust brake coming on just because I take my foot off of the gas peddle.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started out using auto. Now I use full. I actually like that it kicks in when I let off the gas.

I think it's 6 of one, half a dozen of another really. Preference only. No difference in mileage.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As near as I can tell, the 2021 Duramax version is only auto mode. Apparently is does a calculation of how fast you slow down with how much brake pedal you use and adjusts the engine brake based on that, and probably other things. My last big 8% grade decent from Buena Vista to Denver, I initially braked to keep my speed at 45 on the curvy road, then to my surprise, I no longer needs to use the brake and ran 45 all the way down. Cruise control was off. Very nice tech.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine varies, with the rolling hills around here, I much prefer auto. Having the engine brake come on while rolling down a hill means you have start up the other side from a slower speed. Longer, steeper hills I'll use the full brake.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the Solitude in tow, I prefer full. I use auto with my lighter trailers and tend to run in auto when driving unlaiden. It really is a matter of driving preference. Any mileage difference would be too small to be impactful, and doesn't stem from application of the brake but how you recover from braking (your acceleration).
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When towing I use full and TH mode. I will sometimes turn off TH as it can get too aggressive at times.
    I also always use full when not towing as it saves the front brakes.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have Ram (2500) 6.7 CTD and I used both Full and Auto modes. If I'm towing on hilly terrain on small roads (not Freeways) I typically use the full mode. I like not having to ride brakes as much and it helps me keep my speed down. On highways I prefer using the Auto mode because, as said above, I don't want the diesel brake to come on when I take my foot off the gas (not brakes).

On my truck (2018 RAM 2500 CTD) if I can toggle between the Full, Auto Diesel brake and off by pressing the Diesel Brake button on the dash board. I press it once for the full exhaust brake and I see an amber light on the dashboard. I press it again or twice for Auto exhaust brake and the dash light turns green. If I press it a third time, it shuts off. I'm not sure if your model is the same. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by BeerBrewer; 08-28-2022 at 02:39 PM.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. Yes the selection is a 1 for Full and 2nd for Auto then a 3rd for off. I will be heading Caņon City to Olathe on 50 Thursday. I’ll give both a shot and see what Auto is like.

In any case it is a great weapon to save those brakes.
    Randy and Kris

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    Thanks all. Yes the selection is a 1 for Full and 2nd for Auto then a 3rd for off. I will be heading Caņon City to Olathe on 50 Thursday. I’ll give both a shot and see what Auto is like.

In any case it is a great weapon to save those brakes.
    When my friend asked me why I downshifted coming up to a stop sign, I told him it saved on brakes. He said "Brakes are cheap, try replacing a clutch or transmission." Not equating the two, by any means, but really, saving brakes is a pretty silly reason. I use mine to mitigate my speed on hills, so, in a way, I'm saving my brakes...so when I need them I'll have them.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast