User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery technologies coming down the road

While doing some reading/research on EVs to appease my wife (I think we have the best car for us at this time, but I promised her I would look into it), I came across this CNET video on battery technologies currently under development. It may be old news to some of you, but I found it pretty interesting. Just because the video focuses on batteries for EVs doesn't mean the same technologies couldn't be useful for us in RV World.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/videos...-battery-tech/

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    While doing some reading/research on EVs to appease my wife (I think we have the best car for us at this time, but I promised her I would look into it), I came across this CNET video on battery technologies currently under development. It may be old news to some of you, but I found it pretty interesting. Just because the video focuses on batteries for EVs doesn't mean the same technologies couldn't be useful for us in RV World.

Rob
    Yes, there are new technologies that are being tested, the energy density of the battery is a big draw (no pun intended), so is the cost of the materials since lithium is expensive, and the stability of the battery.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post

Rob
    For RVs, I think the battery tech to watch is LFP batteries. There are new chemistries that are increasing the energy density of LFPs that are approaching energy densities of today's Lithium Ion batteries. One chemistry that is being used by CATL and possibly Tesla are LMFP (Lithium, Magnesium, Iron, Phosphate).
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like all new technologies, it will take time for them to become reliable. I'll keep what I got.

Since CA put a line in the sand about gas engines, I suspect battery technology will be in overdrive. In 10 years, LifePo4 batteries will be like lead acid batteries today.

We will see.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The industry needs to be completely changed IMO
    Once the world becomes aware of how devastating mining for the current materials are things will have to change.
    Then what is the answer to everything else needed to build an EV? The interiors for example
    I think we are generations away from anything changing
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    The industry needs to be completely changed IMO
    Once the world becomes aware of how devastating mining for the current materials are things will have to change.
    Then what is the answer to everything else needed to build an EV? The interiors for example
    I think we are generations away from anything changing
    You are correct. UC - Berkey physics research lab has some promising research on a high density battery that uses common materials. The biggest issue right now is that it takes "a very long time" to charge it. Some of the preliminary numbers I've seen place the charging rate at 6-12 times the discharge rate. So if it takes 1 hour to discharge the battery, it will take between 6 and 12 hours to charge it. They are working on it, though.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    You are correct. UC - Berkey physics research lab has some promising research on a high density battery that uses common materials. The biggest issue right now is that it takes "a very long time" to charge it. Some of the preliminary numbers I've seen place the charging rate at 6-12 times the discharge rate. So if it takes 1 hour to discharge the battery, it will take between 6 and 12 hours to charge it. They are working on it, though.
    Someone better be working on all the other materials needed to build an EV at the same time
    Fossil fuels are still required to build an EV and once that industry loses all the revenue from gasoline it may become very expensive and scarce
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Someone better be working on all the other materials needed to build an EV at the same time
    Fossil fuels are still required to build an EV and once that industry loses all the revenue from gasoline it may become very expensive and scarce
    Oh yeah, most people talking about how "clean" EVs are, usually don't know what goes into manufacturing them.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Mach E got finally built and will be delivered to the dealer the week of Oct 3rd. It took us a while to decide. Looking forward to it.
    And yes, battery technology will always be changing until something completely different comes along.
    They've come a real long way already.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite new battery tech is the nano diamond battery (https://ndb.technology/). As with many new technologies, it is still being developed. Assuming it is successful, I like this tech because we can use nuclear to power the grid and we would then have a use for the waste generated for our portable needs. I am a huge fan of finding new uses for waste material.

I find it similar to when we started to use gasoline from lamp oil refining.
    Hobienick

2012 F150 SCREW 3.5 EB, 6.5 Bed, Max Tow
    2022 Imagine 2800BH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast