User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

295rl leveling with tires

What have you used to help level out your 150 series fifth wheel when hooked to a 3/4 ton truck. Right now I'm about 7/8" higher in the front from being level and only have 5 3/4" distance from the top of the back rail of the truck to the underside of the trailer.
    Neil & Diane Kemp
    2023 3500 GMC Sierra SLE with Duramax/Allison
    2022 150 Series 295RL, Disk Brake Conversion Kit, Solar Panels added.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont have the 3/4 ton TV, but with my 2013 SCREW F150 with 1.5 inch set lift using Bilstien 5100 adjustable shocks in front and 1" lift Bilstein 5100 rears, Airlift dual path bags set at 15lbs and using a Reese 16k 5er Hitch set upto the top holes, my f150/295RL sits and tows flat on 10 ply Hankook LTs @ 50lbs per tire on TV, and 80lbs on the 295RL Goodyear Endurance.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Dont have the 3/4 ton TV, but with my 2013 SCREW F150 with 1.5 inch set lift using Bilstien 5100 adjustable shocks in front and 1" lift Bilstein 5100 rears, Airlift dual path bags set at 15lbs and using a Reese 16k 5er Hitch set upto the top holes, my f150/295RL sits and tows flat on 10 ply Hankook LTs @ 50lbs per tire on TV, and 80lbs on the 295RL Goodyear Endurance.
    I guess I should have phrased this a little better but with the 2500, i can only assume that the truck sits higher on that than it does on a 1/2 ton truck which you would have more ways of leveling your trailer out than I would. I have the bolt holes on the lowest level on my companion hitch and still a little high on the nose of the trailer. could I use a different size wheel and tire on the 295rl in order to make it more level when traveling hoping to raise the trailer up so i can set the hitch up a little and get a little more clearance between the bed of the truck and the underside of the trailer.
    Neil & Diane Kemp

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NAKemp View Post
    I guess I should have phrased this a little better but with the 2500, i can only assume that the truck sits higher on that than it does on a 1/2 ton truck which you would have more ways of leveling your trailer out than I would. I have the bolt holes on the lowest level on my companion hitch and still a little high on the nose of the trailer. could I use a different size wheel and tire on the 295rl in order to make it more level when traveling hoping to raise the trailer up so i can set the hitch up a little and get a little more clearance between the bed of the truck and the underside of the trailer.
    I see. I have heard of some who have put taller tires/wheels on their trailers, but not the other way around. Your best best would be to contact GD and see if thats possible.

I am about to have Morryde put on a IS suspension on my 295RL They asked about that same question when I was talking with them about my scheduled replacement. From what I have read, they do allow for such adjustments.
    Jim and Annette
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see. I have heard of some who have put taller tires/wheels on their trailers, but not the other way around. Your best best would be to contact GD and see if thats possible.

I am about to have Morryde put on a IS suspension on my 295RL They asked about that same question when I was talking with them about my scheduled replacement. From what I have read, they do allow for such adjustments.
    just talked to a girl with GD and they are not allowed to make suggestions about towing. they said to contact my dealer about it. Lippert didn't give you any input about it? And if you don't mind, what is it going to run to put the IS on your 295.
    Neil & Diane Kemp

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just talked to a girl with GD and they are not allowed to make suggestions about towing. they said to contact my dealer about it. Lippert didn't give you any input about it? And if you don't mind, what is it going to run to put the IS on your 295.
    Yea.... GD or Lippert wont give you any advice or authorization to modify your suspension. I was lucky to get Lippert to approve my 4 point auto leveling kit that I added. As for the IS, was told early this year (minus any possible yearend increase) that it would be around $8k+ for both IS and disk brake conversion.
    Jim and Annette
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't worry about 7/8" - and you certainly don't want any less bedrail clearance than you have (6 - 7" is optimal). With taller tires on the trailer you could run into a clearance issues where the tires could rub the underside of the trailer. You'd have to carefully take all those measurements and use a tire size calculator to see what other sizes of tires would do (remember - it's the difference in radius that you'd gain, not the diameter). Again, I'm not sure I'd worry about 7/8" - but that's just me.

Rob

Edit/PS. The "smallest" IS units from MORryde are 7K... may be too much suspension for a 150 series.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea.... GD or Lippert wont give you any advice or authorization to modify your suspension. I was lucky to get Lippert to approve my 4 point auto leveling kit that I added. As for the IS, was told early this year (minus any possible yearend increase) that it would be around $8k+ for both IS and disk brake conversion.
    the 2022 came with the self leveling which is really nice and already had the disc brake upgrade. towing with the ram 2500 gasser i have my setting on heavy electric over hydraulic with a 5.5 gain but really hard for me to tell whether it is doing the right thing or not. as far as i can tell it is working together. don't feel any diving or pushing from the trailer. did get a laser temperature checker for the next time i get a chance to see how the temps are on it which will be when we take off for our vacation at the end of the week.
    Neil & Diane Kemp

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I wouldn't worry about 7/8" - and you certainly don't want any less bedrail clearance than you have (6 - 7" is optimal). With taller tires on the trailer you could run into a clearance issues where the tires could rub the underside of the trailer. You'd have to carefully take all those measurements and use a tire size calculator to see what other sizes of tires would do (remember - it's the difference in radius that you'd gain, not the diameter). Again, I'm not sure I'd worry about 7/8" - but that's just me.

Rob

Edit/PS. The "smallest" IS units from MORryde are 7K... may be too much suspension for a 150 series.
    being the worry wart that I can be(ocd) I'll do one more check before we take off for the week on friday. and when i talked to the girl at GD a little bit ago, she said that you want to have your trailer not even a little nose up because of the stress that you can put on the rear axel. go figure.
    Neil & Diane Kemp

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the 2022 came with the self leveling which is really nice and already had the disc brake upgrade. towing with the ram 2500 gasser i have my setting on heavy electric over hydraulic with a 5.5 gain but really hard for me to tell whether it is doing the right thing or not. as far as i can tell it is working together. don't feel any diving or pushing from the trailer. did get a laser temperature checker for the next time i get a chance to see how the temps are on it which will be when we take off for our vacation at the end of the week.
    Wow, nice that they are puting the disks and leveling kits on new 295's. We also plan on uping our total spring load to 12k lbs from the 10.2k (overall) factory limited axles. We have added some extra weight like a permanent mounted 16k water softner in the forward storage, 4 point leveling of course, slide toppers, RV Armor roof coating, camping gear, JT stabilizers with angled cross supports, (eventual) 300lb per axle added IS weight, and still want to start bondocking with a full load of fresh water and possible waste.

Right now we run dry and camp with full hookups. But, after all we have and will eventually do, would like the added support. I believe the Morryde IS spring rates can also be adjusted as well, but then you start getting into OEM frame limitations on what the frame can handle, so not sure if going over 12k is worth it.

Note 7k axles are the min. for Morryde, but, they did say they could adjust spring rates.
    Last edited by trailrydr; 08-29-2022 at 08:03 AM.
    Jim and Annette
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast