User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grease or tennis ball ??

Probably a silly newbie question, but which is better to use on the ball to prevent premature damage and the awful noises coming from the ball when making turns? If grease, then what do you recommend and how much?

Do people use both? grease on ball, then cover with a tennis ball?
    Mitch and Alisa Frank
    2020 Imagine XLS 22 MLE
    2020 RAM 2500 Diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of debate on using or not using grease on the ball. I always did for the main reason I did not like the idea of metal to metal contact, although lots of people put hundreds of thousands of miles on them that way. I used any heavy duty axle or bearing grease that was at the auto parts store, nothing special about it. When I took the trailer off, I would just wipe the ball with some paper towels, never used a tennis ball.

If you do use grease, just a dab on the top, and a couple of spots on the upper sides of the ball will do it. Doesn't take much, and unless you clean the coupler, there will still be some in it. After a trip, you will see where the grease is being used, and know where to apply it for the next time.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always used grease, I grew up on the theory that grease is a lot cheaper than down time on your equipment and still feel the same way.

Using a ball cover of some type is a good idea, otherwise you will have black stains on your shins sooner or later no matter how careful you think you are being. Also wipe the coupler off as some of the grease will likely work it’s way out of there as well.

Some people argue that grease will attract dirt and cause damage. Grease does not have a gravitational pull on dirt, that dirt was going to get in there anyway. It is a question of wether you want the dirt in there grinding around by itself or if you would prefer to have some lubrication in there with the dirt.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrffrank440 View Post
    Probably a silly newbie question, but which is better to use on the ball to prevent premature damage and the awful noises coming from the ball when making turns? If grease, then what do you recommend and how much?

Do people use both? grease on ball, then cover with a tennis ball?
    We use Slip Plate dry grease on our king pin, hitch mount plate, and locking jaws on our 5er for the last 4yrs. Just paint it on and let it dry. Works great! Keeps rust off and stays on after multiple uses. Also can be re-applied ontop of old application for touchups. Also stays clean and hasn't attracted any dirt cause its dry.

Suppose you could even put on a tennis ball when storing too!

Note.... saw a fairly new 5er parked next to us and his king pin was rusted, and ours was still black from the Slip Plate grease. OTR truckers use it on their hitches as well.
    Last edited by trailrydr; 08-29-2022 at 07:31 AM.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wipe some grease out of the coupler and rub it between your fingers. You’ll likely feel grit. That’s the problem with grease: It attracts dirt which accelerates wear.

I’ve been pulling trailers without grease for 50 years on a farm and have never worn out a hitch or ball so I just don’t see any advantage.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always grease the ball on my boat trailer. Not greasing would probably cause excessive wear and lots of noise. If you are looking for a quiet hitch I'd suggest looking at ProPride or Hensley hitch. After installing one of these hitches the trailer will no long pivot on the ball. All of the turning is done with the patented linkage system, this is how they eliminate sway. We use a Hensley on our trailer and it is very quiet and has absolutely no sway at all.
    Last edited by BeerBrewer; 08-29-2022 at 04:12 PM.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the "grease it" camp. I've been pulling trailers for over 50 years and never tow/pull one without greasing the ball or whatever type of coupling systems it has. Metal to Metal movement back and forth just doesn't add up to me. One of the two metals is likely softer than the other one and will wear because of friction. YMMV, but that's my opinion.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always have used grease on the ball coupling. Used Husky 34914 10" Fifth Wheel Lube Disc on our 5R.
    Joyful & Drake
    SE Texas
    2022 Grand Design 2600RB
    2022 F150 Platinum 1777# Payload
    ProPride-3 1400 Hitch

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started greasing this season just because of that dreaded noise the Husky makes.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, grease. I cover mine with a rubber cover that looks like a fishing bobber. Light film of grease and occasionally cleaned off with a paper towel and re-applied.

Can't think of many instances where one can argue metal on metal wear is a good thing. This may be true for the sway bars on a weight distributing hitch since it's the friction element that makes the anti-sway feature work. But even on those, it's important to grease at the pivot points at the hitch.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast