User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use of vent hood exterior vent closure

We are wondering how many people actually manually open and close the exterior vent flap for their vent hood when they travel. We've seen others not mention doing this step when they talk about departing and arriving at campsites. We've asked one other couple and they say they don't bother with it and have no issues.

Do others leave this open or do you make sure it is closed every time you travel?

What would be the harm in leaving it open? Water intrusion? Has anyone had a problem with traveling when it was open?

The reason we ask is that on our 2022 Reflection 303RLS the vent hood opening is out of reach without breaking out a step ladder.

Thanks for your response!

Brian & Darla Powell
    Two Rivers, WI

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ours is open most of the time camping and travelling although we seldom ever use it. Boiling pasta or something on occasion I will turn the fan on but when we ended our season this year I closed it shut before going home
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only issue we had was ours (when opened) would catch high winds and flap a little and making noise causing us to close it.

Also, might be a great place for mud daubers to nest if left open when not in use, same like unscreened heater vents.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We keep it close when it's stored to avoid insects from calling it home, close when traveling to prevent it from flapping. Opening and closing it at the campsite is part of our arrival and take off steps. It only take a second to do. But that's just what we do. I have though of just leaving it open but...
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind there are a ton of RV models with exterior range exhaust fan vents that do not have a locking flapper... For instance, if our Solitude did, even I at 6'-5" would need a step ladder.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response, @geotex1. It just so turns out that our Reflection fifth wheel has a locking flapper, only it is about 11 feet above ground level and not easily reachable. Nice to get other viewpoints on how they handle this situation. Due to the reach involved, we are leaning towards leaving it loose until winter storage, at least until we claim it as our winter home. :-)

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bpowell View Post
    Thanks for the response, @geotex1. It just so turns out that our Reflection fifth wheel has a locking flapper, only it is about 11 feet above ground level and not easily reachable. Nice to get other viewpoints on how they handle this situation. Due to the reach involved, we are leaning towards leaving it loose until winter storage, at least until we claim it as our winter home. :-)
    I use an old fashioned manual awning rod. I find them so handy that I bought two. They double for reaching things in the truck bed. About 7.00 apiece
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bpowell View Post
    The concern with the latch styles is their "hinge" is too weak to survive travel over the road and the way air moves along the sides... You can replace yours with the style on the Solitudes, but I would advise a JR Products Endura, which you can latch and unlatch using a dowel, broom handle, etc. I say this because the wind constantly blowing the flap open and closed gets old to listen to for some. I put an Endura on our prior Heritage Glen and it was great compared to the thumb latches! Other side of the spectrum, I was recently in a Newell coach, and the flushed vent actually popped open when the range range was turned on and closed automatically when turned off.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania