User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extended warranty

Just wondering what is a good extended warranty company? We have a 2022 376THS. TIA

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are none. Extended warranties are a money generator for the seller of said warranties. Too many If's, And's, or But's, and boatloads of fine print explaining why you will never get your money's worth.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife found a very good description of extended service plans a while back (they are not warranties, but rather insurance policies with lots of fine print). They are another form of legalized gambling. The company is betting that nothing breaks that would cause them to pay out more than you paid for the policy; you're betting it will. As in all forms of legalized gambling, the house usually wins. Otherwise, these companies wouldn't be in business or make a profit.

Dave Ramsey and Clark Howard have commented on these plans many times, too. The standard seems to be that 80% of extended service plan revenue goes toward commissions and marketing. Only 20% goes toward paying for actual repairs, which means most people are getting a really bad deal. We prefer to set money aside regularly (earning interest) and pay for repairs as they come up.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe you'll find on this forum the majority are going to recommend steering clear of those warranties. Would be cool if there was a polling tool available on the forum for things like that.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    I believe you'll find on this forum the majority are going to recommend steering clear of those warranties. Would be cool if there was a polling tool available on the forum for things like that.
    Oh, but there is. When starting a new thread, scroll down below the big text box and there's an option to create a poll. I would suggest the General Discussion subforum for this topic.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Oh, but there is. When starting a new thread, scroll down below the big text box and there's an option to create a poll. I would suggest the General Discussion subforum for this topic.

Rob
    Huh. Who knew? Guess you did. Thanks Rob!
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought one once. Never again. Actually used it, but coverage fine print didn’t cover the entire cost to fix a broken BAL Slide cable. When we sold that trailer and thought we’d get a refund for the “ unused” contact period. Surprise! They deducted the amount they’d paid toward the repair leaving a zero balance for us. We in effect paid the entire bill to fix the slide. Virtually all dealer add ons are rip offs IMO.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Sspoon, let me give you an example. The original owner of our current rig purchased a transferrable extended warranty from the selling dealer for $4,000. He was told the warranty covered "everything" and if you read the warranty on it's face value, it does "appear" to cover everything with some noted exclusions. However, when you dig a little deeper the the fine print excludes anything structural. So, basically what he bought was an "appliance" warranty". If both air conditioners, the refrigerator, furnace and water heater all die, then maybe you would be ahead. Otherwise, you are better off setting some money aside and pay for what you need as you need it. Best wishes, Frank.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also hate extended warranties. However, I did buy one for my Momentum after talking the cost way down. I estimate that I've had approximately $6,000 worth of repairs done since I purchased my trailer. I've gotten my moneys worth with this one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad777 View Post
    I also hate extended warranties. However, I did buy one for my Momentum after talking the cost way down. I estimate that I've had approximately $6,000 worth of repairs done since I purchased my trailer. I've gotten my moneys worth with this one.
    Which one did you end up choosing?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast