User Tag List

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wiring from Solar Charge Controllers

So I'm coming up to the phase of my project where wiring will be going into 2 solar charge controllers. This is going to be a nice opporturity for me to also clean up my battery wiring. Currently I have multiple wires going into the end battery of my parallel 600AH battery bank. I'll be cleaning this up by adding a nice thick bus bar.

I'm thinking this is a really dumb question, and it's probably because I'm tired. I was planning to put my solar charge controllers, batteries, shunt, power out to inverter, power out to 12 Volt supply for 5th wheel 12 volt system, with battery charger on the same bus bar. My question is can I put the charging wires from the solar charge controllers on the same bus bar as the house 12 volt system (which also has my shore powered 12 volt charger)?
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    So I'm coming up to the phase of my project where wiring will be going into 2 solar charge controllers. This is going to be a nice opporturity for me to also clean up my battery wiring. Currently I have multiple wires going into the end battery of my parallel 600AH battery bank. I'll be cleaning this up by adding a nice thick bus bar.

I'm thinking this is a really dumb question, and it's probably because I'm tired. I was planning to put my solar charge controllers, batteries, shunt, power out to inverter, power out to 12 Volt supply for 5th wheel 12 volt system, with battery charger on the same bus bar. My question is can I put the charging wires from the solar charge controllers on the same bus bar as the house 12 volt system (which also has my shore powered 12 volt charger)?
    It is an excellent idea to clean up your wiring whenever you are making changes.

I am not sure what type of buss bar you are planning on using, but it sounds like you are going to have several "power intense" items connected to a single Buss Bar.

Based on your post, these items will all be attached to the same Buss Bar:

1 -- 200ah battery #1

(I am assuming you are using 200ah batteries)
    (if you are using 100ah batteries double the number
    of batteries connected to the Buss Bar).

2 -- 200ah battery #2

3 -- 200ah battery #3

4 -- Solar Charge Controller #1

5 -- Solar Charge Controller #2

6 -- 12v DC power for the coach

7 -- Power for the Inverter

8 -- 12v DC Charger (powered by shore power)

9 -- Shunt ( I presume this is for the Negative side )

When you say "Nice thick Buss Bar" do you mean a flat copper bar about 10 inches long where you have drilled holes for bolts that hold all your terminals? Or do you mean the 4 stud buss bars that you can buy, like in the picture below?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81yMvCyIUXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	42769

On the negative side, I would recommend using two of the pictured buss bars to attach everything to: I would run all three battery cables to the first Buss Bar. Then I would connect the second buss bar to the batteries through the shunt (this ensures all loads pass through the shunt). I would then attach all my remaining cables to the second buss bar.

On the positive side, I would recommend a similar setup using two Buss Bars. I would attach my three batteries to the first Buss Bar. Then I would connect the second Buss Bar through an appropriately sized fuse. I would then attach all the remaining cables to the second Buss Bar.

This configuration balances the power draw from each battery because all the batteries will be feeding the draw evenly and will also being charged evenly.

For more discussion on using Buss Bars you can read the post:

"Why You Should Use Buss Bars..." :

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...184#post442184
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 08-29-2022 at 11:15 PM.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    I'm thinking this is a really dumb question
    There are no dumb questions. Without this question, we wouldn't have the excellent answer provided by @SolarPoweredRV.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are dumb questions, you just get called out when you say that was a dumb question.

I'm all for buss bars to clean up a wiring maze. Power and ground. Nothing wrong with spending a few dollars more for cables larger than the specs.