User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lift Support/Strut for storage below mattress

Replaced mattress in my 2021 22MLE with a queen Nectar which weighs fifty-four (54) pounds. Considerably heavier than the POS mattress GD provided. Will a ninety (90) to one hundred (100) pound rated strut suffice or do I need to increase? Thanks for any help.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call the folks at liftsupportdepot.com and give them the current strut manufacturer and model number and they can advise you on exactly what you need.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    Call the folks at liftsupportdepot.com and give them the current strut manufacturer and model number and they can advise you on exactly what you need.
    you know, I did that very thing yesterday. Based on the response I got, the representative did not have a clue. He actually asked for pictures of what I was doing. Thanks for your response, I appreciate you.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lift Support/Strut for storage below mattress

I added a very heavy thick topper to our OEM mattress and my supports still hold perfectly

I would try it and see first
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I added a very heavy thick topper to our OEM mattress and my supports still hold perfectly

I would try it and see first
    I thought of that. However, just getting the mattress inside the RV and on the platform is a real struggle. I'm sure you know this. I would like for it to be "one and done". Thinking about picking up a couple that's rated for 90 lbs. Thanks for your response.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced the struts on the bed with ones from liftsupportdepot. On their website I was able to decipher the numbers on the stock struts and ordered heavier ones (60# vs 40#). I remounted them at a slight angle so there is some initial lift on the mattress when opening the storage lid.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we replaced our mattress I relocated the gas strut mounting positions, both upper and lower, back 2". When I say back I mean toward the foot of the bed. This changes the geometry somewhat and does not allow the bed to be raised as high but with the additional thickness of the mattress touching the ceiling I didn't loose much travel. The bed now stays up with the original gas struts.i don't know if this will work in your application but it's a free mod before purchasing new struts.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    I replaced the struts on the bed with ones from liftsupportdepot. On their website I was able to decipher the numbers on the stock struts and ordered heavier ones (60# vs 40#). I remounted them at a slight angle so there is some initial lift on the mattress when opening the storage lid.
    So, the 60# strut was sufficient. Do you have a big queen size mattress?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dooley View Post
    So, the 60# strut was sufficient. Do you have a big queen size mattress?
    12" full queen. Since the headboard slopes in I lost some walk-around room at the foot of the bed so I cut a new, longer piece of wood for the lid. We had a helluva time getting the new mattress in!

Our 2650 doesn't have the side cubbies so the new mattress doesn't block anything.
    Last edited by jmbopp; 08-30-2022 at 07:28 AM.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    12" full queen. Since the headboard slopes in I lost some walk-around room at the foot of the bed so I cut a new, longer piece of wood for the lid. We had a helluva time getting the new mattress in!

Our 2650 doesn't have the side cubbies so the new mattress doesn't block anything.
    I'm sure it was a struggle. I have not done that yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast