User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MapleWifi, Canadian Cell base internet

Being frustrated with campground WIFI or lack there of in Canada. We decided to try out MapleWifi.
    For Canadians, wireless internet plans are really expensive and our options are very limited.

We were undecided between StarLink ($170/mth RV) (satellite signal) and MapleWifi ($160/mth) (Cell signal).
    We don't game or work fulltime from the RV (although sometimes I will help out work during my vacations). We do like to stream music and movies (we do download a lot before leaving on a trip) and stay connected for emails, weather, news, forum, web searched (things to do)....

So far, its work out OK. The most that we've downloaded on a trip is roughly 50gig. It will switch (what they claim) between the 3 suppliers, Bell, Rogers and Telus. From what I've seen so far, it seems to prefer Rogers. Its good for all of Canada and now includes unlimited roaming in the USA. No contracts, no data limit, no throttling and speed range up to 100Mbps (their claim) and connect up to 5 devices.
    My cell is on Bell and DW is on Telus. At some of the parks that we've been to this summer, our cell would not get internet but this little device did (real slow though).
    The no contract for us was really important as we only want it for when we travel. My cell is covered by my work but I'm only limited to 2gig download.
    Another great thing about it is that we have it with us in the truck while on the road so we aren't using our cell data. Speed has been decent, the fastest that I've seen so far was 50 but we haven't been right beside a tower to be able to test the max speed.
    So far its working out great and there was some parks that we were at that Starlink would not have worked because of the tree cover. You do need a cell signal for Maplewifi to work.

The only bad thing that I have to report so far is their customer service. It has to be the absolute worst that I've ever seen. There's no number that you can call, just email. When it came time to stop it for a month, it took like 6 emails and over 3 weeks. I ended up being charged for that month but after a few more emails they reimbursed me. Same issue when it came time to activate it for my up coming trip. Just a pain. Its to bad that you cant do it yourself online.
    Next week, were are heading down to the US to visit Vermont, New Hampshire and Main. We'll see how the USA roaming goes.

Its not cheap but at least its not a shared 5Mpps campground WIFI. Be warned though that dealing with them might raise your blood pressure. LOL

I'll post my experience with it in the US when I return at the end of September.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck, hope you enjoy your trip through northern New England.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S