User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hughes Autoformer experience

This question is related to - but not the same as - a question I posed recently.

How many of you have and use a Hughes Autoformer? We have at least one campground we visit routinely (only option near two of our grandkids) where the voltage, during the hot season, constantly drops below 104 volts and the EMS takes us off-line. I really wished we had one this last time! Have you found the Autoformer to be reliable and perform well?

Thanks!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    This question is related to - but not the same as - a question I posed recently.

How many of you have and use a Hughes Autoformer? We have at least one campground we visit routinely (only option near two of our grandkids) where the voltage, during the hot season, constantly drops below 104 volts and the EMS takes us off-line. I really wished we had one this last time! Have you found the Autoformer to be reliable and perform well?

Thanks!

Rob
    I've not used one in this coach, however in a different application it worked very well. I have a friend who lives in a stix-n-brix house out in the sticks and constantly had power brownouts. After looking into several expensive options, we adapted a Hughes to run his freezer, refrigerator, swamp cooler, and in the winter his pellet stove for heat. The only problem he had was if the compressors kicked on at the same time and the swamper was running on high or the pellet stove was feeding pellets. It was very rare that both compressors kicked in at the same time.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, we have a couple of those campgrounds as well and a favorite where if you want the fantastic lake front sites you are furthest from the power coming in and the voltage drop is practically all season. Anyway, autoformer has been a flawless solution for us and those sites. Truth be told, however, is that it mostly lives in basement storage with much cleaner power more common than we experienced in our past. I do recommend keeping the unit out of sight though as we are friends with folks that had their's stolen while chained to the pedestal. I leave ours in the underbelly by running my 50A extension to it, and then our camper cord out if it after wrestling the cable through the mouse hole. The need has been so few and far between that I haven't done a "built-in" solution like I had on our Heritage Glen.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. I carry that heavy thing all over to use 1 or 2 times a year. If I were you, I think I would hard wire it inside your couch and use it every time I was plugged in.

YMMV

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’ve had ours since our 2018 377. I the last rig we only pulled it out when needed. But keeping it out of the weather and secure was a little bit of a pain.

On our new unit we “hard” wired in the front basement. It’s been flawless so far. It’s not technically hard wired, I added the plugs/outlets to use our original portable autoformer(and portable watchdog ems). That way if something fails it can be bypassed
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, everyone. Your responses and a few over on the Escapees forum have helped us make a decision. I found a "Used - Like New" (meaning damaged packaging) 50 amp unit on Amazon for $498 and ordered it. I know where I will store it when moving but, before we roll again, I'll figure out where to put it when in use and work out a way to connect it in that location.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hughes Autoformer experience

Check this out. I don’t know if it’s new or anything but a lot of people like to add that to the air conditioning.

https://camperreport.com/product-rev...ftstartup/?amp

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreenblade View Post
    Check this out. I don’t know if it’s new or anything but a lot of people like to add that to the air conditioning.

https://camperreport.com/product-rev...ftstartup/?amp
    We have MICRO-AIR EasyStarts on the list for both ACs. I would not be a fan of anything "whole house" for that purpose, nor would I want it at the pedestal. We already have a Progressive Dynamics EMS hard-wired to provide everything on the protection end. Thanks, though.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob,
    I think you are going to really like your Autoformer.

I've had one semi-permanently installed in my rig since around 2014. By semi-permanently I mean that the first thing my shore power input cord goes to is a 50 amp receptacle in my basement bay; then the Autoformer is plugged into that, then the EMS is plugged into the Autoformer; and then power gets into my rig. Being that my shore power comes into the RV and to a 50 amp receptacle it means I can always unplug the Autoformer if I want to and I can replug the EMS into the basement 50 amp receptacle -hence the "semi-installation".

Most times power just passes through the Autoformer; you can tell by the lights on the unit. It comes in handy in about 1 out of 20 campgrounds. But when ya need - ya need it.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    Yes. I carry that heavy thing all over to use 1 or 2 times a year. If I were you, I think I would hard wire it inside your couch and use it every time I was plugged in.

YMMV

Red
    This is what we did, mounted inside passthrough. Seems to be doing its job and haven't had any issues. Ran into a few parks that were in that 103-104 voltage in Canada and autoformer did its job.
    Former 2022 Solitude 310GKR w/8K axles & disc brakes, factory solar
    Formerly 2019 Reflection 230RL, 2019 Reflection 320MKS, and 2015 Outback Terrain 230TRS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast