Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Question Rockwell vs Dexter 6k trailer axles

OK folks I am looking at replacing the 4400 lb Dexter axles on my trailer for 6000lb units. I bent at lease one on my Alaska trip. This wold be a complete replacement (axles, brakes, springs and probably shackles and wet bolt of both axles. The suspension points do not need to change as everything should bolt up as dimensions are the same. The upside is bigger brakes too. My current hangers all look good, but will have them inspected.

Now I know Dexter bought out Rockwell, but the Rockwell brand is still being stocked at Dexter distributors. I have two local sources of Rockwell axles and one also sells Dexter, but Dexter is at a higher price. Rockwell is USA made and I am hearing that Dexter is outsourcing some stuff, but don't know what.

So is there anyone with first hand knowledge here on the difference, if any, between the two brands - particularly the 6K units? I have a lot of information on the Dexter 6K including bearing sizes, etc, but cant find the same for Rockwell, but maybe I am not looking in the right spot.

Thanks for any help

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    OK folks I am looking at replacing the 4400 lb Dexter axles on my trailer for 6000lb units. I bent at lease one on my Alaska trip. This wold be a complete replacement (axles, brakes, springs and probably shackles and wet bolt of both axles. The suspension points do not need to change as everything should bolt up as dimensions are the same. The upside is bigger brakes too. My current hangers all look good, but will have them inspected.

Now I know Dexter bought out Rockwell, but the Rockwell brand is still being stocked at Dexter distributors. I have two local sources of Rockwell axles and one also sells Dexter, but Dexter is at a higher price. Rockwell is USA made and I am hearing that Dexter is outsourcing some stuff, but don't know what.

So is there anyone with first hand knowledge here on the difference, if any, between the two brands - particularly the 6K units? I have a lot of information on the Dexter 6K including bearing sizes, etc, but cant find the same for Rockwell, but maybe I am not looking in the right spot.

Thanks for any help

Keith
    I have never heard of Rockwell.

IMO, upsizing the axles will fix you up The industry generally puts the lightest ones they can get away with on.
    IOW, the size is nore important than the brand, and since Dexter is likely eaiser to get parts for.. That would be my choice
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rockwell American is no longer USA made. In fact, all that's basically left is the name, otherwise all bits interchangeable with Dexter. Dexter has also discontinued the brand name (along with Redneck Trailer Supplies). In my world, this is SKU rationalization. So, if you buy Rockwell Americans branded as such, they would be NOS or manufacturer closeout, and likely why a bit cheaper.

Incidentally, the legendary Rockwell Axle is an animal far removed from puny trailer axles!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Rockwell American is no longer USA made. In fact, all that's basically left is the name, otherwise all bits interchangeable with Dexter. Dexter has also discontinued the brand name (along with Redneck Trailer Supplies). In my world, this is SKU rationalization. So, if you buy Rockwell Americans branded as such, they would be NOS or manufacturer closeout, and likely why a bit cheaper.

Incidentally, the legendary Rockwell Axle is an animal far removed from puny trailer axles!
    Rob
    Thanks for your input. The dealer has OLD stock made in the USA. I don't know if this makes a difference or not. He can also get current Dexter stock.

My plan is next week to visit and go through my options. He has good reviews and is locally recommended.

Ill update when I know more.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Rob
    Thanks for your input. The dealer has OLD stock made in the USA. I don't know if this makes a difference or not. He can also get current Dexter stock.

My plan is next week to visit and go through my options. He has good reviews and is locally recommended.

Ill update when I know more.
    If my memory serves, Dexter bought RA 2017ish. I'd imagine that New Old Stock is all to Dexter specs and everything interchangeable. Dexter did away with the RA oddities quickly. Once upon a time after the buy, Dexter springs were being made in RA's spring plant - true US made. Don't know when that stopped or was reduced, but the last several Dexter springs I bought wore the brand but also Made in China... Could be because one is hard pressed to find US made steel...
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I bought my Imagine used it had two bent axles already. I knew this going in and the unit was priced accordingly. I contacted a local trailer dealer (not RV) and the lady I spoke with recommended replacing the Dexter 4400# axles with 6000# axles. They quoted me a price of around $1,000 for both complete axles, drum to drum as well as new 4400# springs (this was in 2020). In hindsight I should have jumped all over it. I have since spent nearly that much fixing the axles I have under it now having them realigned and I just recently had to replace all the brakes also…

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My axles are slightly bent after I got an alignment. Going to Alaska I would recommend shocks which is a major improvement and helps save your axles.
    2007 GMC 2WD Seirra 2500HD Classic 6.6 Duramax, Alison Transmision
    2017 Reflection 303RLS, Comfort Ride Slipper spring system with shocks
    Previous: 2011 Ford F150
    2018 Jayco 27RL Travel Trailer

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you upgrade the axles, I would caution against "over-springing" the installation. Springs that are too heavy will make the suspension overly stiff and put more stress on everything from the attachment points to the chassis and coach (cabinetry, etc.). Heavier axles and springs rated for the true weight of your coach - but higher quality steel than the OEM springs - would be my choice.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015