User Tag List

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    "Need" is a strong word. But why would I want this vehicle compared to the F450 I have today:

2) My 450 gets around 15-20MPG running around empty. A lot of my "around town" stuff at home (Lowes, garden center, grocery store, etc) would be covered by the battery range and keep me from using any fuel at all.
    Admittedly I have not read all the posts in this thread, so maybe this has been covered. Electricity for re-charging is obviously not free. Based on your 15-20 mpg around town, how much less would the cost for the electricity be vs. that for diesel fuel?

I'm fascinated with the possibilities of EV's but I don't think I've actually seen a cost comparison of a "specific distance" of travel comparing a high mileage ICE vs. an EV.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Admittedly I have not read all the posts in this thread, so maybe this has been covered. Electricity for re-charging is obviously not free. Based on your 15-20 mpg around town, how much less would the cost for the electricity be vs. that for diesel fuel?

I'm fascinated with the possibilities of EV's but I don't think I've actually seen a cost comparison of a "specific distance" of travel comparing a high mileage ICE vs. an EV.
    I pay around .11C/KW. If we figure 2 miles per KW, it would be around $1.10 to drive 20 miles on electric. At 1 mile/KW (which is probably more reasonable for something as big as a 450), around 2.20/20 miles. So, current prices, about 1/2 as much as diesel fuel. Going back two years, when I bought 1000 gallons at 1.10/gallon, it would be twice as expensive to use electric! But I don't think we'll ever see those prices again.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    I pay around .11C/KW. If we figure 2 miles per KW, it would be around $1.10 to drive 20 miles on electric. At 1 mile/KW (which is probably more reasonable for something as big as a 450), around 2.20/20 miles. So, current prices, about 1/2 as much as diesel fuel. Going back two years, when I bought 1000 gallons at 1.10/gallon, it would be twice as expensive to use electric! But I don't think we'll ever see those prices again.
    Sounds like you've got real world experience, and that's interesting data. I agree we probably may never see oil prices as low as they were in 2020, but the market will fluctuate, and if it gets back in the $60-70/barrel range it may be close to a break even gasoline vs. electric.

Then there is the question as to electricity cost going up. As more power is consumed by charging EV's, will power companies raise prices significantly?

So, for those buying EV's with the purpose of economics, there could be a lot of uncertainty out there. For those buying for ecology/pollution reasons, price is probably not an issue.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One could only guess how efficient a Super Duty EV would be.

Here are real world numbers from my personal experience.

I currently pay 12.8C/kWh. My compact Nissan Leaf EV on the road does 3.8miles/kWh. That’s 3.68 cents per mile. In town it does 4.5 miles/kWH which is about 2.8 cents per mile. These numbers are at current electric rates. Last year rates we’re as low as 10 cents per kWH.

At 20 mpg and $4.50/gal my F350 diesel costs about 23 cents per mile. When you add the cost of def and oil changes the truck costs at least 25 cent/mile.

So a typical 100 mile trip will cost about $3.68 in the EV and $25.00 in the truck, empty and not towing at 20 mpg

Sure it’s not apples to apples but this is what I save by not using the truck as a daily driver.
    Last edited by Jerryr; 09-12-2022 at 11:23 AM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    What’s that got to do with EV’s? The electric grid always is the first casualty in a hurricane which makes charging an EV pretty much impossible.
    Well if the grid's down, you ain't pumping gas (unless you have it in cans).
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about the hidden costs of electric cars. States are already talking about taxing the use of electric cars so they can get road repair revenue. A big portion of the price of gas is tax. How hard will these electric car owners get hit,
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    What about the hidden costs of electric cars. States are already talking about taxing the use of electric cars so they can get road repair revenue. A big portion of the price of gas is tax. How hard will these electric car owners get hit,
    Ohio already has this, at least to a degree. The registration is higher for hybrids and even higher for electric compared to traditionally vehicles.
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Some states have started to add taxes on EVs, so far, most have been comparable to what you would have paid in Fuel Taxes, $100 - $200.

As long as the taxes are comparable, I don't mind contributing to road taxes, just like Fossil Fuel vehicles do.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bob View Post
    Well if the grid's down, you ain't pumping gas (unless you have it in cans).
    People often forget this.
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Sounds like you've got real world experience, and that's interesting data. I agree we probably may never see oil prices as low as they were in 2020, but the market will fluctuate, and if it gets back in the $60-70/barrel range it may be close to a break even gasoline vs. electric.

Then there is the question as to electricity cost going up. As more power is consumed by charging EV's, will power companies raise prices significantly?

So, for those buying EV's with the purpose of economics, there could be a lot of uncertainty out there. For those buying for ecology/pollution reasons, price is probably not an issue.
    Fossil Fuel vehicles are around 25% efficient (most of their energy gets wasted as heat), EVs are around 90% efficient.

Fossil Fuel Vehicles will never get to 90% efficiency and all the electricity pricing in the most of the US is regulated in some form, so, the prices do not swing the way prices for Gas and Diesel do.

Additionally, many utilities offer off-peak pricing so you can charge for ~ half the price of on-peak rates.

Then with EVs, you have the option of installing Solar panels and paying even less for your electricity.
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast