User Tag List

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    And we are being told this is "green", and if you question it you are ridiculed. Thanks for posting this.
    2022 Momentum 21G
    300ah LiFePo4, 525 watt solar
    2015 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lorend View Post
    HI Jerryr, we might be talking two different batteries. The $250 version that you are referring to is probably the regular starter battery that you have in a gas vehicle. I am talking the main battery pack that the car runs on when in electric mode. I just brought up a quick search and the first site I came to says the battery replacement is between $9863 and $9932. That is the price that makes it a disposable car.
    I wasn’t clear. I wasn’t referring to the 12 v battery but labor to install a High Voltage hybrid battery. Dealer labor cost runs about $250 to install a hybrid battery, not $250 for the parts. eBay has several Sonata Hybrid take off batteries from wrecks reasonably priced. They seem to start at $600-$900 plus shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ttery&_sacat=0
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    I wasn’t clear. I wasn’t referring to the 12 v battery but labor to install a High Voltage hybrid battery. Dealer labor cost runs about $250 to install a hybrid battery, not $250 for the parts. eBay has several Sonata Hybrid take off batteries from wrecks reasonably priced. They seem to start at $600-$900 plus shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ttery&_sacat=0
    Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking the dealership didn't do anything for that cheap anymore. They almost want that for an oil change. lol. I am doing some more research into it and will pass the info along to my daughter. Kind of interesting that a dealer wants over $9k for a battery and yet other places are quoting under $2k.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an environmental engineer and geocientist I’ll offer my perspective. EVs won’t “save the world” because they’re resource intensive in production and still encourage congestion and urban sprawl. But they are relatively less impactful overall on our environment than ICE vehicles. The lack of tailpipe emissions is a huge advantage (on average), and it’s hard for ICE to make up for that.

That being said I will be either buying myself a Lightning, or a gas/diesel 3/4-ton. I don’t live somewhere where public transportation is an option.

Looking at each from an environmental perspective:

F-150 Lightning: Energy efficiency, lower lifecycle emissions assuming 15 year service life.

Gas: Lower embedded emissions from production. Gasoline in Canada increasing in ethanol content.

Diesel: Longer powertrain life (a moot point if the truck rusts first) for potentially lower life-cycle emissions than gas.
    2022 Reflection 150 278BH
    2023 Silverado 2500HD Gas
    “If you like how it tows, don’t change anything.”

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you see the youtube test on one pulling a 6K trailer. It got a shade over 110 miles on a full charge. I am sure they are a great grocery getter.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lorend View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking the dealership didn't do anything for that cheap anymore. They almost want that for an oil change. lol. I am doing some more research into it and will pass the info along to my daughter. Kind of interesting that a dealer wants over $9k for a battery and yet other places are quoting under $2k.
    I have a vested interest. My daughter has an older Kia Optima Hybrid that she recently rurnedvober to my 18 year old grandson. I believe the Optima uses the same battery.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Leased gasoline…Would that be 100LL?
    It is. I'm watching the 100UL development very closely. It seems the FAA moves a bit slower than the green movement.
    Hobienick

2012 F150 SCREW 3.5 EB, 6.5 Bed, Max Tow
    2022 Imagine 2800BH

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Exactly

With devastating environmental consequences but they are “saving the world”
    Quote Originally Posted by Toy Haulen View Post
    And we are being told this is "green", and if you question it you are ridiculed. Thanks for posting this.
    When it comes to the two largest sources of Lithium, Spodumene and Lithium Brine evaporation, there are new processes that are more efficient at extracting the Lithium from the ore/brine. Both processes currently recover less than 30% of the Lithium available in the raw medium. The new processes for both mediums raise the Lithium recovery rate to around 90%. This means fewer mines and fewer evaporation ponds (eventually, evaporation ponds will become obsolete).

Additionally, new sources of Lithium are being discovered which can eliminate the deep sub-surface mines that are currently producing Spodumene Lithium. Specifically; water from Geo Thermal energy plants can be processed and stripped of Lithium (and other minerals) before it is returned underground. There is also the possibility to process water from the Salton Sea (a dead Sea in Southern California) to extract Lithium from the water. Whats more, there is a new process to get Lithium from the top soils in the Nevada Desert which is more energy efficient and environmentally friendly than current processes.

As far as Cobalt goes, all battery manufacturers are working toward eliminating Cobalt from their batteries. Many manufacturers are switching to Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePo4) batteries which completely eliminates Cobalt from the battery chemistry. As a matter of fact, Tesla recently announced that World Wide, they are using 50% Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries. Additionally, all the Stationary Storage batteries that are going to be installed to help switch our electrical grid to Renewables can be manufactured with Cobalt Free Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries instead of the Lithium Ion batteries that have Cobalt as part of their chemistry.

There are also battery recycling companies that will be recycling and reprocessing used batteries for their minerals which can be used for building new batteries. Eventually, battery recycling could replace mining for new raw materials just like Lead Acid battery recycling has replaced the need for raw Lead in today's Lead Acid batteries (over 90% of all LA batteries are currently being recycled).

If you are interested in more information on the two new processes, I have linked a couple of videos below:

New Spodumene process...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoVpbjByTIE

New Lithium Extraction process...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL_hBxK569E
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    When it comes to the two largest sources of Lithium, Spodumene and Lithium Brine evaporation, there are new processes that are more efficient at extracting the Lithium from the ore/brine. Both processes currently recover less than 30% of the Lithium available in the raw medium. The new processes for both mediums raise the Lithium recovery rate to around 90%. This means fewer mines and fewer evaporation ponds (eventually, evaporation ponds will become obsolete).

Additionally, new sources of Lithium are being discovered which can eliminate the deep sub-surface mines that are currently producing Spodumene Lithium. Specifically; water from Geo Thermal energy plants can be processed and stripped of Lithium (and other minerals) before it is returned underground. There is also the possibility to process water from the Salton Sea (a dead Sea in Southern California) to extract Lithium from the water. Whats more, there is a new process to get Lithium from the top soils in the Nevada Desert which is more energy efficient and environmentally friendly than current processes.

As far as Cobalt goes, all battery manufacturers are working toward eliminating Cobalt from their batteries. Many manufacturers are switching to Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePo4) batteries which completely eliminates Cobalt from the battery chemistry. As a matter of fact, Tesla recently announced that World Wide, they are using 50% Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries. Additionally, all the Stationary Storage batteries that are going to be installed to help switch our electrical grid to Renewables can be manufactured with Cobalt Free Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries instead of the Lithium Ion batteries that have Cobalt as part of their chemistry.

There are also battery recycling companies that will be recycling and reprocessing used batteries for their minerals which can be used for building new batteries. Eventually, battery recycling could replace mining for new raw materials just like Lead Acid battery recycling has replaced the need for raw Lead in today's Lead Acid batteries (over 90% of all LA batteries are currently being recycled).

If you are interested in more information on the two new processes, I have linked a couple of videos below:

New Spodumene process...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoVpbjByTIE

New Lithium Extraction process...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL_hBxK569E
    How about the two rare metals in the motors?
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    How about the two rare metals in the motors?
    Which two specifically?
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast