User Tag List

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electric F-150 Lightning -- Our Weekend Test Drive

My wife and I were privileged to get the Electric, Ford F-150 Lightning, for a weekend Test Drive.

The first thing you are going to want to do when you get behind the wheel of the Lightning is to punch the accelerator (wait for a straight stretch of road before you do this).

Let me tell you, the acceleration is amazing !!! Whether you are starting from a dead stop or from 30 or 50 mph, the Lightning has enough power to slam your head back into the headrest and put a smile on your face !!!

We test drove the "Pro" version of the Lightning. This is the stripped down, commercial, version that Ford is offering for fleet customers. For a commercial truck, this truck had some very premium features that are offered as standard equipment. Including: Blis (Blind Spot Information System), Dual control climate settings, Heated Seats, Automated Emergency Braking System, Automatic Headlights that will point in the direction of a curve in the road (very bright headlights) and several more premium features you would not expect in a Pro/Commercial version of a pickup truck.

One of the most distinctive features of the Lightning is the "Frunk" (Front Trunk). The hood is opened and closed automatically (from the key FOB) and has four 120v electric outlets inside. This is perfect for keeping your E-bike batteries charged up while you are traveling. The Frunk is also very large and has 400 lbs. of cargo capacity. Speaking of electric outlets, there are also four 120v outlets in the bed of the Lightning along with a 240v (generator style) outlet should you need it.

As expected the Pro version has vinyl flooring and plain vinyl covered seats, the Lariat and Platinum versions have heated and cooled leather seats.

The F-150 Lightning really drove well, it has 4 wheel independent suspension and it was very smooth at highway speeds. It also took bumps and crossed railroad tracks much more smoothly than our F-350. Did I mention that the Lightning has full-time 4 wheel drive?

Range: the F-150 Lightning has a "standard range" battery pack and a "long range" battery pack. Only the standard range battery pack is available in the pro version, you can choose either the standard or long range battery pack in the XLT, Lariat, or Platinum versions. The standard range battery pack is EPA rated at 230 miles and the long range battery pack is rated at 320 miles. Towing: the towing tests that I have seen indicate that your range will be reduced by 40 to 50% depending on how aerodynamic your trailer is. This range would work well for most "weekenders" and for Full-timers that ascribe to the 3 hours travel per day rule. However, if you are prone to driving cross country a couple of times each year, the range will not work for you. On the other hand, a cross country trip is not completely out of the question if you can afford a more leisurely pace.

DC Fast Charging: The Lightning is capable of using the DC Fast charging network and it is designed to charge very fast (compared to some other EVs). Typically, you would only charge to about 80% at a DC Fast Charger while you are traveling because the charge rate drops very low for the last 20% of charging (it is simply harder to push the electrons into the battery between 80% and 100%). I would estimate that you could charge the Standard Range battery from 10% to 80% in about 30 minutes and the Long Range battery from 10% to 80% in about 45 minutes. For a more detailed discussion of the Lightning's charging rate watch the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zr30PMOcno

Buying the truck: I am currently negotiating to purchase the truck at MSRP, plus the dealer fees. This is the best deal I think I can achieve in this market. Can I do it? Only time will tell.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't mind, what is the cost of
    a home charging port for fast charging?
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a runaround town truck, they are a slam dunk. For a "tow your RV 4500 miles" truck, they have a LONG way to go. What you didn't mention is trying to find a place to charge with the trailer attached. I've yet to see an EV charging station set up for a long rig.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're planning on towing with it, you may want to watch Fast Lane Truck's you tube video where they towed a 6000lb trailer. They were only able to go 90 miles before needing to recharge (which took about an hour).

Other than that, for a get around town vehicle, it looks fun!
    Last edited by netshadoe; 09-02-2022 at 10:15 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, we're mandated to buy electric cars here staring in 2035. Then the next days they're asking us to cut back on charging our vehicles. Hard pass for me.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were considering getting an EV of some sort last spring, but we had a severe weather event (May 21 Derecho) that brought the city to it's knees for 10 days...power was out in 80% of the city due to severe damage. My neighbor, who has an EV, couldn't find anywhere to charge their EV and had to go rent a gas car to get around to be able to get around - especially fuel for the generators where we had to go 60 miles outside of the region to find (no electricity at most stations, and those who were open were out of gas/diesel)...kind of ironic if you ask me.

Then there are the charging stations. My neighbor says it's about a 30-60 minute wait to get a charge station on average when he travels, and then an hour to charge to 80%. After the storm we had, only a few stations were operational, and the wait time was measured in half days or more. And unless your generator is pure sine wave, some EV's won't charge with run of the mill generators.

If I go with some kind of electric, it will definitely be a hybrid of some sort. Can't rely on natural disasters not touching the power grid.
    Last edited by netshadoe; 09-02-2022 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Getting rid of the Canadian spelling :)
    2021 Ram 1500 Sport, 5.7 HEMI, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2023 23LDE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great write up!!!
    This is clearly the future.
    Sure there will be exceptions but we will get through it.
    My mother used to tell stories about how her dad recollected the transitioning from horses to cars.
    The nea sayers were out in full force in the 1890s too!

We need to remember we are humans, in America and we can figure this out.

Have a great labor day weekend!!
    2021 Imagine 2670MK
    2021 F250, 7.3 with a 10 speed transmission
    Armor All on the tires, color coordinated floor mats.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpb9294 View Post
    Great write up!!!
    This is clearly the future.
    Sure there will be exceptions but we will get through it.
    My mother used to tell stories about how her dad recollected the transitioning from horses to cars.
    The nea sayers were out in full force in the 1890s too!

We need to remember we are humans, in America and we can figure this out.

Have a great labor day weekend!!
    Unfortunately I don’t think the future is going to be affordable
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    If you don't mind, what is the cost of
    a home charging port for fast charging?
    Bob A.
    I just received mine (48 Amp) today for the Mach E and paid $1,100 CAD. The one for the Lightning is a 80amp and its listed at $1,700 CAD.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    My wife and I were privileged to get the Electric, Ford F-150 Lightning, for a weekend Test Drive.

The first thing you are going to want to do when you get behind the wheel of the Lightning is to punch the accelerator (wait for a straight stretch of road before you do this).

Let me tell you, the acceleration is amazing !!! Whether you are starting from a dead stop or from 30 or 50 mph, the Lightning has enough power to slam your head back into the headrest and put a smile on your face !!!

We test drove the "Pro" version of the Lightning. This is the stripped down, commercial, version that Ford is offering for fleet customers. For a commercial truck, this truck had some very premium features that are offered as standard equipment. Including: Blis (Blind Spot Information System), Dual control climate settings, Heated Seats, Automated Emergency Braking System, Automatic Headlights that will point in the direction of a curve in the road (very bright headlights) and several more premium features you would not expect in a Pro/Commercial version of a pickup truck.

One of the most distinctive features of the Lightning is the "Frunk" (Front Trunk). The hood is opened and closed automatically (from the key FOB) and has four 120v electric outlets inside. This is perfect for keeping your E-bike batteries charged up while you are traveling. The Frunk is also very large and has 400 lbs. of cargo capacity. Speaking of electric outlets, there are also four 120v outlets in the bed of the Lightning along with a 240v (generator style) outlet should you need it.

As expected the Pro version has vinyl flooring and plain vinyl covered seats, the Lariat and Platinum versions have heated and cooled leather seats.

The F-150 Lightning really drove well, it has 4 wheel independent suspension and it was very smooth at highway speeds. It also took bumps and crossed railroad tracks much more smoothly than our F-350. Did I mention that the Lightning has full-time 4 wheel drive?

Range: the F-150 Lightning has a "standard range" battery pack and a "long range" battery pack. Only the standard range battery pack is available in the pro version, you can choose either the standard or long range battery pack in the XLT, Lariat, or Platinum versions. The standard range battery pack is EPA rated at 230 miles and the long range battery pack is rated at 320 miles. Towing: the towing tests that I have seen indicate that your range will be reduced by 40 to 50% depending on how aerodynamic your trailer is. This range would work well for most "weekenders" and for Full-timers that ascribe to the 3 hours travel per day rule. However, if you are prone to driving cross country a couple of times each year, the range will not work for you. On the other hand, a cross country trip is not completely out of the question if you can afford a more leisurely pace.

DC Fast Charging: The Lightning is capable of using the DC Fast charging network and it is designed to charge very fast (compared to some other EVs). Typically, you would only charge to about 80% at a DC Fast Charger while you are traveling because the charge rate drops very low for the last 20% of charging (it is simply harder to push the electrons into the battery between 80% and 100%). I would estimate that you could charge the Standard Range battery from 10% to 80% in about 30 minutes and the Long Range battery from 10% to 80% in about 45 minutes. For a more detailed discussion of the Lightning's charging rate watch the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zr30PMOcno

Buying the truck: I am currently negotiating to purchase the truck at MSRP, plus the dealer fees. This is the best deal I think I can achieve in this market. Can I do it? Only time will tell.
    Great write up. I started seeing them around and they sure are nice looking. Our Mach E is arriving early Oct and we cant wait. IMO I don't think there's enough range yet for RVing unless of course you stay close by like you said.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast