User Tag List

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    Just got this alert. What's a few thousand more electric cars on the grid?

Attachment 42928
    This is where an EV with V2G capability would help in these situations. Nissan is using V2G and V2H capable Leaf’s in other countries at this time. https://youtu.be/w9kUSS-n6c0

The car EV battery can feed the grid to offset emergency days. Or even power your house for several days.

Australia and the UK are leading this effort. I can see some day we will be using this technology here in the US.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    This is where an EV with V2G capability would help in these situations. Nissan is using V2G and V2H capable Leaf’s in other countries at this time. https://youtu.be/w9kUSS-n6c0

The car EV battery can feed the grid to offset emergency days. Or even power your house for several days.

Australia and the UK are leading this effort. I can see some day we will be using this technology here in the US.

So an EV owner with such a car would be expected to take a life cycle off of his battery, the most expensive part on the car so that someone down the street can charge their car?

Sounds like a great deal. Where do I sign up
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post

So an EV owner with such a car would be expected to take a life cycle off of his battery, the most expensive part on the car so that someone down the street can charge their car?

Sounds like a great deal. Where do I sign up
    That seems as good a plan as draining some of the fuel out of your truck to give away to a random person in the neighborhood.

I wouldn't mind that technology if it was during a power outage, with my main breaker open and providing power back to my own home only.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electric F-150 Lightning -- Our Weekend Test Drive

My biggest issue is that EVs are not fixing or helping anything and will only become an inconvenience being forced on us
    Maybe in 100 years they may be necessary and that leaves a ton of time to work it all out
    What needs to be worked on is increasing fuel economy in todays power trains which I believe is very possible
    Unfortunately the oil lobbyists are the most powerful
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have a sincere question that I can't quite wrap my head around yet. If lithium batteries don't do well with heat and don't charge below 32F, and don't do well below 0F, how is this managed in northern climates? I know they have cooling systems and I suspect heating systems, but does that mean if your car is parked outside in sub-zero temps it has to be plugged in to keep the battery heated?

I'm not sure about how high the temps must get before it could cause battery degradation, but suspect heat levels in the south would not be high enough to cause issues for vehicles parked on pavement in the sun all day? I assume the heat levels that would be an issue are in the hundreds Fahrenheit?
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    That seems as good a plan as draining some of the fuel out of your truck to give away to a random person in the neighborhood.

I wouldn't mind that technology if it was during a power outage, with my main breaker open and providing power back to my own home only.
    That’s V2H technology. (Vehicle to Home). Yes that’s one of the bi-bidirectional charger technologies.

There are 3 Technologies
    V2G = Vehicle to Grid
    V2H = Vehicle to Home
    X2X = Vehicle to Everything
    Last edited by Jerryr; 09-07-2022 at 08:17 AM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    I do have a sincere question that I can't quite wrap my head around yet. If lithium batteries don't do well with heat and don't charge below 32F, and don't do well below 0F, how is this managed in northern climates? I know they have cooling systems and I suspect heating systems, but does that mean if your car is parked outside in sub-zero temps it has to be plugged in to keep the battery heated?

I'm not sure about how high the temps must get before it could cause battery degradation, but suspect heat levels in the south would not be high enough to cause issues for vehicles parked on pavement in the sun all day? I assume the heat levels that would be an issue are in the hundreds Fahrenheit?
    The easy answer is that the car's cooling/heating system keeps the battery pack within a safe temperature range.

More specifically; when the vehicle is charging, heat is being generated by the internal resistance of each battery cell, consequently, the cooling system is operating to pull that excess heat out of the battery pack. Interesting side note: I just read that several Teslas were recently spotted in Saudi Arabia for testing in 122F + heat.

In cold weather; the heating system is operating while the car is plugged in. Additionally, while the vehicle is actually charging the cells are generating heat so, the cooling system might also be operating in cold weather. After the car is charged, and it is still plugged in, the heating system would operate intermittently to keep the battery pack above freezing.

While the car is in operation, the battery pack probably creates enough internal heat to not require supplemental heat from the heating system in cold weather.

One thing to remember is that batteries can be discharged when they are cold, just not charged unless they are above freezing.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    One thing to remember is that batteries can be discharged when they are cold, just not charged unless they are above freezing.
    Well this rules all of Canada out and most of the northern states

How are they doing it in Norway?
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post

Except it is worse with the battery. Everytime you use a life cycle, the battery's capacity gets a tiny bit smaller. In your gas example, the tank would not shrink at all.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Well this rules all of Canada out and most of the northern states

How are they doing it in Norway?
    The heating system in the vehicle automatically warms the battery if the internal temperatures are too low.

These cars have been tested in very cold and very hot temperatures.

There are tens of thousands of EVs operating in Canada, Norway, and Northern States throughout the winter months.

Battery Electric Vehicles are not brand new, the Nisssan Leaf was sold world wide in 2011 and Tesla has been selling the Model S since 2012.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast