User Tag List

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    But you are retired. There are 10s of millions of people that need to drive hundreds of miles every day
    Charging at home won’t be an option
    The average daily commute is less than 40 miles in both the US and Canada. Most EVs have 250 - 350 miles of range. This means the average commuter would have to plug on only once per week to cover all their weekly miles. For those who may live in an apartment that means they might need to plan to go shopping or visit a coffee shop with a charger once per week. However, more and more employers are installing EV charging stations at the workplace so driving an EV is getting easier all the time (and Employer charging may even be offered as a free perk).
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    I pay around .11C/KW. If we figure 2 miles per KW, it would be around $1.10 to drive 20 miles on electric. At 1 mile/KW (which is probably more reasonable for something as big as a 450), around 2.20/20 miles. So, current prices, about 1/2 as much as diesel fuel. Going back two years, when I bought 1000 gallons at 1.10/gallon, it would be twice as expensive to use electric! But I don't think we'll ever see those prices again.
    So pay 30k more just to save a few bucks of diesel?
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    The average daily commute is less than 40 miles in both the US and Canada. Most EVs have 250 - 350 miles of range. This means the average commuter would have to plug on only once per week to cover all their weekly miles. For those who may live in an apartment that means they might need to plan to go shopping or visit a coffee shop with a charger once per week. However, more and more employers are installing EV charging stations at the workplace so driving an EV is getting easier all the time (and Employer charging may even be offered as a free perk).
    The average doesn’t matter. There still will be tens of millions that need to drive way more than the capacity of an EV
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So pay 30k more just to save a few bucks of diesel?
    Not so much the savings in diesel fuel. It's the power and capability that an EV could bring to the table. 1000HP+, regen braking, onboard high power system to power my RV or my house. It's the power and flexibility that I'd like the most. Sure, it would be nice not to have to fuel up for months at a time (when we're not RVing), but that's secondary.

Remember, a lot of people are paying 100K+ for a Tesla to save, MAYBE, 10K in fuel over the lifespan of the vehicle. It's not only the cost savings, it's the power, convenience, the other things the truck would do well..

I'd be shocked is 10% of new Tesla buyers actually save enough in gas to make the purchase worth it vs a comparable luxury car. Maybe by the time the 2nd owner gets it, enough depreciation has hit to make it pencil out.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    I'd be shocked is 10% of new Tesla buyers actually save enough in gas to make the purchase worth it vs a comparable luxury car. Maybe by the time the 2nd owner gets it, enough depreciation has hit to make it pencil out.
    Until a needed battery replacement
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Until a needed battery replacement
    X2 The depreciation better be BIG!
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The average doesn’t matter. There still will be tens of millions that need to drive way more than the capacity of an EV
    I have a neighbor that has a 100 mile commute, that's over four hours a day on the road. An EV can easily make that commute and if he charges at home, he can do that commute every day of the week.

I don't think there are tens of millions that need to travel more than 100 miles to work each day. There may be some, but not tens of millions.

If you are thinking about traveling sales (persons), then yes, they may need to travel beyond the EV's initial range of 300 miles from time to time, that is why there are DC Fast Charging Stations sprinkled about the country (both USA and Canada). One lunch stop coupled with a DC Fast Charging session and you are good to go (some clients might even have charging on site).

I think if you are driving beyond a full charge, plus an 80% lunchtime charge, then you aren't getting much work done that day. Long trips are possible in an EV and they will become easier and easier as more DC Fast Charging Stations are installed everywhere.
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electric F-150 Lightning -- Our Weekend Test Drive

I have a neighbor that has a 100 mile commute, that's over four hours a day on the road. An EV can easily make that commute and if he charges at home, he can do that commute every day of the week.

I don't think there are tens of millions that need to travel more than 100 miles to work each day. There may be some, but not tens of millions.

If you are thinking about traveling sales (persons), then yes, they may need to travel beyond the EV's initial range of 300 miles from time to time, that is why there are DC Fast Charging Stations sprinkled about the country (both USA and Canada). One lunch stop coupled with a DC Fast Charging session and you are good to go (some clients might even have charging on site).

I think if you are driving beyond a full charge, plus an 80% lunchtime charge, then you aren't getting much work done that day. Long trips are possible in an EV and they will become easier and easier as more DC Fast Charging Stations are installed everywhere.
    North America there are 400 million people I am sure 10 million is conservative and we are being forced to accept EVs into our lives. Many cars are only good for 300 ish miles. There are many people in our area that have to travel to bigger centres like Moncton,Halifax etc. These are trips that will require daily peak charging
    California sells over 2 million cars a year now
    Last edited by NB Canada; 09-12-2022 at 06:57 PM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fossil Fuel vehicles are around 25% efficient (most of their energy gets wasted as heat), EVs are around 90% efficient.

Fossil Fuel Vehicles will never get to 90% efficiency and all the electricity pricing in the most of the US is regulated in some form, so, the prices do not swing the way prices for Gas and Diesel do.

Additionally, many utilities offer off-peak pricing so you can charge for ~ half the price of on-peak rates.

Then with EVs, you have the option of installing Solar panels and paying even less for your electricity.

But the diesel engines in our trucks are 55 to 60% efficient.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    North America there are 400 million people I am sure 10 million is conservative and we are being forced to accept EVs into our lives. Many cars are only good for 300 ish miles. There are many people in our area that have to travel to bigger centres like Moncton,Halifax etc. These are trips that will require daily peak charging
    California sells over 2 million cars a year now
    Yes, you will have trips that exceed the initial range of the EV, however, that is what stopping at a DC Fast Charger is designed for. And yes again, the price will not be the low off-peak rates you will get at home.

Currently, the US Electrify America rate is $0.31 cents per kwh (with a $4.00 monthly membership) and $0.43 cents per kwh without the membership. A charging session from 10% to 80% on a 77kw battery pack (~ size of a Tesla Model 3 battery pack with 330 miles range) will cost between $17 and $23.

Electrify America is expanding in Canada and should have rates that are comparable in CAD.

Remember, you only need the DC Fast Chargers on long trips, not every day (statistically, over 90% of EV charging is done at home).
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast