User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you have your b&w companion hitch set up for your short bed

2018 Ram 2500 6.4 short bed. Changed our the slider to the non slider that goes with the turnover ball for the 295rl . 80 lbs of weight. I have the pin set on position one of the instructions with the 3" set back. When I took the truck and trailer to the scale it was 20 lbs lighter on the front with the trailer hitched. Should I change the pin to the second position with the 1" set back. Hopefully someone with more experience with these than I do can chime in. Thanks in advance? PS, I tried searching all over the place for a good answer but had no luck.
    Neil & Diane Kemp
    2023 3500 GMC Sierra SLE with Duramax/Allison
    2022 150 Series 295RL, Disk Brake Conversion Kit, Solar Panels added.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NAKemp View Post
    2018 Ram 2500 6.4 short bed. Changed our the slider to the non slider that goes with the turnover ball for the 295rl . 80 lbs of weight. I have the pin set on position one of the instructions with the 3" set back. When I took the truck and trailer to the scale it was 20 lbs lighter on the front with the trailer hitched. Should I change the pin to the second position with the 1" set back. Hopefully someone with more experience with these than I do can chime in. Thanks in advance? PS, I tried searching all over the place for a good answer but had no luck.
    We have a GMC 2500HD SB so not sure if this is any help for a Ram 2500. We use post position 1. Then the highest vertical position = 7" behind post. This gives us 6.5" bed clearance. We get to about 80 degrees backing up before we start to get close to the cab. We do have Tembriens and MorRyde pin box added. Both great upgrades. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2544.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	42841

Dutchman2
    Jim & Patricia
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    2024 GMC 3500HD CC-SRW-SB Duramax

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the picture looking at the front of the bed or the tailgate. From what I read the orange sticker is supposed to be facing the rear.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the Companion hitches have the orange sticker on both sides.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RVK3500 Installation Instructions.pdf 
Views:	8 
Size:	502.7 KB 
ID:	42842 item number 3 under install companion base. Not sure if I uploaded the instructions correct or not
    Neil & Diane Kemp

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't see the forest through the trees sometimes but I see which way it is facing. Sorry about that Dutchman 2
    Neil & Diane Kemp

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NAKemp,
    Orange sticker faces the cab in my case. This setup places the pin location 1" behind the center of the axel. Also installed a garage hoist to easily remove and install the hitch. Just built a roll around dolly to place it on when I need the hitch removed. My back thinks it's the best $100 ever spent on amazon.

Dutchman2
    Jim & Patricia
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    2024 GMC 3500HD CC-SRW-SB Duramax

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman2 View Post
    NAKemp,
    Orange sticker faces the cab in my case. This setup places the pin location 1" behind the center of the axel. Also installed a garage hoist to easily remove and install the hitch. Just built a roll around dolly to place it on when I need the hitch removed. My back thinks it's the best $100 ever spent on amazon.

Dutchman2
    The slider that I had on before was closer to the one inch but this one looks further with the pin in the #1 place with the arm at the 3" behind the pin place per the instructions. Thats why I'm hoping I can find someone with the same set up. The ram bee is 6'4" I believe and isn'tthe chevy short bed longer?
    Neil & Diane Kemp

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also have no real intentiona to use the truck for anything but hauling which is why I have a roll up cover on it. That slider was a bear to remove. At least the companion non slider isn't as bad. Lol
    Neil & Diane Kemp

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NAKemp View Post
    When I had mine 7" back I had 180 lbs come off the front axle. I had enough turning clearance so moved to 5" setting to put some slight back. Truck handle fine after over 6000 km of towing. You will be fine with only 20 lbs off the front.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada