Thread: Generator ??

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generator ??

Greetings
    I am looking for advice regarding our potential purchase of an inverter/generator. We are pretty sure we want to purchase a Champion 2500 Duel Fuel model. Generally speaking, would this unit provide us with enough power to our 2500RL? I know it is not going to power our A/C. But I am looking to make sure we have enough power to our battery's to: maintain our refrigerator which has two modes: Shore Power & gas/Keep the lights on/Power water pump/and most importantly power my wifes hair dryer. We are looking to dry camp for 3 or 4 days. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will find many generator discussions with the search. That said, I would urge you to reconsider and really think about buying a unit that could power your camper completely, including A/C. A maintained generator will outlast a camper, and are more versatile than just camping. Sure, you can buy two of the smaller suitcases and parallel if it's the size and weight of concern, but one of my Champion 3800s is only a bit over 100#. Was very nice when our sticks and bricks lost power for 2 weeks after tornado damage to the substation. Was quite comfortable inside when 98 degF outside!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with GeoTex1. Depends on if you want to go heavy or light and how much you want to spend. In either case, some form of soft start on the AC(s) is super beneficial even for those times you just need to plug into a 15 or 20 amp circuit at a friends house or something. My Honda 2000i can handle it, but just barely. No room for anything else like water heater, fridge, microwave, etc. But it's real convenient to have a quiet and small generator for those times I need it. But when the time comes that we're ready to invest in a new one, I would buy either a companion for the Honda to double up, or go with one 3,500.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Agree with GeoTex1. Depends on if you want to go heavy or light and how much you want to spend. In either case, some form of soft start on the AC(s) is super beneficial even for those times you just need to plug into a 15 or 20 amp circuit at a friends house or something. My Honda 2000i can handle it, but just barely. No room for anything else like water heater, fridge, microwave, etc. But it's real convenient to have a quiet and small generator for those times I need it. But when the time comes that we're ready to invest in a new one, I would buy either a companion for the Honda to double up, or go with one 3,500.
    One thing to keep in mind on the weight. Things get heavier as you get older. Those Honda EU 2000s that I used to think were light as a feather are now at the age of 61 doable but not nearly so light anymore. It is much easier to lift 50# twice than 100# once. A quality generator will last long enough to still be around when you start to age.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a very good point. I'm only 5 years behind you so it probably would make more sense to get another Honda to pair with it. Then when I don't need as much power I can just use one. Thanks!
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)