Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stabilizers

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stabilizers

New owner of 28ft Imagine. It uses legacy stabilizers and rig seems extra sensitive when someone is "moving" around - more than our prior 24ft JayFlight. I've ensured stabilizers are tight. Any suggestions or thoughts? Has anyone ever added EXTRA stabilizers?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes it helps to put a 4x4 piece of wood under it. The shorter the travel distance of the stabilizers, the more sturdy they will be.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anytime the tires are carrying a significant amount of weight, there will be movement. The amount of movement can depend on the trailer, and one's tolerance to that movement. Some people are very sensitive to any movement, and some people don't notice anything less than a level 8 seismic event. Some people add more jacks at the corners, or invest in something like the JT Strongarms. And while you don't want to lift your trailer with the stabilizers, you can crank them down a fair amount. As was mentioned, shortening the extended length of the stabilizers helps too.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Anytime the tires are carrying a significant amount of weight, there will be movement. The amount of movement can depend on the trailer, and one's tolerance to that movement. Some people are very sensitive to any movement, and some people don't notice anything less than a level 8 seismic event. Some people add more jacks at the corners, or invest in something like the JT Strongarms. And while you don't want to lift your trailer with the stabilizers, you can crank them down a fair amount. As was mentioned, shortening the extended length of the stabilizers helps too.
    ***Hoopy Frood: thanks for mentioning JT StrongArms product, a bit pricey but may solve dilemma for ultra sensitive partner. I'll try the stabilizer shorten "length" idea first. (never heard of this fix). We're fairly new RV'ers starting our 5th season and still making mistakes and LEARNING !!! ***
    2018 Chevy Silverado 1500. Tow package (axel 2.42) 5.3L
    2023 Grand Design "Imagine" Model 2670 MK

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As mentioned above, I found that if the stabilizers extend past 50% they lose their effectiveness so I created blocks out of 2x6. I also use left over leveling blocks. Some members use x-chokes but I've read great reviews on the Strong Arm and similar. VALTERRA also has a system with ratchet straps. Caution on the x-chokes if you plan on using them, it has been mentioned that you can bend the axles if over tighten.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second the Valterra stabilizer, while it looks really cheesy, it does work pretty well. We use one to help keep movement down when we are out on the rear ramp/door/patio.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As noted above, keep the stabilizer as close to fully retracted as possible. Sounds ridiculous, but the more you extend the stabilizer, the less it stabilizes. Best approach is to raise the ground using blocks. There are lots of options but it comes down to two choices, wood or plastic. Plastic can be expensive, but has the advantages of being lighter than wood, easier to clean and does not attract insects. Wood is inexpensive, and if you don’t mind the weight, a great option.
    The more you extend the stabilizers, the more the trailer will “roll” while in place. Although slight, the hitch to bumper movement can become more noticeable the more the stabilizers are extended. Keeping the tongue jack extension short helps as well.
    Years ago I was made aware of wedge chocking the wheels to reduce roll. Slightly back into chocks enough to just apply pressure, then put another set of chocks in front of the wheel. Wife has the process down pat and sets the chocks so I never leave the cab. There are wheel X chocks available that do the same thing.
    Also, check the stabilizers daily, the foot pads i use do settle depending on the camp site.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a pair of the Valterra ratchet stabilizers at right angles. Works pretty good. Maybe eliminates 75% of the giggle.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    As mentioned above, I found that if the stabilizers extend past 50% they lose their effectiveness so I created blocks out of 2x6. I also use left over leveling blocks. Some members use x-chokes but I've read great reviews on the Strong Arm and similar. VALTERRA also has a system with ratchet straps. Caution on the x-chokes if you plan on using them, it has been mentioned that you can bend the axles if over tighten.
    ***Oh yeah. Thanks SO much mentioning VALTERRA style as well as Strong Arm style stabilizers. After reading Valterra reviews and video, believe I'll procure 2 sets. The Strong Arm style appear superior but too pricey for my budget. TKS! *****
    2018 Chevy Silverado 1500. Tow package (axel 2.42) 5.3L
    2023 Grand Design "Imagine" Model 2670 MK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put Morryde X Brace on our trailer, they work really well are always there (nothing to store or setup) and take less than 20 seconds to tighten each corner. They are pricey and require 2 sets/one for the front and one for the rear. Also no drilling or altering your jacks just swap out a few bolts. Two seasons in and they are holding up well, no rust and still works smooth.
    2021 Reflection 340RDS
    2022 Ram 3500 Big Horn/CCSB//4X4/SRW/HEMI/4:10
    2019 Imagine 2250RK~Sold

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast