User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why the mess?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the workers were making Bentley cars and getting Bentley wages, they'd probably be clean.
    Considering most are getting just a bit over min wage, there is not much pride in work, more like get YOUR job done and move the next rig.
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The worst thing a worker can do on a assembly line is shut it down. Management wants it moving no matter what. Doesn't matter what they are making. For every monute down means a loss of a lot of money. It's not just workers that our in a hurry.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is ridiculous for sure. Pay over $70K for a brand new rig....and find that it's full of debris from one end to the other. It's all about money. The three seconds it would take a worker to pull the trigger on an air hose and blow the debris off would then cost another worker 10 minutes to sweep up the mess on the production floor then it would take another worker 30 minutes each day to empty the trash cans full of debris into a container outside then it would take another dollar or hundred to have the debris hauled off to a landfill. Why spend all that extra time and money when they can just leave it inside your camper and you pay to haul their trash off for them!?!?!?!?!?!

That's how workers are trained these days. Just like that.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsdad60 View Post
    If the workers were making Bentley cars and getting Bentley wages, they'd probably be clean.
    Considering most are getting just a bit over min wage, there is not much pride in work, more like get YOUR job done and move the next rig.
    I agree. I doubt you find many RV assembly line workers that choose that line of work as a "career". For the most part I would think they are low paid un-skilled workers following orders from management. Correct me if I am wrong.

Once again, we see Grand Design is really not much different than most RV manufacturers, but I'm sure we can find worse.

Everytime I've opened up an area of my trailer to do some work, I've vacuumed up the sawdust and leftover parts and it's not that big of a deal. I think it's just the whole concept of "let's get that trailer out the door using the cheapest parts, labor, and building quality we can" that bothers me. The benefit of the Best Customer Service in the industry only goes so far.

Folks mention that in the automotive industry issues are also prevalent. Probably so, but I've recently owned a couple of Japanese vehicles that were as close to perfect as you can get, and much more fairly priced than RV's are today.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
    It is ridiculous for sure. Pay over $70K for a brand new rig....and find that it's full of debris from one end to the other. It's all about money. The three seconds it would take a worker to pull the trigger on an air hose and blow the debris off would then cost another worker 10 minutes to sweep up the mess on the production floor then it would take another worker 30 minutes each day to empty the trash cans full of debris into a container outside then it would take another dollar or hundred to have the debris hauled off to a landfill. Why spend all that extra time and money when they can just leave it inside your camper and you pay to haul their trash off for them!?!?!?!?!?!

That's how workers are trained these days. Just like that.
    Our trailer from 12 years ago was the same as the ones built today as far as the trash left behind. It has nothing to do with how their trained these days. It's how they have always been trained.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh My! Our we bought our new-to-us 2016 Solitude 379FL in early 2017 with little or no use on it.

The first thing we did was to add a roof vent in the front living ceiling to let the heat out that accumulates there because it is the highest part of the unit. You cannot believe all of the debris found up there in the rafters...!

The next thing I did was to add a 3-gallon pressure tank (think well pump ) to the water system, It took an hour before I could clean it up enough to find a place to bolt it down. Those little aluminum drill slugs were everywhere.

I had to remove the front living stereo speaker enclosures because they came wired wrong (no excuse for that either...everything is color-coded)) Another 20 minutes of vacuuming...

Then I realized that the rear bedroom entertainment system had the outside speakers wired to the wrong output. Removing that unit revealed a large, very rough-hewn, oval hole at the back of the cavity with handfuls of wood chips and cut-off wires...

I have done a lot of electrical contracting work over the years. If I left messes like I found in our Solitude I know of several customers who would have refused to pay me. Seriously, to whom do we complain???
    Last edited by fez111; 09-10-2022 at 09:06 PM.
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It`s the "Can`t see it from my house" attitude, been around from the beginning of blue collar jobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oskur d View Post
    I believe "pride in workmanship" and "RV construction" are two phrases that are almost never used in the same sentence.
    Except in the brochure. Nothing is like the brochure.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote from another ........I have done a lot of electrical contracting work over the years. If I left messes like I found in our Solitude I know of several customers who would have refused to pay me. Seriously, to whom do we complain???

Going to the Hershey show this coming week I`ll voice your comment to the rep at GD. It will be like going out to your garage and talking to your garage door, guaranteed, I`ll report back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12