User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

General Solar Capability Question

I have looked into installing solar systems on my property over the years but my results always concluded that the technology was not at the maturity level and the cost point that made it worth the investment. Now I have a small travel trailer that came with a entry level system that can help keep the battery charged and the fridge running while I travel but that's about it.

So I'm looking at solar again just for the trailer that I keep on my property so it could be a dual use situation where I use the system as intended for camping and possibly as a backup system on my property if power goes out for an extended period.

My question is can a affordable/practical solar system be installed that would reliably keep the battery bank charged for an extended period (>2 weeks) where the DC fridge keeps working along with typical RV usage except for the A/C system?

What is affordable/practical ... Well the alternative is to use a generator with enough gas to keep it running.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi 4X4
    USAF Veteran

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO a generator is so inexpensive to serve this purpose that it is the only option
    Up here in Canada solar is still very expensive
    If you had zero power to do what you want to do then solar makes more sense but since you are only concerned about the times you could have a power failure I think a generator is the best bet
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky2 View Post
    I have looked into installing solar systems on my property over the years but my results always concluded that the technology was not at the maturity level and the cost point that made it worth the investment. Now I have a small travel trailer that came with a entry level system that can help keep the battery charged and the fridge running while I travel but that's about it.

So I'm looking at solar again just for the trailer that I keep on my property so it could be a dual use situation where I use the system as intended for camping and possibly as a backup system on my property if power goes out for an extended period.

My question is can a affordable/practical solar system be installed that would reliably keep the battery bank charged for an extended period (>2 weeks) where the DC fridge keeps working along with typical RV usage except for the A/C system?

What is affordable/practical ... Well the alternative is to use a generator with enough gas to keep it running.
    Hi Corky,

That is a very challenging question because it is very subjective to specific circumstances.

I am not sure you could size a system fit your rv that would be suitable for a home. My home has a 13kwatt system and is grid tied, meaning when everyone else loses power so do we. The benefits are basically reduction in energy costs and that is also subjective because of the entry costs of solar. Here an California, we have state rebates and fed rebates that do a very good job to offset that entry(currently 24%).

I think what you could do is get a ground based system that could while at home benefit both trailer and home, but turn you lose on the road capability.

A ground based system would have plenty of solar, and battery backup for storage, then a switch on where the power goes and to what.

Another thought is a small ground based system that could keep essential items going like your refrigerators or any health devices you may have.

For a home, a good generator backup is a viable alternative if it is an emergency based system, but then the entry and operating costs get you. My brother is looking at a backup15k Generac system which will run him around 12-15k installed including the cost of the generator.

He is building a small shed to house it.

Not an easy answer.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies!

Is there a RV solar system that could reliably keep the RV battery bank charged without shore-power and provide normal RV usage for a extended time period (weeks/months)?

If yes, what would be the typical cost?

I'm thinking people that primitive camp or boondocking can do this.
    Last edited by Corky2; 09-06-2022 at 03:42 AM.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    USAF Veteran

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies!

Is there a RV solar system that could reliably keep the RV battery bank charged without shore-power and provide normal RV usage for a extended time period (weeks/months)?

You can build a solar system to do anything you want and run anything you want
    You need batteries to store power, inverters to convert it and solar to charge it
    I am sure 10k can be spent pretty easily
    One other thing to consider is weight. You may need to upgrade your cargo capacity
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    You can build a solar system to do anything you want and run anything you want
    You need batteries to store power, inverters to convert it and solar to charge it
    I am sure 10k can be spent pretty easily
    One other thing to consider is weight. You may need to upgrade your cargo capacity
    Thanks for the reply.

This is pretty much where I ended up the last time I looked into it. It seems the technology is not mature enough yet to provide a practical and cost-effective solar system that meets my needs. I'm sure some day this will happen, just not now.

I just hope gas remains readily available at a reasonable price for the foreseeable future. But then if it isn't how would we move our RV's.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    USAF Veteran

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes at roughly 1000 dollars per battery the technology needs to advance a lot more for me to get involved
    Solar panels are somewhat reasonable in the US. Not so much here in Canada
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply.

This is pretty much where I ended up the last time I looked into it. It seems the technology is not mature enough yet to provide a practical and cost-effective solar system that meets my needs. I'm sure some day this will happen, just not now.

I just hope gas remains readily available at a reasonable price for the foreseeable future. But then if it isn't how would we move our RV's.
    The answer is yes it can be done and it can be done affordably.

Solar technology is very mature and the prices have come down dramatically over the years. For example: it was theorized that once Solar panels reached $1.00 per Watt, everybody could afford a Solar system on their rooftop, I purchased my Solar panels at $0.69 cents per Watt.

I think the key to affordability is knowing exactly what you want to power with your Solar system and for how long. Additionally, being able to do the project your self can reduce the price substantially.

In your situation, it sounds like a ground mounted Solar system would fit your needs best. You have a choice in whether you tie it into the Electrical Grid or not, however most people will install a Grid Tied system.

Here is a video of a DIY install that compares the costs of DIY vs having the system installed:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNTO83FvaL4

By-the-way, the Install video is also a very informative:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xA6qOwnYbM

And a video I am sure you will want to watch; "Is Solar Worth it?":

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BatTeSq05rU

Finally, with the signing of the Inflation Reduction Act, there is a 30% tax credit available for both your Solar system and the batteries. This will go a long way toward making the System affordable.

PS: with a ground mount system, I would plan for future expansion of the system, you never know how soon you will be buying that F-150 Lightning.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an off grid recreational property with an RV, doing this approx. 12 years. The only time I run a generator is for the AC units.

The solar keeps the batteries charged, 2ea 200ah lithium & 1ea 300 roof top panel. I'm usually away during the week so if I go deep into the batteries lots of time to recharge.

There is also a 2000w inverter that will run any electrical demand except for the AC's.

This is my first season with the new RV, factory solar & I added the smart batteries. I've been debugging the solar system & other issue's with the rig. Once I corrected the factory installed issue with the solar panel the solar system has worked very well.

My back up generator which I would have even if we were connected to the grid(outages are frequent) is a 7kw fuel injected electric start Honda. It is dead quiet & will easily run both AC's with power to spare. This cost more than the the entire solar system & worth every dollar. I have a small 2kw Honda if we are travelling.

Thinking for next season I will add a portable 300w panel. The roof top panel generates 200w @ best laying flat. Then the system would easily handle a DC fridge, my 30Lbs propane consumption per week is killing me. You talk about lack of technology, this Norcold 2118 is the definition!

At some point I may build on this property & power is not that far away. Then I will have to do serious cost analysis. The technology especially with batteries has leaped & the costs have come down dramatically. I would have ruled out solar using AGM or LA batteries, short life cycles, charging & maintenance. Lithium changes all of that.
    2022 Solitude 310GK, Factory option Include, Dual Pane Winders, Slide Toppers, Solar pacakge, Gen Prep, Pull Out Kitchen & Heat Pump
    Cheaters list so far Includes, Snap Pads, 2ea 200ah Smart Heated Lithium Batteries
    2014 Sierra 3500HD Duramax LWB SRW

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies!

To add to what has been mentioned already, you first need to define what is your "normal RV usage" and then from there you can price out a system. Would you like to run the AC all day, use the microwave and everything else as if you were connected to shore power or simply run the fridge, some lights and water pump?
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast