Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Wake Up Call for the RV Industry ??

Maybe, just mabe this $35 million dollar fine to an major RV manufacturer will serve as a shot across the bow for all RV manufacturers that things need to change in the industry.

"In the 26-page consent order, Forest River admits it failed to report some of its early warning data — information such as warranty claims, customer complaints and deaths or injuries that happened as a result of its vehicles — and failed to issue two recalls in a timely manner".

http://m.elkharttruth.com/news/busin...reporting.html

What is interesting is that as a part of the settlement, Forest River is required to develop an RV industry wide "best practices" protocol for dealing with recall notifications.

"Finally, Forest River must work with NHTSA to create a list of “best practices” for the RV industry explaining the requirements for reporting safety and recall information the administration. The list will be made available to other companies in the industry and will be distributed at RV trade shows".

I wonder how Mr. Warren Buffet, who owns Forest River, feels about his investment today ?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that is huge. I thought that's what RIVA was for:

"RVIA maintains an inspection program to monitor compliance of the plumbing, heating, fire and life safety, and the electrical systems of the RVs manufactured by its members in conformance to the ANSI/NFPA 1192 standard for RVs. RVIA also provides an on-going Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) education program for its members."

. . . silly me.
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I am quite naive, but I would hope that Mr. Buffet is more concerned that his management team is allowing defective/dangerous products to go out the door of his factories. Even if he personally had to pay the fine, it's like you and I ordering dessert at an upscale restaurant! I am very interested in the effects on other companies, especially Grand Design. Seeing as many of the (safety) issues relate to Lippert, maybe all the end product manufacturers can present a united front to LCI.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $35 million is a pretty significant amount of money. I dare say most other RV manufacturer's without the benefit of Mr. Buffet's deep pockets when faced with such a fine, would find themselves on the brink of bankruptcy. I doubt our own G.D. could survive such a financial hit. Hopefully, these said manfacturer's will look at this and be smart enough to realize, "there for the Grace of God, go I."

james quinn
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    $35 million is a pretty significant amount of money. I dare say most other RV manufacturer's without the benefit of Mr. Buffet's deep pockets when faced with such a fine, would find themselves on the brink of bankruptcy. I doubt our own G.D. could survive such a financial hit. Hopefully, these said manfacturer's will look at this and be smart enough to realize, "there for the Grace of God, go I."
    2010-2014 total RV shipments were just shy of 1.5 million If Forest River has 80 % of production that amounts to about 30 bucks a unit. Cost of doing business.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Grace of God does not mean the smaller companies aren't part of the rightful targets of this action, but that the Forest River response and action plan will be their template for correct response to safety issues.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    James Quinn, you are totally right! But it is a shame that the $35 million fine could have been spent upfront in better PDIs, if they are done at Forest River factories, and proactive communications with owners to correct issues with their RVs BEFORE they had problems! So $35 million becomes $70 million. Sounds like Obamacare! Sorry, couldn't help it!
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justaguy View Post
    Wow, that is huge. I thought that's what RIVA was for:

"RVIA maintains an inspection program to monitor compliance of the plumbing, heating, fire and life safety, and the electrical systems of the RVs manufactured by its members in conformance to the ANSI/NFPA 1192 standard for RVs. RVIA also provides an on-going Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) education program for its members."

. . . silly me.
    Understand what the RVIA is. The initials stand for - Recreational Vehicle INDUSTRY Association! As much as they would like you to believe it - it’s not a watch dog group for the industry. As a consumer you are paying between $40.00 and $500.00 for the RVIA seal on the side of your door. You can’t opt out of it.

From a consumer stand point their value is questionable. From an industry stand point - it’s a God send. It maintains the minimal standards across the industry.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mburtsvt View Post
    Understand what the RVIA is. The initials stand for - Recreational Vehicle INDUSTRY Association! As much as they would like you to believe it - it’s not a watch dog group for the industry. As a consumer you are paying between $40.00 and $500.00 for the RVIA seal on the side of your door. You can’t opt out of it.

From a consumer stand point their value is questionable. From an industry stand point - it’s a God send. It maintains the minimal standards across the industry.

Thanks...I didn't know then but I know it now.
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If The Feds were so concerned about RV safety, they could start with the sub-par Chinese tires being put on just about every RV (and boat) trailer sold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast