User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strange Roof Bubbles - Membrane separating, water, or something else?

Hi all,

We got back from a 2500 mile trip and upon inspecting the roof, I noticed some weird bubbling in the rear, driver's side quarter of the membrane over the bathroom. The trailer is a 2021 Imagine 2400BH, purchased late 2020. The bubbling is adjacent to the bathroom vent and skylight and extends about two feet. One of the tank vents is on the opposite side of the bubbling. The membrane still feels pretty well attached, but the area feels doughy. Pressing on it will leave finger marks in the membrane that don't disappear right away, which are shown in the one picture.

I took the trailer into our GD dealer to have the area inspected and they are saying the roof seems normal and these are perhaps glue blobs from the roof install that are soft. The tech said he has seen these blobs before in GD trailers because the glue is poured on heavy. Seems not quite right to me, and the wife and I don't remember these spots in the roof in the past. We are on the roof every few months inspecting the caulking.

Any ideas? This seems strange to me. I'm not sure if glue blobs are a real thing, if the membrane is just lifting as others have, or if water is under there (not sure how it could have gotten there). I could cut a small slit into the membrane to inspect and then eternabond over it, but I'm pretty reluctant to do that. I'm trying to get a second opinion from another dealer. There are no signs of water intrusion inside, and roof decking seems okay.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails roof1.jpg   roof2.jpg  
    Last edited by GregTheLeg; 09-06-2022 at 09:32 AM.
    2021 Imagine 2400BH
    2018 F-150, 3.5EB, 6.5ft bed, Max Tow Pkg, Equalizer 4

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ours has and still does have similar spots like yours. It seems when it’s hot and humid they show up more. I would not recommend cutting into the membrane. With ours, I’m on the roof checking it after each trip. This is our 3rd season with this trailer and the spots have remained the same.

But do keep an eye on it and it’s good that you have it documented with your dealer and GD.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    Ours has and still does have similar spots like yours. It seems when it’s hot and humid they show up more. I would not recommend cutting into the membrane. With ours, I’m on the roof checking it after each trip. This is our 3rd season with this trailer and the spots have remained the same.

But do keep an eye on it and it’s good that you have it documented with your dealer and GD.
    Tigger,
    Thanks for the info. Good to know that someone else is seeing this issue and so far no problems. We noticed these bubble areas the first time on a hot and humid day, so maybe that is when they are easiest to see. The areas seem less doughy and less noticeable to the eye when the weather is cooler. Just surprised we didn't see them sooner.
    2021 Imagine 2400BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its called outgassing and is perfectly normal.. if you check your TPO membrane at various times of the day with the sun beating on it you will see changes in those bubbles and also when the roof cools down

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper02 View Post
    Its called outgassing and is perfectly normal.. if you check your TPO membrane at various times of the day with the sun beating on it you will see changes in those bubbles and also when the roof cools down
    Thanks Viper. We just got back from a trip to the Black Hills, SD when we noticed the roof bubbles. This was the first time trailer was at the 7000 feet elevation, so maybe the lower air pressure allowed more outgassing and the bubbles to become larger and more notice. In any case, thanks for the feedback/help.
    2021 Imagine 2400BH