User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Challenge with GM Rear Trailer Camera.

I added the GM Auxiliary Trailer Camera to my Solitude 310GK-R coupled into our 3500HD Long bed. Because the GM Camera receiver is in the bumper vs in the bed, I brought the line for the camera out above the basement of the 310, in the center (added a X-Haibei RV Trailer Camper Electric Power Cord Cable Hatch Round Fits 2-3/4 inches Dia. Hole Flip Up Cover (Black) – from Amazon). On trip one, I ripped out the “plugin” because I did not allow enough slack in the line. This required me to get a new plug and the crimper to install a new coax plug (also Amazon - HKS Coax Ratchet Crimping Tool Kit for Coaxial RG Cable RF Connector with 5 Changeable Dies, Rotary Coaxial Cable Stripper/Cutter and Stripper/Cutter Piler, coupled with 5pcs RF coaxial Connector RP-TNC Male Plug Crimp for 50 Ohm RG58 RG142 lmr195 rg400 Cable, another $60 investment but now I have a new tool 😊 ). Trip 2, I nearly ripped it out again when backing into the storage lot (~ a 45 degree turn needed).
    Has anyone with a 5th wheel found a way to prevent this from occurring? Can the Camera port that is in the bumper be added to the truck bed (GM part number?)? What is needed to fish the line from the basement to near the pin (I looked and it does not appear to have a clear opening from either the basement or from the closet)
    TIA
    Clark and Jane (& Riley our Chocolate Lab)
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R, Solar Package, Slide Toppers, ABS
    2022 Silverado 3500HD SRW 8' High Country, B&W Companion 20K Hitch
    Previous Rigs: 2016 Cross Roads Sunset by THOR - 250RB, 2016 2500 HD Double Cab Gas

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had the GM HD camera on our previous trailer. Because the connection was on the bumper I didn't try to route the cable through to the pin box but instead brought it up from under the trailer, up the the underside of the above the front compartment, ran it to the middle, then used a spring to hold the extra cable. Never had an issue pulling the cable out.

On the Solitude we went with a Haloview BT7 system. I loved the picture quality with the GM camera but wanted to easily view behind us while we drive and we normally have something running in Car Play.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5588.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	43011
    2022 Solitude 310 GK-R
    2021 GMC 3500

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @crv0262 I just got a 2023 GMC (with the surround cameras) and am considering the camera. My plan was similar to what @manderson showed above.
    I currently have the Furrion and separate display monitor and have never found it very useful (and a pain having it on my dash).
    A few questions if you don't mind:
    1) What are you thoughts on the GM Aux trailer camera? Do you find it very useful? I don't yet understand when the cameras are active. If I play with the cameras (without a trailer attached) they time out. When hauling, when is the trailer camera active? I did haul a utility trailer about a mile and saw how the blinkers activate the cameras. I like this, but how does the rear camera work with this?
    2) Did you mount up top, or bumper height.
    Thanks
    Ron & Kim
    Flint, MI
    2023 GMC 3500 SRW
    2018 Solitude 375RES

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has been a year since I had the trailer with the GM camera setup and my truck at that time was a 2018 3500. I mounted the camera near the top of the trailer then ran the cable across to the ladder then down the ladder. What I found is that you have to attach the camera cable to the truck before you start the engine or it won't be available to select. This was kind of a pain because sometimes I would back up and connect and not turn off the engine. Just something I had to get used to. Once the camera is available to select you can keep that up on the screen as long as you want and it will not go away. We use Apple Car Play so we always have navigation, music, etc up on the screen and it was a lot of touches to go from there to the camera and back again. Because my navigation was on the screen most of the time I really never ran with the backup camera visible very much unless I was backing up.

With the Haloview BT7 system I have a mount for the rear view mirror that holds the monitor. I just need to turn on my running lights and the three cameras connect. Now I can glance at my rear view mirror like I normally would if the trailer wasn't connected and see what is happening behind me on the BT7 monitor and still use the GM monitor for Car Play. If you put a memory card in the BT7 monitor you can also turn on recording for all the cameras.

The picture quality was way better with the GM camera but I am happy with the trade off in quality to make the system more useful for me. @RonSel Hopefully that helps.

Name:	IMG_5575.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	43354
    2022 Solitude 310 GK-R
    2021 GMC 3500

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonSel View Post
    @crv0262 I just got a 2023 GMC (with the surround cameras) and am considering the camera. My plan was similar to what @manderson showed above.
    I currently have the Furrion and separate display monitor and have never found it very useful (and a pain having it on my dash).
    A few questions if you don't mind:
    1) What are you thoughts on the GM Aux trailer camera? Do you find it very useful? I don't yet understand when the cameras are active. If I play with the cameras (without a trailer attached) they time out. When hauling, when is the trailer camera active? I did haul a utility trailer about a mile and saw how the blinkers activate the cameras. I like this, but how does the rear camera work with this?
    2) Did you mount up top, or bumper height.
    Thanks
    The item I dislike about the GM Camera is the plug location on the 3500HD. Even though the truck is set up with a puck system and in bed power, the camera plug is in the bumper. For a 5th wheel, this is not optimal. I have ruined one Aux Trailer plug already. I am working now to see if I can move the plug to the bed and extend the cable. My camera is mounted above at the top of my 310GK, above the furion camera mount (which I dont use). This past trip I used the camera "full time" when traveling and I really liked the view. It was a clear view of the what was occurring behind me, and the camera stays active full time.
    Previous Rigs: 2016 Cross Roads Sunset by THOR - 250RB, 2016 2500 HD Double Cab Gas

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was kinda shocked to see that my 4 pin trailer is in the box, and the bumper 4pin was replaced with the camera connections. not sure who at GM thought that was a good idea. Anyway, I think I will get the camera and work thru the same issues. Thanks for update.
    Ron & Kim
    Flint, MI
    2023 GMC 3500 SRW
    2018 Solitude 375RES

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mounted my GM camera up high also and display it most of the time while towing, especially in heavy traffic. Not too much trouble to get to the audio screen as needed.

I wonder if the new trucks with the bigger display allow for “windows” like management of what is on the screen. Don’t know.

I prefer google for nav so my Nav display is on the phone with a Bullet Point mount.

My rig is a trailer so the plug in the bumper is fine. Also had to Lear not to plug in the camera with the engine running.

For my bike rack lights I use a 7 to 4 pin converter since there is no 4 pin outside the truck bed. Works good for me.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In case anyone cares. I got the GM camera and decided to mount under the rear window (about 7' high, right behind my drop down TV set). I did not want to run the wire on the roof or side (per the instruction book). So I decided to run it into the basements. The area up top where the factory Furion camera was installed seemed just to congested. On my trailer the rear basements run all the way up to the rear axle. From there, I dropped into the underbelly and took it all the way up to the start of the drop-frame. Then I attached it to the frame and come up into my front compartment. I have not yet figured out how I will permanently deal with a coiled harness in my front compartment (but now I can use it with a bungee and it stores it in a protected area).
    So far a few pro/con of my decision:
    Pro:
    * no wires showing anywhere
    Cons:
    * The connector on the camera is large and awkwardly shaped. Every nice hole that I drilled had to have a nasty oblong on it to get connector thru it.
    * What I thought was an hour job, took a day.

Recommendation: If you go with an internal cable routing, either figure out how to take the plug off (it looks like it should come off) or make a practice hole in scrap wood to the pattern you need figured out.

Name:	solitueback.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	566.8 KB 
ID:	44340
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20230105_093645216.jpg  
    Ron & Kim
    Flint, MI
    2023 GMC 3500 SRW
    2018 Solitude 375RES

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonSel View Post
    In case anyone cares. I got the GM camera and decided to mount under the rear window (about 7' high, right behind my drop down TV set). I did not want to run the wire on the roof or side (per the instruction book). So I decided to run it into the basements. The area up top where the factory Furion camera was installed seemed just to congested. On my trailer the rear basements run all the way up to the rear axle. From there, I dropped into the underbelly and took it all the way up to the start of the drop-frame. Then I attached it to the frame and come up into my front compartment. I have not yet figured out how I will permanently deal with a coiled harness in my front compartment (but now I can use it with a bungee and it stores it in a protected area).
    So far a few pro/con of my decision:
    Pro:
    * no wires showing anywhere
    Cons:
    * The connector on the camera is large and awkwardly shaped. Every nice hole that I drilled had to have a nasty oblong on it to get connector thru it.
    * What I thought was an hour job, took a day.

Recommendation: If you go with an internal cable routing, either figure out how to take the plug off (it looks like it should come off) or make a practice hole in scrap wood to the pattern you need figured out.

Name:	solitueback.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	566.8 KB 
ID:	44340
    With a 5th wheel, I have now pulled the cable out of the bumper housing twice. That housing comes apart, however to unscrew the F coaxial Connector RP-TNC Male Plug, you need to heat it first, as GM has glued the connector to the bumper plug. Replacement connectors are available on Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After the second failure, I routed the wire (with an extension cable), also available on Amazon

I am in the process of swapping my rear bumper 7 Pin, that has the Camera Ports, with the In Bed 7 Pin/4 pin connector. This requires 2 extension cables, I bought through Pasternack, www.pasternack.com part numbers:

Black FAKRA Jack to FAKRA Plug Low Loss Cable 36 Inch Length Using LMR-100 Coax, SKU: PE3W08444-36

Water Blue FAKRA Plug to FAKRA Jack Low Loss Cable 36 Inch Length Using LMR-100 Coax, SKU: PE3C2779-36.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crv0262 View Post
    With a 5th wheel, I have now pulled the cable out of the bumper housing twice. That housing comes apart, however to unscrew the F coaxial Connector RP-TNC Male Plug, you need to heat it first, as GM has glued the connector to the bumper plug. Replacement connectors are available on Amazon.

After the second failure, I routed the wire (with an extension cable), also available on Amazon

I am in the process of swapping my rear bumper 7 Pin, that has the Camera Ports, with the In Bed 7 Pin/4 pin connector. This requires 2 extension cables, I bought through Pasternack, www.pasternack.com part numbers:

Black FAKRA Jack to FAKRA Plug Low Loss Cable 36 Inch Length Using LMR-100 Coax, SKU: PE3W08444-36

Water Blue FAKRA Plug to FAKRA Jack Low Loss Cable 36 Inch Length Using LMR-100 Coax, SKU: PE3C2779-36.
    thanks for the info. let me know how it works out. I think that will be on my todo list.
    Ron & Kim
    Flint, MI
    2023 GMC 3500 SRW
    2018 Solitude 375RES

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast