User Tag List

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ONLY 6 MONTHS OLD--and this was my anode rod

Just replaced the anode rod in the trailers water heater. Hard to believe this (see photo ) is the result of only 6 months.

My home's water heater doesn't eat rod a fast as this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails anode   .jpg  
    2022 Solitude 378mbs-r with 3rd air and solar package, Flux Capacitor pending, Removed Nautilus and replaced with the Bruce Select-A-Matic

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, looks familiar.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks about right, depending on the water of course.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's working!
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where have you been? LOL
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok-to all you NAY-SAYERS who will indicate that there is still some life left in the anode rods i present this argument.

From the photos you can see most of the erosion has taken place next to the 3/4 mounting. However the rest of the rod is only slightly worn. So this puts most of the STRESS (holding up the weight of the rod) at the most worn point.

Now if this was my house heater , with the rod vertical, i would say i have another 6months to a year to inspect again.

But, Because of the horizontal mount and the constant upward and downward motion of trailer over roads this worn area is being moved ever so slightly.

Now you know what happens when you bend a piece of metal back and forth ..eventually it breaks.

And what i'm not looking for is to try and fish it out of my heater after that happens.

so rather than having to inspect every year as i winterize the $10 i just spent is more like an ounce of prevention.
    2022 Solitude 378mbs-r with 3rd air and solar package, Flux Capacitor pending, Removed Nautilus and replaced with the Bruce Select-A-Matic

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Replaced mine before we left - same erosion point at 5 months.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Hoopy said. It depends where you have been and the water in the tank...the rod is working as intended.
    FYI, there is a solid steel core. It won't flex and break off in the tank. At least the ones I've seen.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Like Hoopy said. It depends where you have been and the water in the tank...the rod is working as intended.
    FYI, there is a solid steel core. It won't flex and break off in the tank. At least the ones I've seen.
    That is true I have run mine down a lot more than that without incident on my last TT. I have yet to look at this ones. Probably will when it cools off. There are at least two different types, and one of them lasts much longer. IDR the specifics, but if you are concerned about the amount of wear , you might want to look into it.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ForBruce View Post
    Just replaced the anode rod in the trailers water heater. Hard to believe this (see photo ) is the result of only 6 months.

My home's water heater doesn't eat rod a fast as this
    I got really fed-up with trying to clean that crap out of the bottom of the tank. I bought an "electronic anode rod". I installed a 110 Volt version and my brother installed a 12 volt DC version. Its only been a couple of years but at least I don't have to clean-out the mess in the tank. The AC unit was about $85 while the 12 volt version was slightly over $100.
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,