Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

L-profile sealing issue on 5th wheel front cap

The black L-profile (see pictures in attachment) on front cap of my 31MB is moving down after the 5th wheel is disconnected from the truck.
    Any idea if this could be a critical issue. For sure water will enter on top of the L-profile because the seal is destroyed by the movements.
    Grand Design recommended to bring the 5th wheel to an authorized dealer. The first available appointment is for 01/09/2023!!!

Thanks for any input.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disconnected.jpg   Connected.jpg  
    2019 RAM 3500
    2020 Reflexion 31MB

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a characteristic symptom of broken weld(s) for the frame.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanebampel View Post
    The black L-profile (see pictures in attachment) on front cap of my 31MB is moving down after the 5th wheel is disconnected from the truck.
    Any idea if this could be a critical issue. For sure water will enter on top of the L-profile because the seal is destroyed by the movements.
    Grand Design recommended to bring the 5th wheel to an authorized dealer. The first available appointment is for 01/09/2023!!!

Thanks for any input.
    Agree 100% with geotex1. Contact Lippert directly to open a case with them and for measurement instructions. There is a pdf that has been posted on the forum and I have a copy in my email if you need it. The measurements may not be completely necessary, but can provide additional evidence for a broken weld in the upper deck. The filon will have to be dropped for inspection. If you can't get into a dealer, consider a competent mobile tech. I have seen a few YT videos where a mobile tech did the inspection, and in one, the tech even performed the weld repairs.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    geotex1,
    Thank you so much for your feedback. Broken weld(s) was my concern too.
    2019 RAM 3500
    2020 Reflexion 31MB

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Fsalmy,
    I think I found the measurement instructions (please confirm the attached sheet). Will measure later and open a case with Lippert.
    Really appreciate all the inputs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upper deck flex measurement.jpeg  
    2019 RAM 3500
    2020 Reflexion 31MB

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar symptom (SOB, not GD) and went through this earlier this year. After opening a case with LCI they sent me the sheet above to complete before further investigation.

After completing the form, I was convinced my frame did not have an issue.

After removing the front cap, chin material under the overhang and part of the driver side fiberglass wall, I did have some frame issues around where the driver side propane tank was located but they were not a contributing factor to my original problem.

I hope you get this sorted out.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi bjlakatos,
    Thank for you feedback. We took some measurements yesterday and the movements (torsion of king pin, movement of L-profiles) are approx. 1/8" to 3/16".

My biggest challenges right now: Grand Design asks me go to a dealer for an inspection, but the earliest appointment at the dealership will be in 02/2023.
    - What do I do with the 5th wheel in the next 6 months? If I continue to use it and something bad happens, will GD or Lippert still pay?
    - At the time of the appointment (01/2023), the 3 year structural warranty will be expired and according to the dealer, the damage will no longer be covered under warranty (seems very strange to me).
    2019 RAM 3500
    2020 Reflexion 31MB

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I continued to use mine without issue while waiting to get into the shop. I had to keep sealing/resealing to prevent water damage where the trim separated. When I asked this question to the shop, they noted (in my situation) it would eventually crack the fiberglass wall.

Regarding timing of the inspection, my recommendation is find a dealer (reach out to GD direct to recommend a dealer) that will get it done ASAP. Once your warranty is out it will be an uphill battle.

Not sure what your time availability is but you may consider taking it to the GD factory or meeting up with one of their mobile teams across the US. In general, I have had good luck with the mfgr in recommending a shop (Elkhart area) or making time for me in their shop when I needed help ASAP.

In my experience, this is not a trivial or low cost repair and finding a shop that is capable is not easy. Getting the inspection done is fairly simple. Getting the repair done is much more involved in terms of time and cost, you definitely want GD leading the charge here.