User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    LOL.....no worries, I retired a little over two years ago and there's no one around to give me a hard time like in the past. The only reason it was "challenging" is because I had to figure out the "magic" box, aka One Control. I also had to get into the programming area or it and add a switch in the software.....with no backup of the existing programming. That was was either brave....or stupid, and I still haven't decided which.

It's all just voltage....12VDC, 5V logic circuits, 480 three ø....I've worked on all of it. The job I retired from was almost all high voltage stuff.....4160VAC and 13.8Kv...maint. and repair and troubleshooting. The nice thing about being retired, I get to pick and choose what I want to do....and how long it takes, and whether or not I even want to do it. In the case of the One Control, I added a little more magic to the "magic" box. In other words...I won, and more importantly, I didn't let any smoke out.
    Yeah, HV, Holy Voltage, I stay away from that! I'm happy with my DC and less than 48 volts. Much happier with less than 12 though. I'm a hobby EE, if you can call it that. I enjoy designing and building analog circuits. Haven't done any for my 320MKS yet, but that'll come in time. It was a little difficult giving away all of my tools and discrete components, but the kid I gave them to is majoring in EE and analog circuits, so it's not that bad.

I can't tell you the number of times I've "Ooopsied" and let the smoke out.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Yeah, HV, Holy Voltage, I stay away from that! I'm happy with my DC and less than 48 volts. Much happier with less than 12 though. I'm a hobby EE, if you can call it that. I enjoy designing and building analog circuits. Haven't done any for my 320MKS yet, but that'll come in time. It was a little difficult giving away all of my tools and discrete components, but the kid I gave them to is majoring in EE and analog circuits, so it's not that bad.

I can't tell you the number of times I've "Ooopsied" and let the smoke out.
    I had two semesters of Electronics while going through my apprenticeship because it was a requirement. At the time, PLCs were really coming into play for industrial control, as well as the GE logic control stuff (0-5V)....so they required it. After I topped out, I took a couple of semesters of Digital electronics also...figuring that it might help a bit with the PLC stuff. Realistically, our work never really required troubleshooting down to the component level. If an input/output card wasn't working, you popped a new one in and got the machine working again.

I enjoyed the high voltage work though....other than suiting up in a 40 Cal. flash suit and hood with high voltage gloves on when it was 90° out and the sweat was pouring off of me. We did maint. on HV switchgear, transformers, motor starters, ect. plus the normal HV switching to support the work we were doing. It always fun racking in a 4160V breaker with a racking handle while standing in front of an open cubicle wearing a flash suit that is supposed to protect you if something goes sideways. One thing about it though, you learned pretty quickly to never take any shortcuts and to be thorough....Very thorough when doing the inspections on the equipment to make sure that every single piece of it was working properly before you racked it in on a hot buss.
    Last edited by xrated; 09-13-2022 at 09:18 PM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12