User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Broke my solar connector and WFCO converter this weekend?

Hi folks,

Bottom line I went outside tonight and noticed I needed to charge my batteries (9.9V) and then discovered the converter didn’t want to come on.

Took my 2019 Imagine 2800BH out this past week and I was using solar to run my starlink for work.

I had it wired in a little backwards where the solar converter was clipped across batteries (2ea 6V SLA w/ Victron smart shunt) and the inverter was connected to the exterior “solar connector”. This was running great until I plugged the laptop in to the inverter to charge. I suspect at this point I blew a fuse for the solar connector but I haven’t been able to locate it yet. The rest of the weekend I ran with both inverter and solar connected at battery box.

Fast forward to tonight I noticed the lights were dim when I went out to get something so I opted to plug trailer in to charge off converter. Lights weren’t getting brighter so I checked smart shunt to find battery voltage was under 10V and still discharging.

From there I started charging batteries from external charger. They seem “ok”.

Verified reverse polarity fuses on converter (WFCO-9855) and plugged in to external outlet. From there I can see that fan is not coming on any there is no output voltage with the battery disconnect switch open.

I went to remove the converter but notice there is a ground wire run through ground lug on converter that connects on both ends. One end goes to panel and the other disappears in to floor. Tempted to just cut it at converter and join later but thought I’d get options here and ask if anyone knows, where does the other end of this ground wire go?

Any thoughts what may have caused the converter to fail without first pulling it out of the cabinet?

Thanks,
    Devan
    2019 Imagine 2800BH
    2018 Ford Expedition XLT w/ Heavy Duty Tow

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devanl View Post
    Hi folks,

Bottom line I went outside tonight and noticed I needed to charge my batteries (9.9V) and then discovered the converter didn’t want to come on.

Took my 2019 Imagine 2800BH out this past week and I was using solar to run my starlink for work.

I had it wired in a little backwards where the solar converter was clipped across batteries (2ea 6V SLA w/ Victron smart shunt) and the inverter was connected to the exterior “solar connector”. This was running great until I plugged the laptop in to the inverter to charge. I suspect at this point I blew a fuse for the solar connector but I haven’t been able to locate it yet. The rest of the weekend I ran with both inverter and solar connected at battery box.

Fast forward to tonight I noticed the lights were dim when I went out to get something so I opted to plug trailer in to charge off converter. Lights weren’t getting brighter so I checked smart shunt to find battery voltage was under 10V and still discharging.

From there I started charging batteries from external charger. They seem “ok”.

Verified reverse polarity fuses on converter (WFCO-9855) and plugged in to external outlet. From there I can see that fan is not coming on any there is no output voltage with the battery disconnect switch open.

I went to remove the converter but notice there is a ground wire run through ground lug on converter that connects on both ends. One end goes to panel and the other disappears in to floor. Tempted to just cut it at converter and join later but thought I’d get options here and ask if anyone knows, where does the other end of this ground wire go?

Any thoughts what may have caused the converter to fail without first pulling it out of the cabinet?

Thanks,
    Devan
    Hey Devan, so sorry you're having problems with your electrical system. It would help if you could add a bit more information (pictures are always good). First, when you say "solar converter" do you mean the charge controller? What model are you using? I'm assuming the two 6-volt batteries are wired in series? A picture of your setup would make that easier to understand. As far as the ground is concerned, I also have the 9855 and you should be able to simply disconnect it if you want to remove the converter/charger.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are the converter fuses blown?
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Hey Devan, so sorry you're having problems with your electrical system. It would help if you could add a bit more information (pictures are always good). First, when you say "solar converter" do you mean the charge controller? What model are you using? I'm assuming the two 6-volt batteries are wired in series? A picture of your setup would make that easier to understand. As far as the ground is concerned, I also have the 9855 and you should be able to simply disconnect it if you want to remove the converter/charger.
    My solar kit is a PWM charger (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075SZMFP2?th=1).

Here is the battery box. You should be able to see two series 6V SLA's with a smart shunt attached to the low-side and mid-point.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-3995.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	42956

Also here is the ground wire I mentioned that is passing through the converter (presumably different from DC Neg terminal. I think I am going to cut and splice this after repair.

Name:	IMG-3996.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	42957

Regards,
    Devan
    2019 Imagine 2800BH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Are the converter fuses blown?
    Yep, checked the fuses with meter and they look good. Keep the ideas coming
    2019 Imagine 2800BH

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the pics @Devanl, they do help. The charge converter from your solar should be connected to the same points as your load, I can't tell for sure if that it the case. As far as your charger/converter, I haven't seen a ground connection like that before where the copper wire runs through the converter. That will make removing the c/c more challenging, you may be correct that cutting it makes sense unless you can find one end and pull it through.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea my WFCO 9855 was the same way. It is totally fine to cut it and reconnect.

Below is my old 9855 with the ground wire attached the same way.

When I installed my PD, I cut the ground removed the old converter/charger and twisted them back together on the new unit. Works fine.

Name:	5368.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	42964

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you checked to see if you have 110V AC going into the converter? In our 2650 the converter is on its own breaker.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tonight I pulled the WFCO unit out and brought it in the shop. Looks like the voltage output is zero and there is no visible sign of failed components. Measuring across the internal fuse did not reveal anything.

As a side note, does anyone find it unusual that the housing used rivets instead of screws with a fuse inside?

I guess it’s time to plan replacement here. Any recommendations on a replacement converter? Seems like COTEK may make a nice 50A option here?

Regards,
    Devan
    2019 Imagine 2800BH

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devanl View Post
    Tonight I pulled the WFCO unit out and brought it in the shop. Looks like the voltage output is zero and there is no visible sign of failed components. Measuring across the internal fuse did not reveal anything.

As a side note, does anyone find it unusual that the housing used rivets instead of screws with a fuse inside?

I guess it’s time to plan replacement here. Any recommendations on a replacement converter? Seems like COTEK may make a nice 50A option here?

Regards,
    Devan
    I replaced mine with a Progressive Dynamics 9260CV. Love it.

If you have Lifepo4 you can get the Progressive Dynamics 9160ALV

Took me 20-30 minutes to swap it out.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast