User Tag List

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andersen hitch second hole expectations?

I use my first hole from the right on my shank and that does not allow the tailgate down because of the power jack. What can I expect if I move to the first from left hole on the shank and extend the distance to the ball? It still may not allow the tailgate down but I am curious of towing differences. Such a small change but am not sure so am asking the community.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	66A2DBD5-7230-4AB9-9A94-A0368CB7B20B.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	42955
    Randy and Kris

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used both. Can't say for sure whether it affected handling much as cross winds are never the same. But no drastic issues occurred.

Btw: I love my Andersen hitch.

John

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If wanting to lower your tailgate is your goal then turn the head of the jack 90 degrees. Pointing to either street or curb side. It worked for me. As for raising or lowering, you want your tt to either be level or a little nose low. Nose high might create sway. I don't think that moving the hitch will help you much in lowering the tailgate. Moving the head is a quick and easy mod. I'm glad I did it.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 59 Apache View Post
    I have used both. Can't say for sure whether it affected handling much as cross winds are never the same. But no drastic issues occurred.

Btw: I love my Andersen hitch.

John
    I’m with you. I like the tun-ability of the chain system. I’ll give it a try. I don’t think the 90 degree turn is what I want to do at this moment, but it will be second on my list.
    Randy and Kris

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love my Andersen as well. If you use the second hole on the left side of your image, I don't see any major issues. Theoretically, you will increase the moment arm of the trailer pushing down on your hitch which would increase the weight on your rear axle. However, I don't think there is much real world difference.
    Hobienick

2012 F150 SCREW 3.5 EB, 6.5 Bed, Max Tow
    2022 Imagine 2800BH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    I use my first hole from the right on my shank and that does not allow the tailgate down because of the power jack. What can I expect if I move to the first from left hole on the shank and extend the distance to the ball?]
    I use the second hole, and I turned the jack 90 degrees. Being able to open the tailgate when hitched is great. I tow just fine, but I am at about 50% of both payload and towing capacity so....
    Turning the hitch was a fairly simple job once I bought a tap and die kit from Harbor Freight.
    The other advantage of using the second hole is that when I am removing the hitch I pull the hitch pin and put it in the first hole, then pull the hitch. I leave the hitch pin there so it doesn't get lost and is right there when I am putting the hitch back on. Minor benefit, but still nice.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar