Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

310GK Generator Shroud removal?

I recently took delivery of a Solitude 310GK-R, it has the generator prep package, which I thought I wanted. In fact, every available one in my area had the package. My wife and I are planning some longer trips and thought an onboard genny might be beneficial, until we got a quote for the genset and installation. It was quoted at $9500, which is absurd. A super quiet Champion 4500 watt dual fuel inverter can had for $1100…. It could ride in the forward bay, or the back of the truck.

My real question is, has anyone removed the generator compartment shroud from the front bay and recovered the large storage space that exists above where the generator would have been installed? Seems a logical location for solar charge controller and inverter etc. There is a lot of wasted space up there…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided to tackle the generator shroud removal and it was ridiculously easy. There are only 4 self-tapping bolts holding it down. I removed the 2 that are easy to see. Then I used a razor knife to slice the sealent along the entire inside base of the shroud. It cuts pretty easy. On the wall side where you cannot easily get to the other two bolts, I used a grinder underneath the trailer to grind them flush with the floor. My plan was to drill them out from underneath but instead I tried pushing a crow bar along the floor inside of the trailer under the shroud. Tapped the bar with a hammer and they popped right out. The sealent comes right off with a putty knife and I suddenly have an amazing amount of usable space!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I removed my shroud as well. The two screws against the side wall were a pain, but instead of cutting them, I used a long socket extension and was able to get to them. Once out, I made a shelf in the bay to organize the stuff in there. Way more useful space.
    Rick & Lynn Bowers
    2016 Reflection 337 RLS, (Sold) 2018 GMC 3500HD Denali DRW (Sold)
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R, 2022 GMC 3500HD Denali DRW - Blue

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just did this today. On the screws you can't see, I put a drill on them (under the floor), no bit-tightened the drill on the screw & spun them up. Shroud & screws came right off after loosening the rubber/glue.
    Put in a piece of plywood to stiffen the floor & cover the holes. Covered that with a cheap rubber backed indoor/outdoor rug from Ace Hdwr.

Putting in a shelf tomorrow.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC