User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lack of window valances in s-class a problem?

Good day,
    We are former motor home full-timers (40' Newmar Ventana LE sold in May) and are looking at getting back into RV'ing, but on a more seasonal site basis. In other words, not running the roads like we did, just snow-birding between AZ and CO.
    We have always been fans of the GD fifth wheels and are currently looking at the 345GK-R and the 3330RE-R S-class. I thought I was aware of all the differences (no hydraulics, no central vac, cheaper hitch pin, standard windows, etc. Then I was looking at 3330 pics on line yesterday and noticed there were no vertical window valances to keep the roller blinds tucked in. The 345 and other full Solitudes show side valances.
    So I assume this is an S-class thing to reduce cost and/or weight?
    And have any of you S-class owners noticed a lack of privacy or light coming around the blinds? Is there a ready made solution? Or would it require custom building valances? My wife loves her privacy and this could be a deciding factor come time to purchase. Really like the 3330 floorplan better for our purposes, but its' these little things that make an RV comfortable long term.
    Thanks in advance for any input.
    SteveM

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smullinax View Post
    Good day,
    We are former motor home full-timers (40' Newmar Ventana LE sold in May) and are looking at getting back into RV'ing, but on a more seasonal site basis. In other words, not running the roads like we did, just snow-birding between AZ and CO.
    We have always been fans of the GD fifth wheels and are currently looking at the 345GK-R and the 3330RE-R S-class. I thought I was aware of all the differences (no hydraulics, no central vac, cheaper hitch pin, standard windows, etc. Then I was looking at 3330 pics on line yesterday and noticed there were no vertical window valances to keep the roller blinds tucked in. The 345 and other full Solitudes show side valances.
    So I assume this is an S-class thing to reduce cost and/or weight?
    And have any of you S-class owners noticed a lack of privacy or light coming around the blinds? Is there a ready made solution? Or would it require custom building valances? My wife loves her privacy and this could be a deciding factor come time to purchase. Really like the 3330 floorplan better for our purposes, but its' these little things that make an RV comfortable long term.
    Thanks in advance for any input.
    SteveM
    More RVers seem to hate the edge boxes than prefer them. Supposedly a couple manufacturers have run poles at the shows confirming this, but I've need seen the results. The S-Class come with privacy shades only and are cut to frame width. The standoff from the window is minimal, and anyone seeing through that tiny gap would have to be right against your coach. We don't miss the edge boxes at all. I'm one of those that hate them because they always seem to be in the way. We have upgraded several of our windows to day/night shades so we have more options in the hot summer sun.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of value in the S-Class in my opinion and we sure like ours. We happen to have window valences in our 2019 model, but as you mentioned there are some other cost cutting things that they do. One is electric jacks, but after listening to hydraulic issues in a Lippert session I attended at the National Rally, I'll take my electric jacks any day of the week. Easy to use and I can easily replace a motor if necessary. I added a central vac to ours and recently installed a Mooryde pin box. My wife and I both prefer the less expensive sliding windows that we have over the other Solitude windows. To each their own, but the S-Class that we have is a perfect fit for our needs.
    2019 Solitude S-Class 2930RL
    2021 RAM 3500 SRW CC Short Box HO Cummins Rear Air Suspension

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses!
    I'm planning to look at both a 345 and a 3330 side by side next week so should have a better feel for the valance question. We liked them in the Newmar though for the privacy.
    Geotex1; adding day shades was another thing on my list of possible upgrades.....are they a DIY job? I see them on some Keystone products.

roegs01; I have heard/read many comments on the electric/hydraulic question, but tend to agree that simpler is sometimes better. Still remember a Newmar service manager's candid comments that the simpler base coaches stayed out on the road while the optioned-out high end ones stayed in his facility!
    SteveM

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smullinax View Post
    Thanks for the responses!
    I'm planning to look at both a 345 and a 3330 side by side next week so should have a better feel for the valance question. We liked them in the Newmar though for the privacy.
    Geotex1; adding day shades was another thing on my list of possible upgrades.....are they a DIY job? I see them on some Keystone products.

roegs01; I have heard/read many comments on the electric/hydraulic question, but tend to agree that simpler is sometimes better. Still remember a Newmar service manager's candid comments that the simpler base coaches stayed out on the road while the optioned-out high end ones stayed in his facility!
    SteveM
    Very much a DIY. Go to a rally or RV show when The Shade Man is there and get fantastic pricing!

Although I have had a lot of problems with my electric Ground Control 3 jack system, I still prefer not having the hydraulics problems. Lippert honestly has a lot of work to do on both, but you can always raise and lower the electric jacks with a ratchet!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    ...... but you can always raise and lower the electric jacks with a ratchet!
    ^^^ I had forgotten about the ability to raise them that way, but it's another excellent point!
    2019 Solitude S-Class 2930RL
    2021 RAM 3500 SRW CC Short Box HO Cummins Rear Air Suspension

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would echo what others have said. We don't have a privacy problem with the window shades. Our 2019 S-Class now has 15,000 miles and maybe we are lucky but we have not had any problems with the electric leveling system. Some have had problems with the electric landing gear levelers and the inside worm gears stripping out across all different RV manufacturers that use electric leveling. The front landing gear levelers are rated at 5000# each and replacement square tube levelers are available from e-trailer, just swap the motor over to the new one. We haven't had a problem with ours but when we hitch up, we don't run the front landing gear all the way up until it jam stops. We leave them about @ 1/4 inch down from full up.

The S-Class has much the same quality as the full Solitude line, like the same insulation and axle / suspension but typically has a much higher cargo capacity with the same 7000# axles that the full Solitude has. The full Solitude has more "bling" and nicer appliances but its nothing we miss. We don't have the One Control and are glad we don't!
    We also installed the MORryde cushioned pin box, made a big difference in towing.

Windows, we much prefer the vertical and horizontal slide windows we have than the pop-out windows of the full Solitude, and you can get double pane windows on the S-Class as well. The only problem we have had with the windows is the smaller vertical slide ones, and clogged drain holes at the bottom of the windows. If those drain holes are clogged with collected dirt / leaves over time, during gully washer rains storms the window tracks fill up with rain water because it can not run out fast enough, water gets under the glass panes, fills up the tracks and drips inside the coach.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 09-10-2022 at 07:24 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @smullinax, we have an S-Class 3350 RL. We put about 15,000 mile on it and have not had any issues with our landing gear or light incursion with shades closed. We did upgrade to disc brakes and did a 12V refrigerator conversion. Our rig fits our needs very nicely, we love our 4400+ CCC. Best of luck with your search.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has only been an issue for us in the bedroom. Light shines through the left edge of the shade in the morning and had become an annoyance. Resolved by making our own wood side valance. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	287925205_5157311447637803_7321988652745367709_n.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	43036
    Rich & Terry's Radical Sabbatical & Beyond
    Serenity & The Machine
    2020 Solitude S-Class 2930RL
    2019 RAM 3500 CC SRW HO Cummins

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vroman View Post
    It has only been an issue for us in the bedroom. Light shines through the left edge of the shade in the morning and had become an annoyance. Resolved by making our own wood side valance. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	287925205_5157311447637803_7321988652745367709_n.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	43036
    Nice looking job, I had thought of doing that myself.
    If I can ask, how did you fasten them to the wall? I guess there is aluminum framing around the window to mount to, correct?
    SteveM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast