User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a F150 towing a 2800BH. Sold both 3 months later because my wife was afraid to ride in the truck when towing. The trailer was in charge, not the truck.

I tried almost everything to make it a comfortable ride. I installed airbags on the truck. I replaced tires with E rated tires. I bought a ProPride hitch. The ProPride made the most difference but still not comfortable.

I then replaced the truck with a F350 and traded the 3 month old trailer in on a new Reflection 337RLS 5th wheel. WHAT A DIFFERENCE !
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought A new 2970rls and already had my ford f150 with a 5.0 witch pulled the camper with no trouble but cross wind or 18 wheelers would push camper and sway. So I got a3/4 ton with a7.3 gas. Basically didn’t lose but 4 grand on a 2014. Really like new truck

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    My guess is the OP didn’t hear what he wanted to hear and moved on
    Or a better guess would be I posted on Friday, was busy all weekend and checked back in on Monday.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it's frustrating. Had a1997 27 ft Prowler tt for 20+ years. Weighed right at or a little under 5000 lbs empty. 1st pulled it with a 1994 Chevy 1500 with a 5.7 gas and it did okay. Upgraded in 2002 with a new 2500 Silverado 6.0 gas and much improved. About 4 years ago, I purchased the 2011 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 gas (higher towing rating) and it did okay with the Prowler (way better than the '94) but not as good as the 2002 Chevy 2500.

Last year we retired the Prowler and bought our 2021 Imagine 2600RB as we couldn't find a comparably equipped camper in a smaller size. As I mentioned earlier in your post, the 1500 does the job, just not very well. Now the hunt is on for a little bigger truck.

The good thing is camping season is just about over (for us anyway) this year, so it allows me more time to find a more suitable tow vehicle.

Good luck.

John

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are going to run out of payload but I don’t know what you carry. I tow a 2600RB (which I think is lighter) with an F150 super crew 145” wheelbase, 5.0 V8, 4x4 with 1960lbs of payload. I am using a husky centerline hitch. I’ve towed it quite a few miles now and the truck tows it very well. I haven’t taken it over the Rockies, but been through Tennessee and the Smokies without any issues at all. There is no movement from trucks or busses 99% of the time and when there is it is usually a very slow suction towards the large vehicle but this is very rare. Obviously the larger the tow vehicle the better it will tow, but I don’t see a need for a larger one for my setup. The other thing to keep in mind is 1/2 ton trucks very a lot in tow capacity so experience one person had will be very different than another person’s experience.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @2022Silverado
    I started with F150 EB and could take grandma to church as well as tow my 2600rb. Thought all was good till I went down a twisty steep mountain road, engine was screaming. That ended my white knuckle towing. Upgraded to F350 PSD and its a perfect tow vehicle, but now I cannot take grandma to church; the ride is VERY stiff when unloaded. While this is expected, its not enjoyable for me. I ended up getting an SUV for daily driving and only drive the F350 when towing. Not cheap, at all, but thats what I had to do to get comfortable all around.
    2024 Brinkley z2900
    2019 F350 Platinum, Shorter bed, Diesel, SRW, 3.55 rear, 55gal tank!
    2016 F150 Platinum (traded in for F350 fall 2019)
    2022 GD 2970RL (Sold, 2023-Oct)
    2016 GD 2600rb (Sold. 2022-May)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, The only concern I would have is stopping power, I think your truck would pull fine and but you are right at the max and the stopping would be my concern. In the past we had Cougar TT similar in weight, with our Ram 1500 V-8, no problem towing it, but even with power brakes on the trailer, the truck was working pretty hard when going down a grade to slow the down. Sounds like it would be a nice rig, but you need to watch it on the hills.
    2022 Reflection 150 295RL 5th Wheel
    1000 Watts Solar, 400 AH Battery Victron Inverter & Solar Controller
    Wilson Cell Booster and Antenna, Wineguard 360+ antenna with 4TE Router
    2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Diesel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsnelsonlv View Post
    Hi, The only concern I would have is stopping power, I think your truck would pull fine and but you are right at the max and the stopping would be my concern. In the past we had Cougar TT similar in weight, with our Ram 1500 V-8, no problem towing it, but even with power brakes on the trailer, the truck was working pretty hard when going down a grade to slow the down. Sounds like it would be a nice rig, but you need to watch it on the hills.
    Did you have a max tow package on your truck? Exhaust brake?
    2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew LTZ 4x4
    Payload: 1,663
    Conv. TWR: 12,900

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12