User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trip to Colorado in June 2023

Well, we are planning a trip to Colorado from Estes Park to Durango with Friends from Florida in June of next year.
    Now, the wife and I have traveled all this area on a Goldwing riding two up, but now are retired and now pulling a 5'r.
    Although, riding a bike (pulling a trailer) on some of the highways were a skosh treatcheous and very doable, pulling a 5th wheel will be quite different.

All that said, can I get some input on places, highways, passes (like Independence Pass), to stay away from, to NOT take a camper, to avoid?

I have a great puller, but I do NOT want to put myself (or my Friends) in too stress of a situation that will not be enjoyable.

Ps.....one highway that comes to mind is the road out of Estes Park going over to Steamboat.....awesome on a bike, no way with a camper.

Thanks to all.
    Ray
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No matter which way you go you will have to climb a pass or two. Me, I'd go east to I25, south to I70, west to Grand Junction, south on 50 and 550 to Durango. I70 has Floyd Hill, Eisenhower Tunnel, and Vail Pass. 550 has Redmountain Pass. You could take I25 to Walsenburg and west on 160 but then you have to go over Wolfcreek Pass. This last route has the least good looking vistas but Wolfcreek is beautiful and you will get to go through downtown Pagosa Springs (and dip in the hot springs there).
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have driven 550 from Grand Junction to Durango on a Goldwing, I have also been over 160 and Wolf Creek Pass while towing a toy hauler.

550 involves the Million Dollar Highway with a lot of curves, narrow or non existent shoulder, no guardrails, and steep, long dropoffs.

160 is a very driveable road with a mountain pass that is not unusual for that part of the country. Take is at a reasonable speed and everything is fine.

My preference for travel with an RV would be 160. You will want to drive 550 from Durango to Ouray but do it without a trailer and enjoy the views.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the Mountain States Directory. It contains invaluable information about hills and grades, and includes great descriptions of the stretch of road. It was the single best investment I made that did not directly involved the coach.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to Grand Junction, south on 50 and 550 to Durango
    We’re going to be heading this direction in a couple weeks EXCEPT we’ll be avoiding the million $ hwy by going west on 62 at Ridgway, then south on 145 to Dolores. I read that’s a little more tame.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Get the Mountain States Directory. It contains invaluable information about hills and grades, and includes great descriptions of the stretch of road. It was the single best investment I made that did not directly involved the coach.
    Is this it Moonshadow.....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220909-223037_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	42965

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Is this it Moonshadow.....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220909-223037_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	42965
    Yup! That's it!
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mark

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
    No matter which way you go you will have to climb a pass or two. Me, I'd go east to I25, south to I70, west to Grand Junction, south on 50 and 550 to Durango. I70 has Floyd Hill, Eisenhower Tunnel, and Vail Pass. 550 has Redmountain Pass. You could take I25 to Walsenburg and west on 160 but then you have to go over Wolfcreek Pass. This last route has the least good looking vistas but Wolfcreek is beautiful and you will get to go through downtown Pagosa Springs (and dip in the hot springs there).
    Hey Dick, is 36 a fairly tame highway to pull on? I remember that it was a nice highway on a bike through the "Twin Peaks" area, just not sure how 5'r friendly it would be. Although doubling back on a highway isn't my prefered thing to do.....
    I just know (thinking back) that 34 out of Estes would NOT be a 5'r friendly highway.

Thanks.
    Ray

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Hey Dick, is 36 a fairly tame highway to pull on? I remember that it was a nice highway on a bike through the "Twin Peaks" area, just not sure how 5'r friendly it would be. Although doubling back on a highway isn't my prefered thing to do.....
    I just know (thinking back) that 34 out of Estes would NOT be a 5'r friendly highway.

Thanks.
    Ray
    We went up 36 from Boulder to Estes Park a few months ago. It ain’t straight and it ain’t flat but it was no problem, trucks use it to get up and down. Just pay attention to the suggested speeds for the curves and it is fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast