User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glindauer View Post
    I live in Pagosa Springs and have travelled the state quite extensively pulling a 5th wheel. If it was me traveling from Estes Park to Durango And wanted to make that trip I would take one of the two following options. First off I would take Us 36 from Estes to Boulder. From Boulder take state highway 93 south thru Golden To C470 , continue toUS 285 and head into the Mountains, very scenic, south thru out park, Salida , to Monte Vista and the west on US 160 to Durango. You go over 3 passes with Wolf Creek the steepest. Gear dow for 6 miles or so the it is an easy drive to Durango. The other way is to go east from Estes Park to I-25 ,then south about 200 miles to US160 the west about 225 miles to Durango. Personally would not travel !-70 thru the mountains as the Travel west from Denver can be horrendous, with the traffic.Taking I-25 thru Denver south for the next 100 miles is heavy traffic. So for me the first route is the one I would take
    Ditto the above. All of it. I would add that if you go south on I25 through Denver to US160, be aware that there are two bridges as you go west of Denver that are 11' something on the inner lane (old arched overpasses). So, stay in the middle lane. No problem.
    There is a warning sign about a mile before the bridges. But you still need to be aware.

Robert
    Broomfield, CO

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Well, we are planning a trip to Colorado from Estes Park to Durango with Friends from Florida in June of next year.
    Now, the wife and I have traveled all this area on a Goldwing riding two up, but now are retired and now pulling a 5'r.
    Although, riding a bike (pulling a trailer) on some of the highways were a skosh treatcheous and very doable, pulling a 5th wheel will be quite different.

All that said, can I get some input on places, highways, passes (like Independence Pass), to stay away from, to NOT take a camper, to avoid?

I have a great puller, but I do NOT want to put myself (or my Friends) in too stress of a situation that will not be enjoyable.

Ps.....one highway that comes to mind is the road out of Estes Park going over to Steamboat.....awesome on a bike, no way with a camper.

Thanks to all.
    Ray
    Wow have folks got you going a lot of ways. For me I detest the front range I25 and I70 around Denver and south of Denver

Do you want scenery or speed to get to Durango?

If it was me I would take 34 west. At Gramby you can go south on 40 to I 70, but then you have Eisenhower tunnel and Vail pass - not a problem (except traffic ). I personaly would head west to Kremmling and take 9 south and stay on 9 south crossing I70 to Fairplay then grab 285 south all the way to US 550. At Center take the short cut west (112) to Del Norte. The US 550 to Durango - stop and enjoy the hot springs in Pagosa.
    Now speed and some traffic take 34 to 9 and at Silverthorne take I 70 west to Grand Junction and take 50 south. In Montrose stay straight on to US 550 south. Now at Ridge way you can continue on US 550 on the million dollar highway over Red Mountain, Molas and Coal Bank pass. This is the most beautiful piece of road you will ever drive, but some sections are narrow with sharp switch backs and slow going. Semis drive it, but some folks towing trailers don't. It does not bother me. Just go slow and watch the signs.

If you want a more comfortable drive at Ridgeway turn west on 62 to where it joins with 145 near Placerville then south on 145. This takes you over Lizard Head pass which is an easy drive. At Deloris you can take 184 to Mancos the go east on 160 to Durango . Or take 145 to Cortez to get 160 east and stop at Mesa Verdi NP as you drive by. Mesa Verdi is between Cortez and Mancos.

Last Colorado has a web site for road conditions including construction notifications and any restrictions including access to live cameras that show road conditions https://www.cotrip.org/home

Hope this helps

BTW on I70 at Minturn you could head south on 24 to 285 at Buna Vista and continue south as above.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Change of route

Well, the route a changed a little....looks like Estes Park is out, and I can't sponser 2 campers at the Airforce Academy Fam Camp....so, we are going on priority routes.....(hopefully I can upload a picture)....basically in from Limon to Woodland Park, Walsenburg, over to Pagosa, Cortez, up to Moab Utah, back to Cortez, maybe down to Teec Nos Pos (4 corners area), over to Tierea Amarilla, Taos and finally to Amarillo.
    Man, sure looking fwd to it.....anyone see any issues with route?
    Nope......can't add picture.

Ps.....thanks so much for all that gave me input. I was good going north ((been there on Goldwing) just wanted to show Florida family traveling with me.
    I am content letting them pick route.

Thanks to all.
    Ray
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Well, the route a changed a little....looks like Estes Park is out, and I can't sponser 2 campers at the Airforce Academy Fam Camp....so, we are going on priority routes.....(hopefully I can upload a picture)....basically in from Limon to Woodland Park, Walsenburg, over to Pagosa, Cortez, up to Moab Utah, back to Cortez, maybe down to Teec Nos Pos (4 corners area), over to Tierea Amarilla, Taos and finally to Amarillo.
    Man, sure looking fwd to it.....anyone see any issues with route?
    Nope......can't add picture.

Ps.....thanks so much for all that gave me input. I was good going north ((been there on Goldwing) just wanted to show Florida family traveling with me.
    I am content letting them pick route.

Thanks to all.
    Ray
    If your going to Moab, drop down to Blanding on your way back and take a swing through Momument Valley. South of Blanding grab 95 west to the junction with 261 (take in Natural Arches NM) then head south on 261 to 163 and go south through the valley then 160 back to Cortez. BTW 160 west of Walsenburg is all good road with plenty of camping, particularity after South fork. But watch out for wildlife crossing the road the whole way.

But if you really want a loop from Durango , etc take 95 from Blanding west and connect to 24 through Capital Reef NP then 12 south to Bryce NP then swing west to Zion and then head back through Page AZ. Lots of neat stuff in between too. Probably add a week, but well worth it.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123