User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    Careful! This is not accurate. 50 amp service is not two 30amp split phase. It is two 50 amp lines in split phase @ 120v each leg (or should be, at least).
    My bad! I knew that, and don't know what I was thinking.

However, even in that configuration, if the 50 amp lines were protected in the trailer by 30 amp breakers it would "theoretically" work. And yes we know this would be a very bad electrical install, and nobody should do it!
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenaut View Post
    Hi everyone..new to the forum..I just bought a 2022 transcend in April and was wondering if anyone had any experience converting a 30 amp to 50 amp. I was quoted around 4800 just for the labor alone at the dealer. I have been seeing it for around 2500 on the web..Does anyone have any experience with this? I won't be doing it myself just wondering on the price range and whether or not it will mess up the warranties on things? Thanks
    If you have room what I would do is get a 6 or 8 circuit panel put a 50A main in it, replace your input receptacle with a 50A, install a 30A breaker to feed the existing service. You can feed a couple of new circuits off the other side or move a circuit or 2 out of your existing panel into the new one. remember to remove the neutral ground connection from your existing panel.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper111 View Post
    If you have room what I would do is get a 6 or 8 circuit panel put a 50A main in it, replace your input receptacle with a 50A, install a 30A breaker to feed the existing service. You can feed a couple of new circuits off the other side or move a circuit or 2 out of your existing panel into the new one. remember to remove the neutral ground connection from your existing panel.
    Don't forget "run 6awg wire between input and new panel."
    James and Dawn
    2019 F150 SCREW 3.5EB 6.5' - Haloview MC7109; Cooper AT3 LTX; Sumo Springs; ProPride WDH

2021 Imagine 2400BH - GY Endurance 225/75-15; MORryde CRE3000, HD shackles and wet bolts, X-factor crossmembers

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    This plan won't work because the inside breakers are also 30 amp and the Victron Inverter can't supply more than 30 amps. The Victron Inverter will give you 30 amps inside the coach if, for example:, you are connected to a 20 amp outlet and you set the Victron Inverter to "Boost" the amps between 20 amps and the max 30 amps.
    I have a Victron multiplus inverter, and while it cannot supply more than 30 amps, it can boost the power above 30 amps. If for example you had a 50 amp camper with a 30 amp supply it can supplement the available power. I have a 30 amp camper with a multiplus. I don't use a dehumidifier that I run all the time, but I have not had issues with tripping breakers since I installed my inverter. Note this is my situation with my power usage. One of the biggest issues is that all of the outlets are on one single 15 amp breaker.

There are things you can do that can help your problem electrically, but they are expensive. For example there are load shedding power centers that will turn off load and prioritize others when you have heavy draws. Magnum makes an inverter that supplements this power with the inverter. However, these are usually installed by the manufacture because of the wiring involved.

It is simplest to try to live with your power concerns through better management. That being said something you might be able to do is get a solar generator like an eco flow to supplement your power usage.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I have seen similar posts in the past on converting a 30 amp trailer to 50 amp service. I agree it would be a costly and difficult job, and probably just not worth it. But I've got a question.

Would it be possible to come off the 50 amp pedestal AC supply and Y into two 30 amp lines? Since the 50 amp supply is two 30 amp split phase lines, would making L1 and L2 be separate 30 amp supplies possible? Just wondering.........

As to the OP, even if this electrical solution would work at the pedestal, it still would require a lot of modifications at the trailer, and probably cost prohibitive unless a DIY project.
    Using a 50amp splitter " 2 30 amp outlets.. I ran a separate 30 amp circuit to power my 2nd AC for the bedroom...Minimal cost.. new power cord, receptacle, small electrical box, 2 circuit breakers, and some 10 gauge romex... https://www.amazon.com/RVGUARD-Adapter
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... If I had a stick and tin trailer that I couldn't upgrade, I would do it.

There's a couple ways of doing it, but I would go the route of making everything dual phase 50 am like you find in modern 5'th wheels. This gives you the chance to put things on dedicated breakers and do some re-wiring. To do that, you'd need to drop the underbelly and run new wiring so some of the outlets could be on their own breakers. Obviously, you'd need to replace the main infeed wire, the electrical connection on the side of you trailer, as well as the breaker box. But I vote do it. If you do, take lots of pics and post as you go.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    Hmm... If I had a stick and tin trailer that I couldn't upgrade, I would do it.

There's a couple ways of doing it, but I would go the route of making everything dual phase 50 am like you find in modern 5'th wheels. This gives you the chance to put things on dedicated breakers and do some re-wiring. To do that, you'd need to drop the underbelly and run new wiring so some of the outlets could be on their own breakers. Obviously, you'd need to replace the main infeed wire, the electrical connection on the side of you trailer, as well as the breaker box. But I vote do it. If you do, take lots of pics and post as you go.
    Sometimes we forget that not everyone camps in the same way. We often camp with 30 amp elec... I intended to do a full 50 amp conversion, but the advantage of 2 30 amps circuits "for us" was surprising and makes it unlikely that we'll convert to 50 amp.... Stick and Tin? a hidden meaning? lol
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenaut View Post
    Lot of good information and ideas from everyone.thx for that..ez start ac and watt meter are definitely on list to get..dehumidifier is just a 1 pint to help with not sweating at night and thought it might help the ac unit not work as hard..from what I have read furrion ac unit is kinda garbage..need a few things to make it run better..and well 6 months in and quit blowing cool air at 5 months and burnt the ground wire..few issues for a different thread on that..I would like to be able to run instant pot 6qt and a convection oven at same time..microwave not that big of a deal just cause I food prep every week..not time with long hrs in the job..I don't keep my water heater switch on constant just when I need it..left it on for a couple days to try it out and that's about the time my ac gave me the middle finger..coincidence maybe..lot of power outages..possible..trying to learn the best possible way to create this all from happening again and you all have given many insights to look into and I thank you all for that...been in hotels for 9 yrs for work and just got this in April and in it for the long haul so working on learning all I can about everything possible to make it better..even with all the issues wouldn't trade this home for a suite at the hilton 😂
    Are the instant pot and convection oven both plugged into the wall? If so, I am betting the breaker you are tripping is inside the trailer when those are on?

Are you also tripping the outside breaker or just inside?

ALL of your outlets on a 30A trailer are tied together, into one 15A circuit. So you really only have 15A for everything plugged in. It would be some serious re-wiring to change that, although as others have mentioned you could just add one or two outlets on a separate circuit if you went 50A. I might recommend either putting the instant pot outside while cooking - perhaps plugged directly into the pedestal? Kinda like cooking on a grill. Or cooking more with propane.

We are also full-time in a transcend, but we primarily cook with propane. Grill, oven (yes, we really use the oven), and stove. I totally get the instant pot, but perhaps the convection oven stuff could be cooked another way? Downside to the interior oven of course is it heats up the trailer - but the grill doesn’t! Lots of great travel propane grills out there, and the trailer even has a built-in output if you get an adapter for the grill.

Our technique only, but we also run the hot water heater off propane in the summer (b/c that rare a/c, microwave/hairdryer/whatever, plus water heater all on at once can overload), and then water heater on electric in the winter when running propane heat.

Idk how you feel about propane expenses - I’ve come across some ppl that really don’t like to use propane - but we go through surprisingly little with the water heater on full-time and almost all cooking on propane. It’s about 1 tank / month. Obviously the propane heater will use it up much quicker if it’s seriously cold.

Final comment is on the A/C. Obviously I’m not in your trailer, but I can tell you that our Furrion 14.5k keeps up (knock on wood), even in full-sun 95+ degree FL. We did replace the thermostat (sent by GD) to make it work right. I’ve read where some of these units are just crap from the start. Possibly you got unlucky and that was the real issue the whole time. Here’s to hoping for your sake.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123