Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stuck - Slides Will Not Come In

Hi All - I hate that this has to be my first post, but:

I have a 2020 Momentum 397THS. I've had it for three months and was at a park in Jacksonville FL for that time. I am on my first trip and used a Harvest Host in GA for one night. After getting set up last night, I wanted to get an early start. All was well until I tried to retract the main two hydraulic slides. All I get is a click from the relay next to the hydraulic reservoir. I've powered down the rig and then up again. I've tried it with and without the generator. Same thing.

I called Lazy Days tech support (they were very patient and helpful) but nothing they suggested worked. They feel the relay is at fault. They want me to bring it in but of course I can't move.

As I can't move, I need to get a mobile tech. Grand Design is closed for the weekend so I can't get pre-approval under the warranty. But I can't stay at the Harvest Host for more than a day or two.

I have a tech who is going to come out on Sunday but I thought I would reach out and see if anyone has any ideas. As there is a click, I would assume there is power so no fuse issue. Any thoughts?

Really pretty disappointed for my first trip and this happens. I have a two month trip planned that just got derailed.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    Tom
    Tom (Certified Full Time Newbie)
    2022 Grand Design Momentum 397THS
    2022 Ford F450 DRW
    Current Home Base Jacksonville, FL

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Battery condition? Are you on a generator?

Edit
    Disregard, I see the generator part of your post.
    Randy and Kris

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assume your landing gear does the same thing?

Since they are on the the same system....

Battery condition could do it. Low voltage wreaks havoc on hydraulic systems. Can you plug the truck in, run the generator, and try it again?
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would use a multi-meter to check the voltage at the relay. That would tell you immediately if the relay is working and passing voltage on to the pump motor. I assume you've checked all the fuses, and they were good.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stuck - Slides Will Not Come In

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I would use a multi-meter to check the voltage at the relay. That would tell you immediately if the relay is working and passing voltage on to the pump motor. I assume you've checked all the fuses, and they were good.
    X2 on this.

You could also take a small screwdriver and lightly tap the relay, sometimes they get “stuck”. May not permanently fix, but be enough to get the slides in to get you to your next destination.

BTW, welcome to the forum. So sorry your first post had to be under these circumstances.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaMan View Post
    Hi All - I hate that this has to be my first post, but:

I have a 2020 Momentum 397THS. I've had it for three months and was at a park in Jacksonville FL for that time. I am on my first trip and used a Harvest Host in GA for one night. After getting set up last night, I wanted to get an early start. All was well until I tried to retract the main two hydraulic slides. All I get is a click from the relay next to the hydraulic reservoir. I've powered down the rig and then up again. I've tried it with and without the generator. Same thing.

I called Lazy Days tech support (they were very patient and helpful) but nothing they suggested worked. They feel the relay is at fault. They want me to bring it in but of course I can't move.

As I can't move, I need to get a mobile tech. Grand Design is closed for the weekend so I can't get pre-approval under the warranty. But I can't stay at the Harvest Host for more than a day or two.

I have a tech who is going to come out on Sunday but I thought I would reach out and see if anyone has any ideas. As there is a click, I would assume there is power so no fuse issue. Any thoughts?

Really pretty disappointed for my first trip and this happens. I have a two month trip planned that just got derailed.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    Tom
    If you have a DC volt meter......sometimes known as a multimeter, put it on DC volts. At the pump motor area, there is a reversing contactor there and it will have a RED lead on one of the terminals. Follow that terminal wiring back to where it next attaches. That attachment point is the 80A auto-reset breaker. The RED wire coming off of the other side of the breaker should go directly to the Pos. terminal of the battery. So put one of the meter leads on the auto breaker terminal....the wire that comes from the battery. Put the other meter lead to either the neg post of the battery or frame ground and see if you have voltage that is above 12VDC. Then take the meter lead and put on the other side of the auto breaker and take a voltage reading there, making sure you have the other meter lead on the neg terminal of the battery or frame ground. Let us know your results.

If you have voltage on the auto reset breaker on the BATTERY SIDE of it....But NOT on the side that has the wire that goes to the pump motor, that auto reset breaker has failed. If you DO have voltage there, it's going to be something else and hopefully we can help you troubleshoot it further.

So if you don't have voltage on BOTH sides of the 80A auto breaker, here is a quick fix to get you going, and they you can replace the auto breaker once you get access to one. Take wire loose that is on the auto reset breaker...the one that goes to the pump. Then loosen and remove the nut on the other terminal of the auto breaker...the side that has the wire for the battery. Put the wire from the motor on the same terminal as the battery wire and tighten the nut back down. That will bypass the auto breaker and sent the power directly to the reversing contactor at the pump motor area. Try to bring in the slides again and see if the pump motor now runs. If it does, you know that the auto breaker is bad and will need to be replaced as soon as you can. You can get them in many places, just make sure that it is rated for at least 12VDC and 80A Hope this helps.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good day sir!

I've just checked and you are correct. The landing gear does not function either. I guess I really am not going anywhere!

I cannot plug in but I've tried it with the generator going and same result, just a click.

Tom
    2022 Ford F450 DRW

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    All of the fuses on the inside are good. I am hearing there may be one in the front bay but I don't know where that is and I would assume it is for the hydraulics.

About the only tool I do not have is a multi-meter and I am in the middle of nowhere so getting one is a several hour trip. I do need to get one however.
    2022 Ford F450 DRW

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaMan View Post
    All of the fuses on the inside are good. I am hearing there may be one in the front bay but I don't know where that is and I would assume it is for the hydraulics.

About the only tool I do not have is a multi-meter and I am in the middle of nowhere so getting one is a several hour trip. I do need to get one however.
    Yeah, that's the way it always works: the tool you need is the one you don't have.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bill and thanks for the welcome!!! Everyone is so helpful!

I tried the tap tap and no go. But thanks - I know for automotive starts a good whack sometimes works!

Tom
    2022 Ford F450 DRW

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast