User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yikes! I’m Peeling!

So, my 2800BH is barely four years old. Today I noticed that a large section of the clear coat is peeling off the top front of the trailer. Of course I’ll be contacting Grand Design this week. But just out of curiosity, has anyone else had this problem? And if you did, how was it resolved?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sun is terrible on rigs
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HublerFam View Post
    So, my 2800BH is barely four years old. Today I noticed that a large section of the clear coat is peeling off the top front of the trailer. Of course I’ll be contacting Grand Design this week. But just out of curiosity, has anyone else had this problem? And if you did, how was it resolved?
    Mine is only a year old, but wondering if you kept up on waxing the trailer? Is so, must not make a big difference. If not, wonder how much of a difference it would make. Mine is black so it's pretty tough to do - have to have the right cloudy day or shaded spot.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Mine is only a year old, but wondering if you kept up on waxing the trailer? Is so, must not make a big difference. If not, wonder how much of a difference it would make. Mine is black so it's pretty tough to do - have to have the right cloudy day or shaded spot.
    Most marine/rv waxes made for fiberglass are ok to do in sunlight. I know Meguiars is.

It makes a difference. I have a rockwood mini lite with white/gray front cap. Mine still looks new after 4 years with very little fade compared to some of the campers in our storage lot that are the same age.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wax.wax….wax…UV wax
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    Most marine/rv waxes made for fiberglass are ok to do in sunlight. I know Meguiars is.

It makes a difference. I have a rockwood mini lite with white/gray front cap. Mine still looks new after 4 years with very little fade compared to some of the campers in our storage lot that are the same age.
    I don't know. I wax my fiberglass boat in the sun but it's off white. I did a spot on the cap of my TT which is black and with the sun it's 140 degrees (thermo gun) so the wax pretty much baked on. I use good PTEF wax on the boat, so figure that would work on the TT. Just can't do it in direct sun. Have to wait for a cloudy day or shaded spot for me.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just going by what the manufacturers of the 2 waxes I've used says. My cap has very little fade.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has me wanting to start waxing mine. I bought it a year ago, no idea on previous maintenance but no better time to start than now. Just ordered the Macguires rv and marine to begin the ritual. Do you go over the decals as well?
    2019 Imagine 2800BH “Chaos”
    2009 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins Power “Nessy”

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by morphrider View Post
    This has me wanting to start waxing mine. I bought it a year ago, no idea on previous maintenance but no better time to start than now. Just ordered the Macguires rv and marine to begin the ritual. Do you go over the decals as well?
    Yep, go over the decals and all. Good to help protect any chrome, painted handles, etc. too.
    Chad

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And so it has begun…

Washed, then waxed everything. Glad the step son came out to help, that made short work of it after I did the cap and started down the side by myself. I think I will be doing the cap a few times per year, it has hair line cracks that can be seen when close up so anything to help the UV rays from making it worse..
    2019 Imagine 2800BH “Chaos”
    2009 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins Power “Nessy”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast