Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grey tank dump valve(s) leaking

Hey all,

We have 2 grey tanks, 1 or both or leaking past the dump gate valve. When I go to dump the tanks, I pull the cap and get a QT or more of grey water, definitely not black water

Took it to the dealer for other things and asked them to check... they put die into both tanks (2 different colors) and didn't get anything past the valve... so per the tech, no issue found. My guess is it takes several days for anything of significance to leak past the gate valve.

When we go out next week, I would like to do the test myself to determine which gate valve is leaking... question is, how much food coloring (or other die) is needed so it will show up when mixed with soap and other debris in the grey tank?

Thanks, Rick
    2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2022 Imagine 2500RL

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toy4Rick View Post
    Hey all,

We have 2 grey tanks, 1 or both or leaking past the dump gate valve. When I go to dump the tanks, I pull the cap and get a QT or more of grey water, definitely not black water

Took it to the dealer for other things and asked them to check... they put die into both tanks (2 different colors) and didn't get anything past the valve... so per the tech, no issue found. My guess is it takes several days for anything of significance to leak past the gate valve.

When we go out next week, I would like to do the test myself to determine which gate valve is leaking... question is, how much food coloring (or other die) is needed so it will show up when mixed with soap and other debris in the grey tank?

Thanks, Rick
    They may not be leaking. Quite a few people have found that the tank drain pipes do not totally empty On most (all?) GDs the valves are attached directly to the tanks, from there the drain pipes go to the sewer hose attachment point. There can be quite a few feet of such drain pipes. And they can hold quite a bit of water. Some have this issue with the black tanks The fix for those affected has been to install a valterra valve at the sewer hose attachment point.
    My Momentum does not have this issue, and I have had my underbelly opened up and seen my pipes. They have enough slope that my unit would need to be pretty far out of level for it to happen. Some others have not been so lucky.
    Last edited by huntindog; 09-10-2022 at 06:59 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, you might be right, how far away are the gate valves from the pull handles? I can't tell with the coroplast
    2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2022 Imagine 2500RL

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    They may not be leaking. Quite a few people have found that the tank drain pipes do not totally empty On most (all?) GDs the valves are attached directly to the tanks, from there the drain pipes go to the sewer hose attachment point. There can be quite a few feet of such drain pipes. And they can hold quite a bit of water. Some have this issue with the black tanks The fix for those affected has been to install a valterra valve at the sewer hose attachment point.
    My Momentum does not have this issue, and I have had my underbelly opened up and seen my pipes. They have enough slope that my unit would need to be pretty far out of level for it to happen. Some others have not been so lucky.
    Yes, occasionally I have liquid that shows up between dumps. But not always so I don't think it's a leak. I do have the Valtera which helps.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toy4Rick View Post
    Interesting, you might be right, how far away are the gate valves from the pull handles? I can't tell with the coroplast
    They are cable operated. I think most of them have 6'-8' cables.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison