User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Norcold 2118 vent baffle concern

I have searched the forum and internet as well as read the Norcold installation manual. Quick context. We have had the fridge for three years and it has never worked great but not horrible either. To be honest other than keeping the dust and cobwebs out of the bottom I have never pulled the vent covers. We just got back from a two trip last month and the fridge did not perform at all. We lost a lot of food. I did some more research and decided I would check the fans, venting ect before going to much deeper in the trouble shooting. Today I pulled the vents and there is no gap in the baffling on the top vent except at the sides. There is no way that heat can be escaping and based on what I can tell no way this baffle can be correct. Looks to me that all of the heat is just sitting in the top of the cabinet in the slide. Does anyone else’s top vent look enclosed like this?

URL=https://i.imgur.com/r2imr5H.jpg "target=new"][/URL]
    Click For Full-Size Image.

URL=https://i.imgur.com/i7vNg3x.jpg "target=new"][/URL]
    Last edited by tyates007; 09-10-2022 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Add photo

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like mine but too high. It may have come loose and worked its way up. See if it will slide down.
    Last edited by JCR GD; 09-11-2022 at 10:33 AM.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the reply. Upon further inspection it looks like when the dealer did the fridge recall that they caught the upper baffle when they slid the fridge back in. This forces it down over the vent causing the extreme temps I experienced.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tyates007 View Post
    Thank you for the reply. Upon further inspection it looks like when the dealer did the fridge recall that they caught the upper baffle when they slid the fridge back in. This forces it down over the vent causing the extreme temps I experienced.
    It's definitely not correct in the position it's in now. As I recall, that baffle piece rests on top of the fridge and goes all the way to the vent opening, angling towards it. I'll see if I have any pics of mine before the JC Refrigeration mod was done.

Found it! In this pic you see the Black baffle piece is on the top of the fridge in the rear. It angles slightly upward, then there is a bend upward that makes the end of the baffle piece end up against the inner part of the outside wall of the trailer....and just above the vent opening. This picture was taken as I was installing the Titan Twin Fan kit on mine, and that is what that wiring is, that you see in this pic. Hope this helps on how it should look.

Last edited by xrated; 09-11-2022 at 10:19 AM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tyates007 View Post
    Yup, makes more sense it is the upper one.

Edit: mine doesn’t have the wood piece, just another aluminum one like the “upper” one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D0996EE2-3017-45D4-9ADE-C35CEB77C406.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	42986
    Last edited by JCR GD; 09-11-2022 at 10:36 AM.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    Yup, makes more sense it is the upper one.

Edit: mine doesn’t have the wood piece, just another aluminum one like the “upper” one.

Name:	D0996EE2-3017-45D4-9ADE-C35CEB77C406.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	42986
    Here is a picture of the baffle rig. No metal, all wood. Basically it forces the air through the baffles before it exits the area. It is just a thing piece of balsa wood that leaves a small gap on top for the air to exit. My fridge so far has performed very well. Even in triple digit temps had maintained temp and kept ice cream hard.

I have added a thermostatically controlled fan on the bottom that I think helps a lot.

Name:	IMG_5053.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	42989

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Here is a picture of the baffle rig. No metal, all wood. Basically it forces the air through the baffles before it exits the area. It is just a thing piece of balsa wood that leaves a small gap on top for the air to exit. My fridge so far has performed very well. Even in triple digit temps had maintained temp and kept ice cream hard.

I have added a thermostatically controlled fan on the bottom that I think helps a lot.

Bill
    Bill....is yours a 2118 Norcold, or another model? It doesn't look like a 2118 is why I ask?
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    It's definitely not correct in the position it's in now. As I recall, that baffle piece rests on top of the fridge and goes all the way to the vent opening, angling towards it. I'll see if I have any pics of mine before the JC Refrigeration mod was done.

Found it! In this pic you see the Black baffle piece is on the top of the fridge in the rear. It angles slightly upward, then there is a bend upward that makes the end of the baffle piece end up against the inner part of the outside wall of the trailer....and just above the vent opening. This picture was taken as I was installing the Titan Twin Fan kit on mine, and that is what that wiring is, that you see in this pic. Hope this helps on how it should look.

Thank you. This helps a lot. I will fix and add the fans. I have them already just need to install

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post

Bill
    This is what mine would have looked like. Just a wood baffle. I figure since I am going to tear it apart and fix it now anyway I will also install a baffle at the bottom of the top vent like the Norcold manual suggest and scrap the wood piece. Thank you for the pictures

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill....is yours a 2118 Norcold, or another model? It doesn't look like a 2118 is why I ask?
    Yes, thanks for the reminder. Mine is. 1210.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS