User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Victron MPPT Controllers and Displaying Wattage

I’m installed 2 Victron 150/70 MPPTs on a system with a BMV 712 monitor. I was previously under the impression that my BMV 712 with shunt would also display charging wattage. What do I need to do to know how many watts my arrays produce? Also do I need to do anything to make sure my 2 MPPTs know about each other?
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    I’m installed 2 Victron 150/70 MPPTs on a system with a BMV 712 monitor. I was previously under the impression that my BMV 712 with shunt would also display charging wattage. What do I need to do to know how many watts my arrays produce? Also do I need to do anything to make sure my 2 MPPTs know about each other?
    Since I don't have the Victron you mentioned installed, I can't comment directly. But I was under the impression that the Victron charge controllers had Bluetooth monitors. Have you installed the monitoring app for your device? That should allow you to see a lot about what those two charge controllers are doing.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What makes my connection question even more entertaining is that one of them has two ethernet connectors, and the other does not. Same exact model complements of Amazon… Except that one is a VE.Can version and the other is not. How do I connect this together so they can communicate and not go into float early?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	42985
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What makes my connection question even more entertaining is that one of them has two ethernet connectors, and the other does not. Same exact model complements of Amazon… Except that one is a VE.Can version and the other is not. How do I connect this together so they can communicate and not go into float early?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	42985
    Looks like you need two VE.can units. From the Victron website:

Daisy Chain Additional Units
    The VE.Can SmartSolar charger is equipped with CAN bus ports. This allows for communication with additional VE.Can SmartSolar chargers. The additional units are simply “daisy chained” to each other with a single RJ45 cable between the individual units.

When connected to each other, all individual VE.Can SmartSolar chargers, will synchronise their charge stages. They can also send their data, via a single cable, to a GX monitoring device.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have two different models of the solar charge contollers. If you take brtter photos from the front, it'll be easier. What software are you using? VE Connect should allow you to "bridge" connections as a Bluetooth network.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Since I don't have the Victron you mentioned installed, I can't comment directly. But I was under the impression that the Victron charge controllers had Bluetooth monitors. Have you installed the monitoring app for your device? That should allow you to see a lot about what those two charge controllers are doing.
    Yes, most "smart" versions are bluetooth
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Looks like you need two VE.can units. From the Victron website:
    To hardwire you would be correct.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2 different sized Victrons and the shunt. My stuff is all smart bluetooth versions. The controllers act as one when switching modes. I can view all three items on my phone. The shunt doesn't really show you what the panels are producing, it is a net number to the batteries (or from) IOW, after all loads have been met, what is leftover to the batteries. viewing the controllers will show what they are producing.
    It sounds like not all of your stuff is bluetooth. I believe Victron has an option to make that work.
    Last edited by huntindog; 09-12-2022 at 06:10 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If both are Smartsolar, just use the Victron Connect app to create a Ve.smart Bluetooth network between the Shunt and the two MPPT’s. They will share info.

If you wan to get fancy you can use a Cerbo GX with three VE.Direct cables and connect it all together. Cerbo will coordinate all the units once setup. Can add a nice 5 or 7 inch touch screen to it as well.
    2022 Momentum 25G (aka "Baby Mo")
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW | 6.7 HO Aisin | 6’4” bed | 3.73 gears | air suspension | 3694# Payload
    Blog Post: 1500 Pickup’s and Towing - The REAL numbers with example
    Blog Post: 2016-2018 Imagine 2800BH - 3500 lb Axles Tire Rubbing Issues