Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

black tank flush question

There seems to be a lot of post reporting issues with the black tank flush system. Leaks, broken vacuum breakers, etc.

I'm assuming the flush is nothing more than a spay nozzle inside the tank, and I'm wondering if it really does any more to clean the tank than just filling the tank with fresh water and draining, or maybe filling tank a quarter full 2 or 3 times and draining.

On my previous 5th wheel my black tank flush got stopped up after about 6 uses, so I just got used to rinsing the tank. Doing this and using one of the fittings that go on the drain outlet that allows back flushing has worked well for me. I just carried this habit over the the Reflection and have avoided the use of the flush system.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if this is true or not, but IMO, the flush works like the old black tank wands I used to use on the end of a garden hose and stuck down the RV toilet to flush with. The only difference is that now I can hook up to the Nautilus black tank connection and use the internal sprayer built into the tank which probably does a better job than trying to spray it manually when you cant really see into the tank.

As for the issues with the breakers and suchdue to pressure, my owners manual states the folliwing:

"Sewer Tank Flusher
    The sewer tank flusher is designed to rinse the interior of the
    black tank. A separate water hookup is located in the docking
    station. Flush the tank after dumping by:
    1. Connecting the sewer hose and attaching a garden hose –
    not your fresh water hose – to the sewer tank inlet (see
    photo).
    2. Open the water supply to full pressure to flush tank.
    3. When the water runs clear from the sewer hose, shut off
    the water supply and disconnect the garden hose from the
    water source. Do not disconnect hose from flush inlet until
    water has drained from system.
    Do not leave any hose connected when not in use and do not
    add any check valves to this system"

To me, this means dont restrict the water flow when using the flush system. And thats what we do and never had any issues doing it. We also close the valve when doing it and let run a few minutes, then release the contents. Again, no issues. But, all of this assuming one has 80lbs or less of normal city water head pressure on the line while doing it.

Note: Probably would be worth keeping under 50lbs just to be on the safe side.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not saying anyone should not use the black tank flush. It's a great addition to the trailer. I'm just wondering if it does any better job of keeping the tank clean than just filling an emptying the tank with fresh water (and maybe avoiding some of the mentioned issues)??

I've used the "Geo System" for treating my sewer tank for several years, and have found it to totally prevent odors. I'm thinking it also helps me keep my black tank pretty clean.
    Last edited by dryfly; 09-12-2022 at 09:45 AM.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The black tank rinse actually does almost nothing

After I rinse with it and the water runs clear I used a toilet wand and all kinds of stuff came out
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the black tank flush, but agree it doesn’t do much as I believe the spray is weak. Too much like a lawn sprinkler, not strong like a toilet spray nozzle. I’ve found mine works best if the hose does not go through the pressure regulator, and no other water is being drawn while the flusher is running. I still use the “down the toilet” nozzle a couple of times each season, and alway before winterizing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So a newbie question. Just purchased a 351 - there is only one black water line exiting toyhauler. However, I have toilets in the master bedroom and in the garage of the toyhauler. I'm assuming both deposit into the same black holding tank. Can anyone confirm that for me. Thanks from the new guy

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawk8586 View Post
    So a newbie question. Just purchased a 351 - there is only one black water line exiting toyhauler. However, I have toilets in the master bedroom and in the garage of the toyhauler. I'm assuming both deposit into the same black holding tank. Can anyone confirm that for me. Thanks from the new guy
    The garage bath should have its own sewer hose connection behind the rear tire as well as the dump handle. The black flush should be around there as well.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What year 351? We have the 2019 351M and it has the second drain behind the rear wheel.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never had a black flush until this trailer. I always used the fill and dump and wand through the toilet method. I always thought that it was clean because the water ran clear after a bit. After using the black flush the first time, I was amazed at how much more "crap" kept coming out. I tried the old methods just to see if there was something different about the design of the new tank or something. But nope, when I used the black flush after the other methods I was able to get more out. So, I'd take the black flush over the old methods any day. Maybe it's just the design of my model, not sure, but it certainly makes a difference. I do still use the method of closing the valve and letting it fill about 1/2 to 2/3 using the black flush then open the valve all the while with the water still running until it come clean. I do not use a pressure regulator on the flush like I do for the city water inlet, so it does come out pretty strong. But so far no issues with leaks; I keep an eye on it though. One thing that helps during the fill process is to use the One Command phone app so I can stand by the dump valve and see when the water gets to 1/3 and 2/3 to open the valve before it gets too full and risk a very bad situation. Sorry for rambling...
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm. My 351 is a 23. I'm only seeing a black tank line in front of the axles and a gray tank line behind the axles. Both open/close valves are behind the axle toward the back of the rig. Appreciate all the help on this rather dark topic. All the cleaning tips very helpful for a newbie.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast