User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Class AR License for Ontario - Road Test Questions

I saw a post on another forum a couple of days ago about upgraded license requirements for towing larger 5th wheels and realized that my current "G" license in Ontario, Canada does not cover me anymore since I am over the 11,000kg, 24,200 lb combined limit.

Debating now if I spend the $2,000 and take the Class AR driver training or just use my truck and trailer and take the test. I still need to do the medical and eye checks as well as the written test.

If anyone on the forum from Ontario has taken the road test for their Class AR license please let me know what you did and what the road test entailed so I can make up my mind on how to proceed.

Thanks,
    Rob

PS it sure would be nice if dealers let you know about this kind of stuff before you pull the trailer home with an illegal license.
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to confirm, it’s your actual gross combined weight that’s over 24,250 lb? Combined GVWR can be over, that’s not a problem.
    2022 Reflection 150 278BH
    2023 Silverado 2500HD Gas
    “If you like how it tows, don’t change anything.”

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Easycamper View Post
    Just to confirm, it’s your actual gross combined weight that’s over 24,250 lb? Combined GVWR can be over, that’s not a problem.
    That is correct. I weighed the combination at the local scales and loaded lite just for the weekend I was at 24,480 lbs. I will only get heavier when we go for a couple of weeks or more.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    I saw a post on another forum a couple of days ago about upgraded license requirements for towing larger 5th wheels and realized that my current "G" license in Ontario, Canada does not cover me anymore since I am over the 11,000kg, 24,200 lb combined limit.

Debating now if I spend the $2,000 and take the Class AR driver training or just use my truck and trailer and take the test. I still need to do the medical and eye checks as well as the written test.

If anyone on the forum from Ontario has taken the road test for their Class AR license please let me know what you did and what the road test entailed so I can make up my mind on how to proceed.

Thanks,
    Rob

PS it sure would be nice if dealers let you know about this kind of stuff before you pull the trailer home with an illegal license.
    Hi, I am from Ontario as well and based on the combined weight of towing vehicle and trailer I will be over the 11,000 kg limit as well. Just wanted to find out if you went for the driver instruction and if so what was your experience. I do not have the truck or trailer yet (on order) so I would also need a driving school vehicle for classes/road test.
    Thanks

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at the training course...how to hitch up, circle check etc...no air brakes...I'd just go with my trailer.
    What did you end up doing 'other' Rob?
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by serban View Post
    Hi, I am from Ontario as well and based on the combined weight of towing vehicle and trailer I will be over the 11,000 kg limit as well. Just wanted to find out if you went for the driver instruction and if so what was your experience. I do not have the truck or trailer yet (on order) so I would also need a driving school vehicle for classes/road test.
    Thanks
    Hi serban,
    @Scott'n'Wendy I took the course from TTCC that is located in Ontario. I am glad I did. The MTO expects inspection checks, in cab checks, specific wording when answering questions and backing into what basically is a loading dock with walls on each side and if you touch the cones it is an automatic failure. Ask me how I know. Too confident and a bit cockie as my wife says I can get. I would do this training again just to work through the ways to deal with the MTO because besides my parking issue (totally mine on setup) the course set me up very well for the rest of it. I am sure it can be done without the course but I suspect that for me anyway, I would have failed for other reasons than my own "sure I can get it in there from this position" when it should have been "you need to reposition".

Any specific questions just let me know.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks,
    Rob

Don't see the AR classification on Ontario.ca. It states that a driver may hold a class A, B, C, D, E, F, G, G1, G2, M, M with L condition, M1, M2, or M2 with L condition driver’s licence, or combination. It also looks like a Class D let's you drive a vehicle over 11000kg or any combination as long as the trailer is not over 4600 kg
    Last edited by Bungy; 05-08-2023 at 07:01 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi serban,
    @Scott'n'Wendy I took the course from TTCC that is located in Ontario. I am glad I did. The MTO expects inspection checks, in cab checks, specific wording when answering questions and backing into what basically is a loading dock with walls on each side and if you touch the cones it is an automatic failure. Ask me how I know. Too confident and a bit cockie as my wife says I can get. I would do this training again just to work through the ways to deal with the MTO because besides my parking issue (totally mine on setup) the course set me up very well for the rest of it. I am sure it can be done without the course but I suspect that for me anyway, I would have failed for other reasons than my own "sure I can get it in there from this position" when it should have been "you need to reposition".

Any specific questions just let me know.

Rob
    Rob, thank you for the info. I will sign up for the course as well, I see there is a TTCC in Peterborough close to where I live. Did you use their vehicle/trailer or yours?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by serban View Post
    Rob, thank you for the info. I will sign up for the course as well, I see there is a TTCC in Peterborough close to where I live. Did you use their vehicle/trailer or yours?
    I used their vehicle for the test and training.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    Don't see the AR classification on Ontario.ca. It states that a driver may hold a class A, B, C, D, E, F, G, G1, G2, M, M with L condition, M1, M2, or M2 with L condition driver’s licence, or combination. It also looks like a Class D let's you drive a vehicle over 11000kg or any combination as long as the trailer is not over 4600 kg
    It is there at this link. https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-truck-drivers-licence

My trailer and combination is over both weights. You can also pull a 5th wheel combo up to 11000 kg even if the trailer is over the 4600 kg. Very confusing until you do a bit of research. I bet there are lots of people driving illegally with a G license in Ontario.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast